Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
    I've never heard it Rod Please enlighten me (or us) with a "Brucie Bonus"
    Watch this space. For the unenlightened who know nothing of Brucie, see: http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk.../13/52567.html

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-26-2006).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      What's the big deal with Bach and trumpets? Robert made a similar remark about his Bach Sinfonia. Some of Handel's choruses used veritable armies of brass! My authentic recording of the Fireworks music has 9 trumpets, 9 horns, 24 oboes, 15 recorders, 12 bassoons and as a Brucie Bonus a couple of contrabassoons...just to add a bit of colour.

The point is not to compare it with Handel, but that the trumpets in these Bach choruses help to communicate tremendous dramatic emotion. And I'm not speaking of the arias here.
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
        Not quite so, Chaszz, I tend to think that Bach's homophonic works are dry but the fugues (particularly the organ fugues) I cannot get enough of. My comment above is simply that I think of some of the fugues in Beethoven's later works to be the highest expression of that art form, but I do not consider Bach's polyphonic output dry at all! And that you mention the fugues in the choral music, I haven't considered them much since I am not too familiar with the choral music.

Sorry that I misinterpreted your comments.

I personally don't consider any fugue as surpassing the last movement of the Musical Offering.

And, forgive me, but I must say it: if you are not familiar with the B Minor Mass, it is analagous to speaking of Beethoven without being familiar with the Missa Solemnis and the Ninth Symphony.

With a few exceptions (such as the Chaconne), I think that the strongest emotion in Bach is in the church music, specifically the choruses. Since he adapted some of the most moving choruses from the cantatas into the B Minor Mass, you get a kind of of "Best of" the cantatas by becoming familiar with the Mass. Caution to not dwell on the very first movement, a chorus which I've always thought is second rate at best. I would simply skip it when listening to the Mass for first time.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 07-26-2006).]
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:

The point is not to compare it with Handel, but that the trumpets in these Bach choruses help to communicate tremendous dramatic emotion. And I'm not speaking of the arias here.
          I was just a little surprised that the inclusion of a trumpet was worthy in itself as a discussion point regarding Bach's music. When you are discussing choruses I am fully aware you are not dicussing arias!

I've heard the Mass, and the John and Matthew Passions before you ask. I heard them on TV or the radio but I was always tempted to do a little 'skipping'!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-26-2006).]

Comment

I personally don't consider any fugue as surpassing the last movement of the Musical Offering.
            Why don't you give us an MP3 (or better still a WMA as the quality is superior) of this movement Chaszz?

------------------

Comment

Sorry that I misinterpreted your comments.

And, forgive me, but I must say it: if you are not familiar with the B Minor Mass, it is analagous to speaking of Beethoven without being familiar with the Missa Solemnis and the Ninth Symphony.

With a few exceptions (such as the Chaconne), I think that the strongest emotion in Bach is in the church music, specifically the choruses. Since he adapted some of the most moving choruses from the cantatas into the B Minor Mass, you get a kind of of "Best of" the cantatas by becoming familiar with the Mass. Caution to not dwell on the very first movement, a chorus which I've always thought is second rate at best. I would simply skip it when listening to the Mass for first time.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 07-26-2006).]
              I have heard parts of the B minor Mass and will have to spend more time with it, for sure. I've listened oft to the St. Matthew Passion and a number of the Cantatas and I have to agree with you that his Church music is indeed, very fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                Watch this space. For the unenlightened who know nothing of Brucie, see: [
                Excuse me if I appear dim, Rod, but are you seriously suggesting that Bruce Forsythe wrote the Quintet Fugue?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                  Excuse me if I appear dim, Rod, but are you seriously suggesting that Bruce Forsythe wrote the Quintet Fugue?

Michael

Forsythe is a man of many talents.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X