Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Beethoven write any pieces with a harp or guitar in them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Beethoven write any pieces with a harp or guitar in them?

Or any other rarer instruments (glockenspeil, triangles, chimes, xylophone, etc.)?

Kind Regards,
    Preston
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Apart from the socalled Battle Symphony (Wellington's Sieg) for mechanical orchestra, a handful of short pieces for a Flötenuhr, and two charming sonatinas for mandoline, he also composed a duo for viola and cello "mit zwei obligaten Augengläser".
    I wonder though if ever someone dared to improvise the continuo part on his glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston:
      Or any other rarer instruments (glockenspeil, triangles, chimes, xylophone, etc.)?

Kind Regards,
      Preston

Dear Preston;

Beethoven's only use of the harp appears in his ballet "Creatures of Prometheus." This piece also marks the only time Beethoven used a basset horn (bass clarinet).

If I am not mistaken, Beethoven wrote a series of pieces for the mandolin.

Hofrat
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

He probably wrote a short piece for the glass harmonica – Melodram, composed for drama entitled Leonore Prohaska, but due to some problems the producion never occured.

Glass harmonica, or armonica, was relatively popular in Mozart's and Beethoven's times. This musical instrument was invented by Benjamin Franklin, but there existed some oldish, similar instruments. It uses a series of glass bowls to produce musical tones.

Comment

Kind Regards,
          Preston
          Preston;

As for the triangle, we have his 9th symphony!!

Hofrat

Comment

Although it isn't unconventional for our time period but the introduction of trombones and piccolo were a rarity in the symphony in Beethoven's time. We find these instruments introduced in the 5th Symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
              Although it isn't unconventional for our time period but the introduction of trombones and piccolo were a rarity in the symphony in Beethoven's time. We find these instruments introduced in the 5th Symphony.

Dear Sorrano;

Beethoven was not the first composer to introduce trombones in a symphony. According to my research, the Swedish composer, Joachim Eggert (1779-1813), conducted his third symphony in E-flat on 14 May 1807 in Stockholm. Eggert's E-flat symphony is scored with three trombones. That is a full 18 months before Beethoven premiered his fifth symphony on 22 December 1808 in Vienna.

Someone else will have to research if Beethoven's usage of the piccolo and the contrabassoon in his fifth symphony was a premiere event.

Hofrat

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:

Someone else will have to research if Beethoven's usage of the piccolo and the contrabassoon in his fifth symphony was a premiere event.
                Hofrat [/B]
                French music from the period right after the French Revolution is full of piccolo's; that has to do with the influence of military band music. We can hear the instrument in many of the hymnes and marches, but also in Gossec's 1795 Symphonie Militaire. No doubt there are earlier examples. But for sure Beethoven was highly influenced by this style of music, and its spirit; in fact the Viennese complained about his excessive use of winds in the 1st or the 2nd Symphony.

Comment

Do not forget the beautiful "Romanze" for soprano and harp from "Leonore Prohaska". Also his "Variations on a Swiss air" were written for either harp or piano.
                  There are four pieces for mandolin and piano, one of them being a rather substantial theme and variations.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 07-31-2006).]

Comment

Dear Sorrano;

Beethoven was not the first composer to introduce trombones in a symphony. According to my research, the Swedish composer, Joachim Eggert (1779-1813), conducted his third symphony in E-flat on 14 May 1807 in Stockholm. Eggert's E-flat symphony is scored with three trombones. That is a full 18 months before Beethoven premiered his fifth symphony on 22 December 1808 in Vienna.

Hofrat
                    Did Eggert continue to use the trombones in later symphonies? My line of thinking is that Beethoven influenced later composers more so than did Eggert. And thanks for reminding me about the contrabasson. I had completely forgotten about that!

Comment

Did Eggert continue to use the trombones in later symphonies? My line of thinking is that Beethoven influenced later composers more so than did Eggert. And thanks for reminding me about the contrabasson. I had completely forgotten about that!
                      Dear Sorrano;

Eggert only completed four symphonies before his untimely death in 1813 at the age of 34. He did start a fifth symphony which was scored for three trombones.

Eggert lived and worked in Sweden, far from the main stream of European music, and his music career lasted a mere decade. Of course Beethoven, who lived and worked in Vienna the music capital of Europe for nearly four decades, had more influence. But with regard to trombones, most European orchestras did not need them on a regular basis until 1840, so Beethoven was not a driving force in that respect. After the 1808 premieres of the 5th and 6th symphonies, Beethoven would not use trombones in a symphony until his 9th.

Hofrat

Comment

Dear Preston;

Beethoven's only use of the harp appears in his ballet "Creatures of Prometheus." Hofrat
                        Hofrat,
                        Do you know if there is anyway to get this ballet on DVD, has it been performed and taped?

I would really like to hear it and the "Romanze" for soprano and harp from "Leonore Prohaska".

Kind Regards,
                        Preston
                        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Hofrat,
                          Do you know if there is anyway to get this ballet on DVD, has it been performed and taped?

I would really like to hear it and the "Romanze" for soprano and harp from "Leonore Prohaska".

Dear Preston;

"Creatures of Prometheus" and "Leonore Prohaska" have been recorded on CD. I have seen a video of a concert performance of "Prometheus" (that is, the music was played but not danced). That is how I learned about Beethoven's only use of the basset horn. I have never seen the dancing performed or recorded.

Hofrat

Comment

Dear Sorrano;

Eggert only completed four symphonies before his untimely death in 1813 at the age of 34. He did start a fifth symphony which was scored for three trombones.

Eggert lived and worked in Sweden, far from the main stream of European music, and his music career lasted a mere decade. Of course Beethoven, who lived and worked in Vienna the music capital of Europe for nearly four decades, had more influence. But with regard to trombones, most European orchestras did not need them on a regular basis until 1840, so Beethoven was not a driving force in that respect. After the 1808 premieres of the 5th and 6th symphonies, Beethoven would not use trombones in a symphony until his 9th.

Hofrat
                            I'm thinking of a "lineage" or style of orchestration for the Symphony including Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, etc. Berlioz, on the other hand had his inspiration, undoubtedly, from the orchestrations of the French Grand Opera.

It appears to me that Beethoven was fairly conventional as an orchestrator and perhaps a tad conservative?

Comment

It appears to me that Beethoven was fairly conventional as an orchestrator and perhaps a tad conservative?
                              Hi Sorrano. This post jumped out at me when I saw it. If you post this view as a New Topic, I think you will generate very good traffic. Go on, trust me!!

Comment

Working...
                              X