Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    Thanks Rod - nice performance.

A concise review as always!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Inasmuch as I own a copy of the Nimbus CD I decided to listen to the entire thing rather than just the Consecration of the House Overture. From the initial work, the Coriolan Overture, I was deeply impressed at the gutty, raspy brass timbre, and as a former brass player I quite liked that. (This is not my first experience with period instruments, but rather a very good reminder!) In reference to the overture of the topic I found the performance very satisfying, the tempi, and the energy exhibited by the conductor and orchestra. All of the overtures on the CD are highly recommendable, as well; it's a great CD. I will have to give the Norrington Symphony cycle another good listen to. Does his (Norrington) orchestra have as good a sound as the Hanover?

Thanks, Rod, that overture has always had a special place for me, and I enjoyed being brought to it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
        Inasmuch as I own a copy of the Nimbus CD I decided to listen to the entire thing rather than just the Consecration of the House Overture. From the initial work, the Coriolan Overture, I was deeply impressed at the gutty, raspy brass timbre, and as a former brass player I quite liked that. (This is not my first experience with period instruments, but rather a very good reminder!) In reference to the overture of the topic I found the performance very satisfying, the tempi, and the energy exhibited by the conductor and orchestra. All of the overtures on the CD are highly recommendable, as well; it's a great CD. I will have to give the Norrington Symphony cycle another good listen to. Does his (Norrington) orchestra have as good a sound as the Hanover?

Thanks, Rod, that overture has always had a special place for me, and I enjoyed being brought to it again.
        I used the Coriolan overture by the Hanover Band here too. Concerning Norrington's set, like the Hanover's the sound is variable, but generally very good. However there are inconsistancies in the recording level between movements sometimes. The performances range from acceptable to very good indeed. You can by the set here in the UK for £10, which all things considered, is a bargain.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-10-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I used the Coriolan overture by the Hanover Band here too. Concerning Norrington's set, like the Hanover's the sound is variable, but generally very good. However there are inconsistancies in the recording level between movements sometimes. The performances range from acceptable to very good indeed. You can by the set here in the UK for £10, which all things considered, is a bargain.

I do have the set but haven't listened to it for awhile. It looks like I will have to dig it up; I am not sure where it is at the moment (I am in the process of reorganizing everything in my house, so things tend to disappear for a bit).

With what I did listen to I do not remember the same dynamic explosive quality that I found with the Hanover band. Did they (Hanover) record a cycle of the Beethoven Symphonies and if so how do you rate that cycle?

[This message has been edited by Sorrano (edited 07-10-2006).]

Comment

Marvellous recording Rod. Just downloaded and played this version. It's great. So much like it ! Thanks again. Totally different sound world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

I do have the set but haven't listened to it for awhile. It looks like I will have to dig it up; I am not sure where it is at the moment (I am in the process of reorganizing everything in my house, so things tend to disappear for a bit).

With what I did listen to I do not remember the same dynamic explosive quality that I found with the Hanover band. Did they (Hanover) record a cycle of the Beethoven Symphonies and if so how do you rate that cycle?

[This message has been edited by Sorrano (edited 07-10-2006).]
              Yes the Hanover Band have recorded all the symphonies. I listen to this set the most but Norrington's certainly has some explosive moments too.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Marvellous recording Rod. Just downloaded and played this version. It's great. So much like it ! Thanks again. Totally different sound world.

I agree, this is what Beethoven should sound like all the time.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X