Consecration of the House Op124 on Authentic Instruments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    I give instructions above what to do if you are using Explorer. It is not difficult, I am somewhat exasperated!

Try using the Ateach Asc instructions which are far simpler and less dangerous and actually work! Thanks Ateach!

One of the comments left by LVB had to do with his undying admiration of his illustrious German predecessor Friedrich Haendel. Consecration of the House is most undoubtedly a tribute to Haendel because its beginning is a very barely disguised form of the opening bars of Haendel's Royal Fireworks Music.

If you don't immediately understand this comment, try listening to the Royal Fireworks after you heard the Consecration... then see how far you can hum the opening bars of either of the two works without slipping into the work with which your humming didn't begin!

The Hanover do an interestingly lively take on this LVB masterpiece.

------------------
    A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

[This message has been edited by lvbfanatic (edited 07-03-2006).]

Comment

great music, thanks Rod!
      P.S: i use explorer and didn't have any problem while downloading the music..

Comment

Here is the link to the overture as promised, performed by the Hanover band, from their 'Beethoven Overtures' CD on Nimbus Records . My usual server is not working today so try this link. Let me know if you have any problems.
        Any comments welcome.

Great music , thanks Rod!
        P.S:i use explorer and didn't have any problem while downloading..

Comment

Originally posted by waldstein:
          great music, thanks Rod!
          P.S: i use explorer and didn't have any problem while downloading the music..
          I bend the knee and kiss your hand!

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-03-2006).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic:
            Try using the Ateach Asc instructions which are far simpler and less dangerous and actually work! Thanks Ateach!

One of the comments left by LVB had to do with his undying admiration of his illustrious German predecessor Friedrich Haendel. Consecration of the House is most undoubtedly a tribute to Haendel because its beginning is a very barely disguised form of the opening bars of Haendel's Royal Fireworks Music.

If you don't immediately understand this comment, try listening to the Royal Fireworks after you heard the Consecration... then see how far you can hum the opening bars of either of the two works without slipping into the work with which your humming didn't begin!

The Hanover do an interestingly lively take on this LVB masterpiece.

Hey my instructions work! Ateach's instruction is of course simpler but doesn't solve the underlying problem. What I suggest is not dangerous and is actually useful for the use of the browser not just from this site. Never mind.

The best solution is not to use Explorer at all, use Mozilla Firefox which is free to download. Everyone I know uses this. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

I had never made the Fireworks connection myself in the opening section, I'll have to try them both again together. It is the fuge section where Beethoven's principle theme is a direct undisguised Handel quote. As I mention above I can supply Handel's original if anyone is interested.

The band takes the overture at a lively pace because for the most part the work is Allegro con brio. Anything slower than this performance (as alas I have heard elsewhere) is simply missing the point.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-03-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:

It is Beethoven's 124th published work.

Hofrat

Er, no it was not! Although it was among the last dozen or so works published before the composer's death.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                Er, no it was not! Although it was among the last dozen or so works published before the composer's death.

Of course many of the non-opus numbered works were published as well in his life time. not that I'm one to pick points Mr Hofrat...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-04-2006).]

Comment

As I mention above I can supply Handel's original if anyone is interested.

Please do! I very much like both of these works and having them side by side will be an absolute delight!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic:
                    Please do! I very much like both of these works and having them side by side will be an absolute delight!

Here is the link to the track. It's the opening sonata to Chandos Anthem Nr1 'O be joyful in the Lord'

I'm using the usual mysharefile server now which was not working for overture the other day. You should have no trouble with this file. The sonata begins with a brief slow intro followed by the fugal section which you will immediately recognise from the overture. http://www.mysharefile.com/v/886511/...them1.wma.html

If necessary I can upload the overture again to mysharefile if people need it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-04-2006).]

Comment

Here is a new link to the Overture for the technically challenged:
                      http://www.mysharefile.com/v/2512561/1_op124.wma.html

Hope you guys like it.

For the record the Sonata is performed by Harry Christophers and The Sixteen, from the Complete Chandos Anthems set, Chandos label. An excellent buy.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-05-2006).]

Comment

Here is a new link to the Overture for the technically challenged:
                        http://www.mysharefile.com/v/2512561/1_op124.wma.html

Hope you guys like it.

For the record the Sonata is performed by Harry Christophers and The Sixteen, from the Complete Chandos Anthems set, Chandos label. An excellent buy.

Thanks Rod - nice performance.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Here is the link to the track. It's the opening sonata to Chandos Anthem Nr1 'O be joyful in the Lord'

I'm using the usual mysharefile server now which was not working for overture the other day. You should have no trouble with this file. The sonata begins with a brief slow intro followed by the fugal section which you will immediately recognise from the overture. http://www.mysharefile.com/v/886511/...them1.wma.html

If necessary I can upload the overture again to mysharefile if people need it.

Thankyou for this lovely little gem Rod. I would like to hear more of them.
                          I was rather intrigued by the name 'Chandos', as the only Chandos I am familiar with was Henry James Bridges, 1st Duke of Chandos owner of the famous portrait of William Shakespeare, now displayed in the National Portrait Gallery,
                          Tudor section.
                          I wasn't aware that Handel composed these Anthems for the Duke of Chandos.
                          Very interesting, Cheers for that Rod !

[This message has been edited by Megan (edited 07-05-2006).]
                          ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan:

Thankyou for this lovely little gem Rod. I would like to hear more of them.
                            I was rather intrigued by the name 'Chandos', as the only Chandos I am familiar with was Henry James Bridges, 1st Duke of Chandos owner of the famous portrait of William Shakespeare, now displayed in the National Portrait Gallery,
                            Tudor section.
                            I wasn't aware that Handel composed these Anthems for the Duke of Chandos.
                            Very interesting, Cheers for that Rod !
                            Yes they were composed for the Duke of Chandos. Join my Handel site and you may hear some more (see my forum profile for the link), but you can buy the set without any reservation, there must be more than 50 such gems in there. I hope you try the Beethoven version too!

------------------

Comment

Very good stereo and brass/strings separation in the mix. I'm not in the front row, but I'm not in the back row, either! Better on first listen than my two owned versions (both digital). Many thanks for taking the trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                                Very good stereo and brass/strings separation in the mix. I'm not in the front row, but I'm not in the back row, either! Better on first listen than my two owned versions (both digital). Many thanks for taking the trouble!
                                No problem. I know what you mean about the sound, and of course it's even better from the CD on my hifi (remember these are lo-res files). Of course it helps that the brass (especially the horns) play their parts in a manner wherby they can actually be heard(!).

I doubt there will ever be a better recording of the overture than this. The other versions I have heard have been awful tentative affairs, no wonder this magnificent piece is still absent from the repertoire.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X