Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many pieces of music did Beethoven write?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many pieces of music did Beethoven write?

Hi all,
    I was hoping that someone could tell me how many pieces did Beethoven write? I have looked on the site but couldn't figure it out.

Preston

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 07-13-2006).]
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Originally posted by Preston:
    Hi all,
    I was hoping that someone could tell me how many pieces did Beethoven write? I have looked on the site but couldn't figure it out.

Preston

Golly gosh, ask us one on sport!! Unless someone else does so first, I'll have a stab at this, with genre breakdowns, tomorrow (too late now....zzzzzz).

Comment

Well, it depends if you are talking complete works or not. The Biamonti Listing, the most complete and accurate one I know, has 849 entries in its main body, plus 3 appendices. Discounting the appendices as being either not by Beethoven, or else not demonstrably by Beethoven, one then has to eliminate the many sketches and incomplete works in the main body. A formidable task, I'm afraid. Or too much so to do right now without just cause You could comfortably say between 300 & 400 complete works though...

Cheers,
      Gurn

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 07-14-2006).]
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks, why does The Biamonti Listing have over 800 works and the Opus + WoO have only over 300. That is a major difference.

I don't understand how someone could safely say 300-400 when there may be 800. What am I missing?

Interesting seeing you on this forum, too.

Kind Regards,
        Preston

Comment

Originally posted by Preston:
          Thanks, why does The Biamonti Listing have over 800 works and the Opus + WoO have only over 300. That is a major difference.

I don't understand how someone could safely say 300-400 when there may be 800. What am I missing?

Interesting seeing you on this forum, too.

Kind Regards,
          Preston

Because he includes all of the sketches too. There are several hundred of them. And don't forget the dozens of works cataloged by Willy Hess that don't appear in Op or WoO listings either. They are mainly complete works too. Lots of lovely little piano pieces, for example. Also, B's arrangement of the Op 14 #1 piano sonata for string quartet (Hess 34, I believe). Lots of little goodies like that. If you get off the main highway of symphonies, sonatas & string quartets, you will find a whole lot of interesting works, most small, some not. Well worth the not inconsiderable effort it takes to round them up.

Cheers,
          Gurn
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn, thank you for your help.

Preston

Comment