Quote on Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote on Beethoven

''I like Beethoven, especially the poems ''.
    Ringo Starr (member of 'The Beatles')

John Suchet, the broadcaster and Beethoven expert, met a chap who said to him:
    "Beethoven? Wasn't that the guy who cut off his ear?"

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Someone wrote about Beethoven:

"The most dynamic far-reaching creative force ever to cross the path of music."

I would like to know who said that!

Hofrat

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Here's a good one: If anyone has conducted a Beethoven performance, and then doesn't have to go to an osteopath, then there's something wrong.
        Simon Rattle

------------------
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

"Beethoven always sounds to me like the upsetting of a bag of nails, with here and there an also dropped hammer."

John Ruskin, 1881.
          (Needless to say, Mr Ruskin has been expelled from this forum).

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Roll Over Beethoven!!
            The Beatles circa '65
            A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic:
              Roll Over Beethoven!!
              The Beatles circa '65
              Chuck Berry recorded that song long before the Beatles played it.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-04-2006).]
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                Chuck Berry recorded that song long before the Beatles played it.

[/B]
                Rod is oh so correct! Berry seems to have come up with this one back in 1956, while the Beatles only repeated the thing back in 1963...

Since the thread began with the Beatles, I automatically thought of this connection...

------------------

Comment

Rod is oh so correct! Berry seems to have come up with this one back in 1956, while the Beatles only repeated the thing back in 1963...

Since the thread began with the Beatles, I automatically thought of this connection...

It's ok, I'm a bit of a Chuck Berry fan you see! But I have problem with the lyrics, why should Beethoven be Tchaikovsky's messenger boy? Surely the reverse should be the case.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-05-2006).]

Comment

It's ok, I'm a bit of a Chuck Berry fan you see! But I have problem with the lyrics, why should Beethoven be Tchaicovsky's messenger boy? Surely the reverse should be the case.

I've wondered about that myself!

------------------
                    'Truth and beauty joined'
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

The Beatles had been playing it since 1956 with their various formative line-ups, but couldn't record it until 1963 because they'd only just then acquired a recording contract (even Beethoven never got one of those.....).

Comment

But I have problem with the lyrics, why should Beethoven be Tchaicovsky's messenger boy? Surely the reverse should be the case.

Well, you know....tell the upstart, the new kid on the block. Tell your pretenders. That's how I like to see it, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                          But I have problem with the lyrics, why should Beethoven be Tchaicovsky's messenger boy? Surely the reverse should be the case.

Well, you know....tell the upstart, the new kid on the block. Tell your pretenders. That's how I like to see it, anyway.

Well, the way I spelt Mr.T's surname (now corrected!), he may not have got the message anyway. Especially if B used my local postman.

------------------

Comment

...Especially if B used my local postman.

Please Mr. Postman?

Comment

I love the Simon Rattle quote! even though time ago Franz Liszt reportedly said:
                              "I find little in the works of Beethoven, Berlioz, Wagner and others when they are led by a conductor who functions like a windmill".
                              Witold Lutoslawski (a polish composer I'd like to find some records) cleverly said:
                              "People whose sensibility is destroyed by music in trains, airports, lifts, cannot concentrate on a Beethoven Quartet"

Comment

Working...
                              X