An 'Authentic' Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An 'Authentic' Performance

Yesterday I attended a concert by the Aulos Ensemble, one of America's best known authentic intruments groups, augmented by additional well-known early music intrumentalists to about 18 pieces. The program was a lovely water music suite by Telemann followed by the better known Water Musick of Handel, the latter arranged authentically in three complete suites. Baroque intruments were used throughout, except for the double bass. Horns and trumpets were 'natural' and valveless.

Though the sound was quite nice and the concert was beautiful, I found a few drawbacks. Most glaring were the problems that the valveless horns had playing proper pitch. The first horn player was male and the second female. Each was out of pitch with some regularity, though the man's playing was worse, perhaps because his parts were more difficult. One could see by the expressions on his face during his resting times that he was fairly disgusted with how he was playing.

As well as pitch problems the horns had embouchure and phrasing problems, and the trumpets did also to a lesser extent. Although this may have been authentically the way the brass sounded on Handel's barge, for my $49 I would have preferred valved horns.

During my younger years in the pre-authentic period, I was used to a lusher sound from Handel's piece, perhaps because of extra strings which were not authentic. Also the modern strings have a brighter sound. Also, as usual in so-called authentic versions, tempos were rushed; in this case not in the allegros, which were sensible, but in the slower movments, which have a much greater majesty when played slower. Altogether I thoroughly prefer the versions from my misspent youth over these thin, somewhat inconsequential 'authentic' versions that are so common these days. And the problems the horns had were not merely a matter of taste, but a serious drawback. Although superb technicians might not have such problems, perhaps there are not enough of these around in the professional pool in one of the world's leading cities, who can handle these very difficult horns as they need to be handled.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

The issue is more the ability of the performers than the tuning. I have a recording of Handel's water music with a very large authenic orchestra where the winds are mean temperament. When the performers get it right the music sounds fantastic, when they get it wrong, well they get it wrong. But you can't beat these old horns when they get it right, and that goes equally for Beethoven's music too (just listen to all that valveless brass in Consecration of the House!).

That being said, I've yet to experience a 'modern' orchestra performance where the brass did not mess up somewhere or other. The brass parts in some of Handel's pieces are lengthy, very prominent and I presume not easy, especially on valveless models, so I can only assume he had some excellent players at his disposal at the time. I'm sure King George would have noticed a lot of bum notes.

I think you can get away with quicker tempos on gut strings as the sound they make is somewhat weaker and more transparent. But the quickest tempi on recordings can often be found with modern instrument perfomances - one of my problems with the authentic movement generally is that even they are often not quick enough!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-10-2006).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thank you for the review. Very interesting.
      (Enjoyed the coments on the valveless horns).

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 07-11-2006).]
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
      X