Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Hi I am new on here and to classical music. Recently discovered the master Beethoven and because of him I am now learning the cello. Does anyone have any suggestions of pieces either by Beethoven or any other composer that mainly have cello? Thnks

Lauren

Hi and welcome! There's Beethoven's Complete Sonatas for Pianoforte and Cello where you can listen and read about these pieces, hope this helps a little.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by lauren:
      Hi I am new on here and to classical music. Recently discovered the master Beethoven and because of him I am now learning the cello. Does anyone have any suggestions of pieces either by Beethoven or any other composer that mainly have cello? Thnks

Lauren
      Hi Lauren - great to hear you've been inspired to learn the 'cello by Beethoven's music. As far as I'm aware he was the first to write sonatas for the 'cello and they are indeed great music, my particlar favourite being Op.69.

Also there are his excellent piano trios and the Triple concerto. Unfortunately he didn't compose a concerto for 'cello, but other composers did - Haydn, Schumann, Saint-Saens, Elgar and Dvorak's are the most famous.

Bach also wrote six beautiful suites for solo 'cello which reveal his mastery of the solo instrument genre.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by lauren:

Lauren
        Beethoven's sonatas for cello and piano are the best of their kind, he also wrote some excellent sets of variaions for the same combination.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Hi Lauren - great to hear you've been inspired to learn the 'cello by Beethoven's music. As far as I'm aware he was the first to write sonatas for the 'cello and they are indeed great music, my particlar favourite being Op.69.

I prefer the early Opus 5 sonatas. They seem full of ideas and vigour. The works of a cocky young man-about-town when all must have semed possible, but without the imminent heartache...

Comment

Thanx for the recomendations! I can learn alot from everyone on here.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
              I prefer the early Opus 5 sonatas. They seem full of ideas and vigour. The works of a cocky young man-about-town when all must have semed possible, but without the imminent heartache...
              I think all five sonatas are astonishing. Op. 102 is a first step to last period, the real discovery of most fascinating music land ever was discovered. Op.5 are probably most ambitious works of young composer, and exactly in some aspects they were never surpassed. But my favourite is Op. 69 one of most perfect achievments of miidle period. Especially Scherzo is one of most exciting pieces of music ever was written. Many years ago I used to crush with it all these Bach fanatics who maintained Beethoven was not worthy to listen at all.
              Lauren if you want something for your boyfriend try op. 69 - it is full of most crazy cello riffs. If it doesn't work you probably must change your loudspeakers to some thirty - thirty five year old model.

Marek

Comment

Originally posted by Marek Krukowski:
                Many years ago I used to crush with it all these Bach fanatics who maintained Beethoven was not worthy to listen at all..

Marek

Those guys are the worst, worse even than Wagner fanatics!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Naturally - at least the Wagner brigade can claim Beethoven as a hero. The Baron Von Swieten's are of course deaf to anything after 1800. I know some people who won't go beyond 1600!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Isn't that a bit like the pot calling the kettle black?? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                      Isn't that a bit like the pot calling the kettle black?? ;-)
                      So you disagree?

------------------

Comment

Back to the topic, a ravishingly lovely piece for cello that is not to difficult to play is Massenet's 'Meditation' for cello and piano from his opera 'Thais.' Even better if you can find a pianist to accompany you. The composer's place in the repertory rests almost solely on this piece.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 08-20-2006).]
                        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

As both a Wagner and Bach fanatic, I disagree. The worst are the Beethoven and Handel fanatics. Trust me, I know this from experience.
                          See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:

As both a Wagner and Bach fanatic, I disagree. The worst are the Beethoven and Handel fanatics. Trust me, I know this from experience.
                            Ha! Ha!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:

Actually, the worst by far are the Stevie Nicks fanatics (dubbed "chiffonheads"). They're stupid, ugly, solipsistic, anti-intellectual & obtuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X