Battle Music With Cannon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle Music With Cannon

To: Everyone, and there are a few of you, who answered my quest for The Battle Symphony ( the one with hardware- cannons included!!)

I'd like to say thank you very much for (a)making me smile and
    (b)helping me find the CD my hubby wanted! Amazon will come up trumps but only because of your information, thank you all very much.X
    Margaret H.

[This message has been edited by Margaret H (edited 08-16-2006).]

There is a famous recording on the Mercury label (cat no 434 360-2) which for sure has the cannons and this is as loud as the battle of the Somme on a particularly heavy bombardment day. Performed by Antal Dorato and the London Symphony Orchestra, cannons from the 2nd New Jersey Light Artillery Civil War Unit! Alas it is bundled with filler items - T's 1812 and Capriccio Italien - but never mind. There are other recordings with cannon too.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 08-15-2006).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Alas it is bundled with filler items - T's 1812 and Capriccio Italien - but never mind.

Ha! Ha!

Comment

And another thing - Bach and Handel were interested in canons but Beethoven and others feature cannons ! Downhill ever since ! Ha !

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

And another thing - Bach and Handel were interested in canons but Beethoven and others feature cannons ! Downhill ever since ! Ha !

Not quite Robert, Beethoven never scored for real cannons, he used drums to simulate them, and rattles to simulate muskets. From what I've heard of period instrument drums they make really good cannons if you hit them hard.

------------------

Comment

When we saw this at the symphony hall they used drums, as Rod said, and it was done very well indeed, quite convincing. Also saw Tchaikovsky's 1812 done in the same fashion there and again nicely done.

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              There is a famous recording on the Mercury label (cat no 434 360-2) which for sure has the cannons and this is as loud as the battle of the Somme on a particularly heavy bombardment day. Performed by Antal Dorato and the London Symphony Orchestra, cannons from the 2nd New Jersey Light Artillery Civil War Unit! Alas it is bundled with filler items - T's 1812 and Capriccio Italien - but never mind. There are other recordings with cannon too.

I have that recording. I thoroughly enjoy "Wellington's Victory" but I would have to admit that the "1812" is, musically, a better work. (Yes, I know ... gasps of horror and all that....).
              The only mistake Tchaikovsky made was in giving the French the Marseillaise. It completeley obliterates the old Tzarist anthem every time it comes up.
              Beethoven played it smart and gave the English "Rule Brittania" and "God Save the King" while the French were stuck with "For he's a Jolly Good Fellow".

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Boom! Boom!

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                  When we saw this at the symphony hall they used drums, as Rod said, and it was done very well indeed, quite convincing. Also saw Tchaikovsky's 1812 done in the same fashion there and again nicely done.

Joy, were you born in an orchestra pit??!! You seem to see so many great concerts. Wow! Go get 'em, girl!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:

Beethoven played it smart and gave the English "Rule Brittania"...

Michael

But he wrote that for Britt Ekland. He gave the British "Rule Britannia".....

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                      I have that recording. I thoroughly enjoy "Wellington's Victory" but I would have to admit that the "1812" is, musically, a better work. (Yes, I know ... gasps of horror and all that....).
                      The only mistake Tchaikovsky made was in giving the French the Marseillaise. It completeley obliterates the old Tzarist anthem every time it comes up.
                      Beethoven played it smart and gave the English "Rule Brittania" and "God Save the King" while the French were stuck with "For he's a Jolly Good Fellow".

Michael

I believe you have said this before, and I believe I said that I believed Beethoven gave the French the best tune. Concerning the 1812, the only part of it I like is the opening... I think, I can't remember the last time I listened to it all the way through.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                        Joy, were you born in an orchestra pit??!! You seem to see so many great concerts. Wow! Go get 'em, girl!!

Oh, if it were true, but no, the Phoenix Symphony has a great variety of musical pieces that they perform all season. We have a new conductor who is bolder than the ones in the past and he presents quite a lot of gems for the audience and I try to attend as many concerts as I can throughout the season.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X