Beethoven Symphony Arrangements for 8 Hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven Symphony Arrangements for 8 Hands

Today I received two very helpful emails from a Mr Markus Burger saying that a version of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 (and perhaps others) was published in 1886 for 8 hands (2 pianos) by the Leipzig music publisher CF Peters, this arranged by the German Theodor Kirchner (1823-1903). Mr Burger has also told me that this 8 hand arrangement is still available through 'Edition Toole'.

The full arrangement score can be seen online by visiting the site of the Library of Rochester and also on mP3.

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/handle/1802/1714?mode=full

This arrangement must surely sound amazing and I will certainly listen to this soon.

So someone already HAS made such a version. Brilliant !

RN

Originally posted by robert newman:

Today I received two very helpful emails from a Mr Markus Burger saying that a version of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 (and perhaps others) was published in 1886 for 8 hands (2 pianos) by the Leipzig music publisher CF Peters, this arranged by the German Theodor Kirchner (1823-1903). Mr Burger has also told me that this 8 hand arrangement is still available through 'Edition Toole'.

The full arrangement score can be seen online by visiting the site of the Library of Rochester and also on mP3.

This arrangement must surely sound amazing and I will certainly listen to this soon.

RN

Dear Robert;

C. F. Peters has made piano 4-hands arrangements of Beethoven's symphonies and piano concerti. They have also made similiar arrangements for symphonic works of other composers (I have in my modest score collection arrangements for Brahms' symphonies and Weber's overtures).

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Thanks Hofrat. 8 Hands arrangements would be really remarkable to hear I'm sure. Thanks again for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

RN

There is a typographical error: the company referenced as "Editions Toole" should be "Editions Poole", see http://www.editionspoole.com.

Beethoven's 6th Symphony for 8 hands can be heard at: http://www.editionspoole.com/ed/Beet...ethoven_68.htm

I also offer for free (to registered users) download a version of Beethoven's 5th symphony for 8 hands -- this is one of three known published arrangements of Beethoven's 5th, it is the least quality and hence I make it available for free.

Comment

Did Beethoven name each movement of the 6th symphony, or was it named by someone else?

Kind Regards,
          Preston
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Dear jlpoole,

Thank you for the privilege of hearing this remarkable version of a Beethoven symphony.

Thanks too for pointing out the mis-spelling of the edition's name. It should be Edition Poole.

Many and sincere thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Preston:
              Did Beethoven name each movement of the 6th symphony, or was it named by someone else?

Kind Regards,
              Preston
              Hi Preston. The man himself provided the titles. How do you rate this great work?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston:

Kind Regards,
                Preston
                He did indeed. Plus the symphony breaks from the standard symphonic form of the time in having five movements, rather than the four typical of the Classical era. The movements are marked as follows:

Awakening of joyous feelings upon arrival in the country: Allegro ma non troppo
                By the brook: Andante molto mosso
                Happy gathering of country folk: Allegro
                Thunderstorm; Storm: Allegro (My personal favourite)!
                Shepherd's song; cheerful and thankful feelings after the storm: Allegretto

Also the last three movements are performed together without a pause.

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

PDG,
                  Sorry for the late reply, I completely looked past, and didn't see your post, on to the next one.

Let me take a couple more years of piano and the study of music theory, then I will get back to you.

As far as harmony, rhythm, melody, understanding the piece musically, ect. I am not at a point where I can understand that. Although, I know it is genius.

I think that it is brilliant to make a symphony based on nature. I imagine it as one of Beethoven's most enjoyable works, feelings of nature. I have read that the symphony is based on feelings and does not paint a picture.

I have also read that Beethoven's music is very hard to fully understand, even by the greatest composers, musicologist, ect. I feel that is because that Beethoven is past your average human mind. His mind and thoughts were different. Things that we couldn't imagine. Realness and thought that we couldn't imagine.

I think the piece is full of joy and peace. While I don't understand every aspect of it, I try to pick up on a few things.

Kind Regards,
                  Preston

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 07-13-2006).]
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                    Plus the symphony breaks from the standard symphonic form of the time in having five movements, rather than the four typical of the Classical era. The movements are marked as follows:

Awakening of joyous feelings upon arrival in the country: Allegro ma non troppo
                    By the brook: Andante molto mosso
                    Happy gathering of country folk: Allegro
                    Thunderstorm; Storm: Allegro (My personal favourite)!
                    Shepherd's song; cheerful and thankful feelings after the storm: Allegretto
                    This is one of the reasons why I found the whole 19th century "War of the Romantics" so hypocritical and lame. Brahms, Schumann and Joachim, the proponents of "absolute" music without a programme or story behind the music against Wagner and Liszt: I can't understand how anyone took sides with that. Beethoven proved that BOTH outlooks and styles of composing can produce great music. He had his String Quartets and Sonatas for Violin, and he had his "Les Adieux" sonata and the Pastoral symphony. When one wishes to argue philosophically over the "absolute" compositions against the "programme" music I just have to shake my head in disappointment. Both ideas produce extraordinary music.

I like what Alkan has to say about it, responding to inqueries about his Grande Sonate 'Les quatre ages': "It is not a question, here, of imitative music; even less so of music seeking its own justification, seeking to explain its particular effect or its validity, in a realm beyond the music itself. The first piece is a scherzo, the second an allegro, the third and fourth an andante and a largo; but each one corresponds, to my mind, to a given moment in time, to a specific frame of mind, a particular state of imagination. Why should I not portray it? We will always have music in some form and it can but enhance our ability to express ourselves; the performer, without relinquishing anything of his individual sentiment, is inspired by the composer's own ideas: a name and an object which in the realm of the intellect form a perfect combination, seem, when taken in a material sense, to clash with one another... Let me also call upon Beethoven in his authority. We know that, towards the end of his career, this great man was working on a systematic catalogue of his major works. In it, he aimed to record the plan, memory or inspiration which gave rise to each one."

Does anyone know if the part about Beethoven's catalogue is true? I don't remember reading that anywhere so I don't know.

Without sidetracking the thread too much, I also thought I'd inform everyone if they didn't know already that Naxos is soon going to release the long awaited Liszt Piano Transcriptions of the 7th and 8th symphonies performed by Konstantin Scherbakov. Naxos and Scherbakov did such a good job with the other symphonies that I can't wait for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
                      This is one of the reasons why I found the whole 19th century "War of the Romantics" so hypocritical and lame. Brahms, Schumann and Joachim, the proponents of "absolute" music without a programme or story behind the music against Wagner and Liszt: I can't understand how anyone took sides with that. Beethoven proved that BOTH outlooks and styles of composing can produce great music. He had his String Quartets and Sonatas for Violin, and he had his "Les Adieux" sonata and the Pastoral symphony. When one wishes to argue philosophically over the "absolute" compositions against the "programme" music I just have to shake my head in disappointment. Both ideas produce extraordinary music.

I like what Alkan has to say about it, responding to inqueries about his Grande Sonate 'Les quatre ages': "It is not a question, here, of imitative music; even less so of music seeking its own justification, seeking to explain its particular effect or its validity, in a realm beyond the music itself. The first piece is a scherzo, the second an allegro, the third and fourth an andante and a largo; but each one corresponds, to my mind, to a given moment in time, to a specific frame of mind, a particular state of imagination. Why should I not portray it? We will always have music in some form and it can but enhance our ability to express ourselves; the performer, without relinquishing anything of his individual sentiment, is inspired by the composer's own ideas: a name and an object which in the realm of the intellect form a perfect combination, seem, when taken in a material sense, to clash with one another... Let me also call upon Beethoven in his authority. We know that, towards the end of his career, this great man was working on a systematic catalogue of his major works. In it, he aimed to record the plan, memory or inspiration which gave rise to each one."

Does anyone know if the part about Beethoven's catalogue is true? I don't remember reading that anywhere so I don't know.

Without sidetracking the thread too much, I also thought I'd inform everyone if they didn't know already that Naxos is soon going to release the long awaited Liszt Piano Transcriptions of the 7th and 8th symphonies performed by Konstantin Scherbakov. Naxos and Scherbakov did such a good job with the other symphonies that I can't wait for this one.
                      Too answer on the sidetrack..I've got Katsaris performing all nine symphonies and Sharbakov performing the ninth..STUNNING pieces and even more so STUNNING performances

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
                        When one wishes to argue philosophically over the "absolute" compositions against the "programme" music I just have to shake my head in disappointment. Both ideas produce extraordinary music.
                        They work because the 'programme' is not overt. The programme, even if beethoven describes it, is subordinate to the musical function. If Beethoven had not provided these titles it would not have mattered one iota from a musical perspective.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                        X