An odd Beethoven piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An odd Beethoven piece

I heard this on the radio today. Not one of Beethoven's better pieces, I'm afraid. However, even his lesser pieces are better than whatever is on the other stations.

Music for a Ballet of Old Germany
    Ludwig Van Beethoven
    COND Bela Drahos
    ORCH Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia
    Naxos 553431

I was wondering about "Creatures of Prometheus." Does the ballet ever get performed? Is there a videotape of it?

------------------
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Originally posted by sjwenger:
    I heard this on the radio today. Not one of Beethoven's better pieces, I'm afraid. However, even his lesser pieces are better than whatever is on the other stations.

Music for a Ballet of Old Germany
    Ludwig Van Beethoven
    COND Bela Drahos
    ORCH Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia
    Naxos 553431

I was wondering about "Creatures of Prometheus." Does the ballet ever get performed? Is there a videotape of it?

What are you talking about, I have that recording of the 'Ritterballett' and I think the music is very good. He composed it for a soiree by Count Waldstein in 1791. All the local nobility dressed in traditional costume for the ballet.

The Prometheus music has certainly been performed but not recently as a ballet as far as I am aware. No video exists.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I agree with Rod - I think this music is very good.

Comment

The Ballet of Old Germany, or the "Ritterballet" (Knightly Ballet) as it is more commonly known was publicly credited to Count Waldstein and for years it was believed that Waldstein was the composer.
        It has the accidental distinction of being "Work without Opus No.1".

Michael

Comment

Believe me, you can get very merry (drunk)in a very short space of time if this great "trifle" is played LOUD over a pub's PA system at half past ten on a Friday night. The riff-raff don't have a clue so they leave early. Suits the rest of us (hic)!! Now where's that busty wench with my tankard?........

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
            Believe me, you can get very merry (drunk)in a very short space of time if this great "trifle" is played LOUD over a pub's PA system at half past ten on a Friday night. The riff-raff don't have a clue so they leave early. Suits the rest of us (hic)!! Now where's that busty wench with my tankard?........
            What pubs do you go to, Peter? I think you'd better lay off the Botox!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
              What pubs do you go to, Peter? I think you'd better lay off the Botox!

Michael

Well, Michael, they serve a very cool Guinness at the Brahms & Liszt. I'll meet you there to discuss Beethoven, Beetholes (geddit??) and Schubert!! But not Botox or Bartok. If there's any difference.....<hic>

Comment

Well, Michael, they serve a very cool Guinness at the Brahms & Liszt.
                I wonder how such a pub was founded. Where is this place exactly? I'm guessing somewhere between Weimar and Vienna... or maybe at the nexus of the universe? =)

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
                  I wonder how such a pub was founded. Where is this place exactly?
                  Well, young Nightklavier, with a name like yours you will be more than welcome at our famous establishment (even more popular than The Restaurant at the End of the Universe). Just click your heels three times, close your eyes and repeat the phrase "I wish I were at the Brahms & Liszt"......<hic>

Comment

Ok, PDG. After clicking my heels and repeating, "I wish I were at the Brahms & Liszt" I became dizzy and suddenly found myself in a bizarre setting. I was a fly on the wall in a 19th century music room with some interesting figures sitting around. I noticed a couple of men talking to each other and although I couldn't understand the language, I could pick up names like "Raff" and "Joachim" through the dialogue. Then I noticed a skinny man with wild long hair approach a table with a pile of manuscripts lying about. It was Liszt(!) examining some music scores which certainly seemed illegible from my vantage point. Off to the side was a young but larger man; he seemed nervous. I realized at that point that I was at the Altenburg in Weimar witnessing the famous meeting of Liszt and Brahms. Liszt picked up something from the table and I could barely read the title. It looked like it said: "Scherzo in E-flat minor" and Liszt went to his piano with the score in hand. He then sight-read the entire work with passion and insight, even providing commentary simultaneously to the delighted Brahms. Then a couple of Liszt's friends in the room persuaded Liszt to play his own Sonata in B minor. A few minutes after Liszt started, I noticed Brahms dozing off in his chair. Liszt noticed this too as he glanced over to his friends and especially to Brahms. With a scowl, Liszt continued to pound his way through the work. I never heard a more impassioned or enraged execution of the Sonata... and I was perplexed how all of those dissonant thunderous chords could not wake this snoring German up. Anyway, Liszt played the entire work through to the end and then silently left the room with a permanent scowl on his face. The scene faded away and I was back in my home.

Obviously, I made a mistake and didn't end up at this famous "Brahms & Liszt" pub. But after witnessing this incident, I have to ask... are there lots of bar fights at this pub? It seems like such a title would suggest an inherent hostility in the place. Well, anyway, I'll try again later

Comment

Darn it, you were in the Public Bar while the rest of us were in the Lounge.

Two questions: (1) Are you aware of cockney rhyming slang?; and (2) What's the name of that famous painting of Liszt at the piano with that huge bust of Beethoven upon it?

Your membership card is in the post. Kindest regards from the Brahms & Liszt.

[This message has been edited by PDG (edited 07-22-2006).]

Comment

Darn it, you were in the Public Bar while the rest of us were in the Lounge.
                        Oh, well how do I get to the lounge?

Are you aware of cockney rhyming slang?
                        I'm aware of it and but have yet to integrate it into my speech.

What's the name of that famous painting of Liszt at the piano with that huge bust of Beethoven upon it?
                        I believe it's just called "Liszt at the Piano." And I remember the artist: Danhauser (no relations to Tannhauser )

And thank you for the membership card. I also expect that a monthly newsletter and complimentary gift is included?

[This message has been edited by Nightklavier (edited 07-22-2006).]

Comment

Working...
                        X