Problem with piano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with piano

What should I do if my parents aren't satisfied when they see I play the piano? I think my execution is not so bad, a granny who was a teacher of music say me that I am very good. But the reason is my parents don't like playing the piano at all...

Originally posted by Athea:
    What should I do if my parents aren't satisfied when they see I play the piano? I think my execution is not so bad, a granny who was a teacher of music say me that I am very good. But the reason is my parents don't like playing the piano at all...
    Get the (your?) granny to talk to your parents. If they respect her they will take notice and be more sympathetic to you.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-23-2006).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Do your parents not like the piano sound or do they look down on you because piano playing is your hobby? Well, there's nothing worse than unsupportive parents, but with something like piano, if your passion for it is true, don't give up just because your parents don't like it.

Comment

Adopt some new parents.

Phone my free helpline for some more useful advice (calls are charged at £100 a minute).

Agony Aunt PDG

Comment

What parents would not like their child to play the piano? Every parent I know would be thrilled to have their son or daughter take up music instead of, say, joining a street gang. What better hobby is there? Could they be concerned that your playing is getting in the way of doing well in school? That is the only possible explanation that I can think of.

Comment

Athea,
            I would say stick at it if I were you, show your determination , they will get used to the idea. Do your parents or yourself like any other musical instrumet ?
            I wish I'd had the opportunity to learn.

All the Best
            Megan

[This message has been edited by Megan (edited 07-23-2006).]
            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Get the (your?) granny to talk to your parents. If they respect her they will take notice and be more sympathetic to you.

It's a good idea, but unfortunately my granny lives on the opposite side of country and we aren't in contact with her so much. She is the only person in my family who has an interest in music (with me, of course)

Comment

I think my case is a bit curious - mostly there are parents who drive their children to play the instrument even when the children hate it -
                and it is exactly conversely with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
                  Do your parents not like the piano sound or do they look down on you because piano playing is your hobby? Well, there's nothing worse than unsupportive parents, but with something like piano, if your passion for it is true, don't give up just because your parents don't like it.
                  I never give up! Although I don't have any piano at home, because its sound is TOO loud for the others, so I play at another granny, but I can practise only once a week. However, it makes me happy, so why don't play?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                    Every parent I know would be thrilled to have their son or daughter take up music instead of, say, joining a street gang. What better hobby is there?
                    I think so

Originally posted by Chris:
                    Could they be concerned that your playing is getting in the way of doing well in school? That is the only possible explanation that I can think of.
                    I have the best report which a student can get

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                      Adopt some new parents.

Phone my free helpline for some more useful advice (calls are charged at £100 a minute).

Agony Aunt PDG

Oh, it is so amazing idea, I will ruminate on your suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by Megan:
                        Athea,
                        I would say stick at it if I were you, show your determination , they will get used to the idea. Do your parents or yourself like any other musical instrumet ?
                        I wish I'd had the opportunity to learn.

All the Best
                        Megan

[This message has been edited by Megan (edited 07-23-2006).]
                        I think every ordinary musical instrument is too much loud for my parents, I learned play the fipple flute when I was younger, but it seems the piano is the best for me

Comment

I am considering that I will persuade my parents get the granny's piano home. Actually, I do it always
                          Thanks for your replies - but you can post another, of course. It's good there are people who love music as me

Comment

If they cannot stand the noise, perhaps you could get an electric piano or keyboard that you could plug some headphones into, so you don't disturb anyone else. Not as good as playing the real thing, but much better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
                            X