The Genius of...Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano:

THREE...hadn't read all the posts to this point, sorry.
    All for one...

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Then there are two of us. The Beethoven fans here should speak up more in the wave of the Mozartian invasion (to name but one)! Believe me a lot of people who visit here rate Beethoven number three or less!

I think I have made it clear down the years that my top three favourite composers are Beethoven, Beethoven and Beethoven. Bach or Haydn would come in fourth.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
        I think I have made it clear down the years that my top three favourite composers are Beethoven, Beethoven and Beethoven. Bach or Haydn would come in fourth.

Michael

I think so

Comment

Michael

You can be D'Artagnan.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Athea:

I think so
            You can be, er.., D'Artagnan's best friend.

------------------

Comment

So who gets to be Aramis... and Porthos?

Comment

Dear Rod,

Yes, I am sure I can get this Sinfonia from Cantata 29 to you as an email attachment.

The Beethoven 'Consecration of the House' is simply wonderful. I adore it. On every level. It was the piece I chose some years ago from thousands (including Bach) when I met a person with a huge vinyl record collection - she asked me to make a selection from to play right then on her son's wonderful hi fi system. (She loved it at the first hearing). One of those works that just never stops amazing me. Awesome. A masterpiece. Marvellous !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
                  So who gets to be Aramis... and Porthos?
                  There are plenty of Cardinal Richelieus......................

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 07-18-2006).]

Comment

There are plenty of Cardinal Richelieus......................

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 07-18-2006).]
                    Don't - You'll only get Robert started off again!

------------------
                    Beethoven the Man!
                    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Michael

I'd agree with your top three, Michael (and it's close between them all), but I'll throw you a curve and plump for Schubert as no.4. He was the only other "Great" composing simultaneously (and in the same place) with the Master. For his songs alone (not LvB's greatest field), I'll go with Herr Franz.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                        I'd agree with your top three, Michael (and it's close between them all), but I'll throw you a curve and plump for Schubert as no.4. He was the only other "Great" composing simultaneously (and in the same place) with the Master. For his songs alone (not LvB's greatest field), I'll go with Herr Franz.

You always had a weakness for Schubert, PDG.
                        I really don't know why I'm indifferent to him. I find the Ninth Symphony boring and as regards the "Unfinished", I'd prefer it if it were the "Unstarted".
                        However, I absolutely adore his Fifth Symphony so there's hope.

Michael

P.S. I rather like Beethoven....

Comment

His Symphonies are not his strong points. Go for the piano works. His Piano Sonatas, Songs, Impromptu's, Fantasies (like the Wanderer) and other misc piano pieces are what display Schubert's amazing abilities.

Discovering Schubert's piano music is like discovering fire by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
                            His Symphonies are not his strong points. Go for the piano works. His Piano Sonatas, Songs, Impromptu's, Fantasies (like the Wanderer) and other misc piano pieces are what display Schubert's amazing abilities.

Discovering Schubert's piano music is like discovering fire by accident.
                            And his songs!!! Don't forget his songs!!

Comment

Had Franz Schubert lived even a few years more what other masterpieces he would almost certainly have written. It seems his last few years (say, the period from 1826 onwards) are those of phenomenally fast maturing, work by work almost. His Octet, his Quintet in C, his last sonatas, D960 etc. There are dozens of great works by him. I specially like his earlier music too including the early symphonies, the incidental music to 'Rosamunde', parts of the late Mass in E Flat, and have always loved his 3rd Symphony. Plus the trios - plus.... plus....etc

He could be passionate but I think he can hardly be compared with Beethoven for his dramatic power. He's far more lyrical, more 'Mozartean', to my ears anyway. Beethoven was that too, of course. Still, Schubert is undoubtedly one of the truly great composers. His songs are of course exquisite.

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 07-19-2006).]

Comment

Thanks, guys. Nice to have stirred up some interest in Mr FPS!

Comment

Working...
                                X