Beethoven Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven Weekend

The Beethoven scholar, John Suchet is presenting a weekend of Beethoven on Classic FM over the August Bank Holiday here in the UK. I guess you can also listen in on the web.

In his inimitable style, John guides us on a journey through the music of arguably the greatest composer ever to have lived.

In the first of four programmes – John looks at Beethoven’s early years - right through to the first signs of deafness. The concert includes the Symphony No.2, the Pathetique Sonata and the 1st Piano Concerto.

The second Beethoven special examines his "Heroic" phase, and includes the Pastoral Symphony, the Eroica Symphony and the amazing Variations on God Save the King.

John’s third offering sees us through the Napoleonic wars and Beethoven's increasing deafness. Musically, there are gems like the Battle Symphony, Fidelio and the Choral Fantasia.

In the final programme, John focuses on the composers declining years and features the Symphony No.9, the late quartets and the stunning Hammerklavier Sonata.

John Suchet's Friendly Guide to Beethoven starts at 9pm 25th August and runs until
    28th August.

Also look out for his new books on Beethoven.
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Great! A badly needed antidote to the overdone Mozart celebrations. I don't want to re-open the Beethoven-Mozart debate, but it is nice to know that B does not rely on anniversaries. The Beethoven Experience of last year and now this weekend surely prove that.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio:
      The Beethoven scholar, John Suchet is presenting a weekend of Beethoven on Classic FM over the August Bank Holiday here in the UK. I guess you can also listen in on the web.
      Any idea what the URL/link is?

Also look out for his new books on Beethoven.
      I've tried for months to order those fictionalized "biographies" by Suchet from Amazon, but they continually turn up "unavailable"--even from secondary market sources.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidO:
        I've tried for months to order those fictionalized "biographies" by Suchet from Amazon, but they continually turn up "unavailable"--even from secondary market sources.
        I tried the same - without any succes

Comment

I would say Suchet is more a Beethoven enthusiast than a genuine scholar, though that is not necessarily the lesser of the two! His background is in TV and other media, not music. But without doubt his interest in Beethoven is genuine, unlike some of the other presenters you get at Classic FM. He has written some quasi-biographical novels about Beethoven but I have never been interested in reading this kind of thing myself.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-05-2006).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

The paperback edition of the first novel, "The Last Master" is available at play.com and there is no postage charge.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
              The paperback edition of the first novel, "The Last Master" is available at play.com and there is no postage charge.

Michael

I have the three volume set and got it on ebay. You can try there.

Comment

You could try these contacts which may or may not be out of date!

info@allelectricproductions.co.uk

Tel 01264 361924

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  I would say Suchet is more a Beethoven enthusiast than a genuine scholar, though that is not necessarily the lesser of the two! His background is in TV and other media, not music. But without doubt his interest in Beethoven is genuine, unlike some of the other presenters you get at Classic FM. He has written some quasi-biographical novels about Beethoven but I have never been interested in reading this kind of thing myself.

I can well understand your reluctence to name Suchet as a 'scholar', but the research and visits that must have been completed for his novels was immense, Barry Cooper acknowledged this. I am sure his new forthcoming book (not the classic FM one!)on the last years of Beethoven's life will be welcome by fans and scholars alike.
                  Fidelio

Comment

I can well understand your reluctence to name Suchet as a 'scholar', but the research and visits that must have been completed for his novels was immense, Barry Cooper acknowledged this. I am sure his new forthcoming book (not the classic FM one!)on the last years of Beethoven's life will be welcome by fans and scholars alike.
                    If you read my comments again you will notice I do not regard the term 'enthusiast' to be a lesser grade than 'scholar'. I was just making a point of fact.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Yes, I have read the final volume of Suchet on Beethoven. He certainly loves his subject and as far as bringing the great man to a wide audience he is first class. Having said this, I think he rarely says things that would tax any member of this forum and almost never deals with his subject in much detail. Still, his enthusiasm is infectious and it's no mean achievement for him to have written at such length on Beethoven. He loves the man and his music and that's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Yes, I have read the final volume of Suchet on Beethoven. He certainly loves his subject and as far as bringing the great man to a wide audience he is first class. Having said this, I think he rarely says things that would tax any member of this forum and almost never deals with his subject in much detail. Still, his enthusiasm is infectious and it's no mean achievement for him to have written at such length on Beethoven. He loves the man and his music and that's wonderful.

The final volume of the trilogy is a bit of a disappointment but then how could anybody get inside the mind of the composr of the Ninth Symphony, the Missa Solemnis and the last string quartets?

Comment

This begins on Friday folks....set your alarms!
                          Anyone read his Classic FM book yet?
                          Fidelio

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                            how could anybody get inside the mind of the composr of the Ninth Symphony, the Missa Solemnis and the last string quartets?
                            Listening to them. This is music about the mind.

Marek

Comment

Originally posted by Marek Krukowski:
                              Listening to them. This is music about the mind.
                              That's maybe the only one way how to do that, but it doesn't ensure success yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X