• Show
Clear All

I got your point, Rod! ;-)

Comment

Is there an echo in here ?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
        Is there an echo in here ?
        I just noticed the repeats! Obviously a technical issue somewhere, wasn't being a megalomaniac, not my fault..

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

My above refers to the fact that the last time I looked, Rod's last message appears to have been posted three times - on my computer anyway. Was this an illusion?

Comment

My above refers to the fact that the last time I looked, Rod's last message appears to have been posted three times - on my computer anyway. Was this an illusion?
            No it was real, I've just deleted a few.

------------------

Comment

Oh, got the message. I thought you had finally flipped, Rod

Comment

Oh, got the message. I thought you had finally flipped, Rod
                Some would say I flipped a long time ago.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  ...wasn't being a megalomaniac, not my fault..

It never is, Rodders, it never is.....

Comment

I am shamefaced to confess that I never saw this BBC docu-film "The Genius of Beethoven" until very recently; last week, in fact! I remember a good while ago that Preston posted something about it elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find the full 3 parts, only YouTube extracts at that time.
                    Anyway, saw it finally last week and really I thought it was excellent. Great acting from Paul Rhys, and those eyes of his were just as I could imagine Beethoven's. Perhaps a bit unremittingly intense, but that slightly protruding upper lip was spot on.
                    Another thing: I want a big black coat just like the one the actor wore - billowing out behind him as he stomped around Vienna or in the country. Total class that coat is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier View Post
                      Rod, even if I feel the Romantic period pales in comparison with Beethoven or Handel, I can't have such disdain for other classical composers because they didn't reach the same heights. They reached different heights, and think about this: This music is indeed *classical* and for a reason. The world will not have anything like Beethoven ever again. Nor will it have a Mozart, a Chopin or Brahms. We have Eminem, Dixie Chicks, and an insane invasion of "rap" from people who actually call themselves "artists." The world is in a dark age of music and might not ever see light. Music is no longer art, it's dance music. So taking in the scope of things that the art of music is gone, maybe even forever, I tend to appreciate most classical composers and at least find something in them. They reached the summit of the artform, and we would be fools to think that one day music will return to that state.
                      i know this was a while back but I ressurected it to say I agree with this view and in the main it is true...now we have that Gaga creature- music is getting worst- in fact it is reduced to horrid sounds made to accompany vulgar half naked prancing tarts.

However...there is one light shining through and they are Sigur Ros from Iceland. Magnificent and moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VvB_UmmIzk

Oh the crescendo at 7:48- can you listen to this and not get a lump in your throat???

This is real music folks. From our century! It is post rock.

I feel Beethoven would like it.
                      Last edited by AeolianHarp; 12-06-2013, 05:08 PM.
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                        I am shamefaced to confess that I never saw this BBC docu-film "The Genius of Beethoven" until very recently; last week, in fact! I remember a good while ago that Preston posted something about it elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find the full 3 parts, only YouTube extracts at that time.
                        Anyway, saw it finally last week and really I thought it was excellent. Great acting from Paul Rhys, and those eyes of his were just as I could imagine Beethoven's. Perhaps a bit unremittingly intense, but that slightly protruding upper lip was spot on.
                        Another thing: I want a big black coat just like the one the actor wore - billowing out behind him as he stomped around Vienna or in the country. Total class that coat is.
                        I love this series- seen it on you tube a few times! I love the contest with Daniel Steilbert- Paul Rhys's Beethoven's facial antics are hilarious. I also love the Moonlight Sonata scene- Julie's face as he plays it is priceless.

I think Paul portayed the emotional intensity very well, though of course he is rather too tall, but we cannot have everything. Yes, sometimes too intense- I think he was more humourous than this portrayal. I think he resembled Beethoven from the 1803 portrait quite well at times.

Did you get the coat?
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
                        X