Beethoven etc. and the Cold War in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven etc. and the Cold War in Armenia

Beethoven, Bach, Glazunov and Khachaturian are an unlikely quartet to be blamed for the collapse of civilization as we know it. But these men, according to a story kept alive in the family of my Armenian friend Mr Chaldranyan (who now lives in London and doesn’t really care much for classical music) must be blamed for events that occurred long ago in his home town. During the Cold War. It’s a strange story so I'll tell it more or less as it was told to me – some weeks ago. It certainly made me laugh. But it also rings true. (My friend was happy to fill in details when it became obvious I was very interested).

Apparently, my friend’s family were people of substance in that Armenian town.before the Russian revolution in 1917. The Revolution changed all that although the family as a whole were spared persecution by Stalin. They lost property but managed to keep their main house. The town itself was medium sized. The sort of place where even in the 1950’s the Soviet postmaster drank vodka with the Soviet police inspector and where the Soviet mayor was on good terms with, say, the Soviet baker and the Soviet shoemaker. Things went on there in their slow Armenian way. Until, that is, the arrival at the Chaldranyan house of one Aram Kbachaturian – the famous Armenian composer. (1903-1978).. My friend believes the date must have been around 1952.

Khachaturian (himself Armenian) arrived at the Chaldranyan house. The precise reason for his visit is unknown to my friend. (In fact this story came to him from his mother, who was told it by her own mother). The composer brought with him some musical friends. And some vodka. At this time the Soviet ballet ‘Gayane’ (written first in 1942 and revised in later years) was quite popular – especially the famous ‘Sabre Dance’ that features in its last act. And Khachaturian was in very happy mood. Mr Chaldranyan asked them all to stay for dinner. Mrs Chaldranyan started cooking,

Some hours later this women came in to the living room and was amazed to see Khachaturian performing his own ‘Sabre Dance’ wearing nothing but a pair of underpants and with all the men (including her husband) in definite party mood. (The composer was humming the tune himself as he danced with hands above his head)

News of this party got around. Within weeks the Chaldranyan home was being visited by great musicians of all kinds, including several pianists and members of an orchestra. They would often stay for ages, Drinking, laughing, sleeping, discussing Beethoven, Bach, and Glazunov. (As well as our friend Khachaturian). And over the next few months it’s said that the influence of these ‘mad’ artists was so great that Mr Chaldranyan’s life changed (much to the horror of his wife). He was apparently rescued from this ‘bohemian’ lifestyle only by the nagging of his strong-minded wife.

These events lasted all together nearly 1 year and the story of these extraordinary artists and their lifestyles in that house is still legendary in the home town of my Armenian friend.

I'm afraid I don't see what's so bad about this. =\

Maybe you didn't finish the story? Your first sentence, for example, sets this up like something really awful happened and then you mentioned that this family escaped persecution from Stalin. By the end of your post, though, you didn't fill us in on what the disastrous consequence was that befell this family, or why
    Beethoven, Bach, Glazunov and Khachaturian are... to be blamed for the collapse of civilization as we know it
    Did I miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
      I'm afraid I don't see what's so bad about this. =\

Maybe you didn't finish the story? Your first sentence, for example, sets this up like something really awful happened and then you mentioned that this family escaped persecution from Stalin. By the end of your post, though, you didn't fill us in on what the disastrous consequence was that befell this family, or why Did I miss something?
      I think the first sentence was a little melodramatic--referring to the decadence of civilization via the composers.

Comment

I think that this small town had never seen people like Khachaturian and his colleagues. Nor had the Chaldranyan family. The fact that the man of the house was continually entertaining them brought a sort of crisis to them and became the talk of the town. I do not say, of course, that it was literally the collapse of civilization as we know it.

Please don't take this too seriously, will you ?

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:
          Please don't take this too seriously, will you ?
          I re-read the post and I understand the tone of the story now, and also the implication of the first sentence. It's indeed interesting, but I've been listening to Brahms a lot today, so I apologize for taking things so seriously. I guess I should go get a shot of a Beethoven scherzo or menuet.

Comment

Working...
          X