Modern Concert Pianists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PDG:
    I'd like to acknowledge the contribution made in the modern CD, digital era to Jeno Jando (for Naxos). I've met the man. I submit that he, more than any other classical pianist, has introduced the piano music of Beethoven to more listeners, universally, than anyone else.
    I still have a few of his CDs in my 'Approved list', namely his 3 volumes of Beethoven dances, bagatelles and other small and rarely heard pieces. I must say the performances are not always the most inspired, but most of the music is very rare on CD so they're worth a look.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I'd like to acknowledge the contribution made in the modern CD, digital era to Jeno Jando (for Naxos). I've met the man. I submit that he, more than any other classical pianist, has introduced the piano music of Beethoven to more listeners, universally, than anyone else.
      Unfortunately he has also introduced the listeners to his continuous singing. Quite annoying in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff:
        Unfortunately he has also introduced the listeners to his continuous singing. Quite annoying in my opinion.

This is news to me, perhaps you are confusing him with Glen Gould!?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-04-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          This is news to me, perhaps you are confusing him with Glen Gould!?

No, I'm not. Listen up.

Comment

Very interesting to me - the question of what pianists such as Glenn Gould and (so I just learned) Jeno Jando actually sing or hum as they play. It would not surprise me if they are often seriously out of tune. But I'm not aware of any real study made of this. I do think in the case of Glenn Gould these nasal/vocal (?) utterances as he played are almost an integral part of many Gould performances. I now enjoy them though they may of course madden other listeners.

Of Jando singing/humming I too admit that I've never really listened close enough to detect this. Frankly, Jando's playing, though competent enough, has never pulled me close enough to detect it. I admit I've listened to his Mozart series for example with mild but slightly detached admiration. Nothing more. There are other soloists who make me go on aural 'auto pilot' too - including Geza Anda in particular. I now greatly love Glenn Gould despite once hating his various eccentricities. There is something profound in these sorts of musical utterances by these soloists.

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 07-05-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:
              Very interesting to me - the question of what pianists such as Glenn Gould and (so I just learned) Jeno Jando actually sing or hum as they play. It would not surprise me if they are often seriously out of tune. But I'm not aware of any real study made of this. I do think in the case of Glenn Gould these nasal/vocal (?) utterances as he played are almost an integral part of many Gould performances. I now enjoy them though they may of course madden other listeners.

Of Jando singing/humming I too admit that I've never really listened close enough to detect this. Frankly, Jando's playing, though competent enough, has never pulled me close enough to detect it. I admit I've listened to his Mozart series for example with mild but slightly detached admiration. Nothing more. There are other soloists who make me go on aural 'auto pilot' too - including Geza Anda in particular. I now greatly love Glenn Gould despite once hating his various eccentricities. There is something profound in these sorts of musical utterances by these soloists.

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 07-05-2006).]
              I agree Robert - I find Jando technically competent but musically sterile.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

And yet thanks to Naxos he must be in the record books for the number of his recordings. I've only heard the volumes I mention above which are adequate but nothing more, but I notice no singing - these disks are some of his later efforts with Naxos so perhaps they told him to shut up.

PS Peter and Robert in particular (considering you both requested it) - did you manage to download the overture? If not I'll post it again using the more reliable server.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-05-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff:

Occasionally he can be heard humming, but I think this is a consequence of Naxos having a tendency ro record the piano a tad too closely. The worst "singer" I've heard is Pollini; his DG "Emperor" Concerto is made to sound like a pub brawl singalong!

Comment

Sterile is a strong word, Peter. His interpretations are at least contemporary since his Naxos projects were only conceived in the late 80s; and this also at a time when the pianist himself was relatively youthful.

Comment

And yet thanks to Naxos he must be in the record books for the number of his recordings.

Which was my point. Because he didn't demand a king's ransom from Naxos to record all the Beethoven (as well as Schubert, Mozart, Bach, etc.) stuff, he helped create the opportunity to bring this music to many new digitally-atuned ears at bargain prices. For that alone, I admire him.

Comment

Which was my point. Because he didn't demand a king's ransom from Naxos to record all the Beethoven (as well as Schubert, Mozart, Bach, etc.) stuff, he helped create the opportunity to bring this music to many new digitally-atuned ears at bargain prices. For that alone, I admire him.

Fair enough. But this doesn't always guarantee the best quality. I am reminded of the conductor Alan Curtis and his band Il Complesso Barocco. They have recorded a whole host of Handel operas recently on more that one label because of what seems a similarly liberal contractual arrangement. Nevertheless the quality of these offerings ranges from at best average to more often than not downright bland.

------------------

Comment

In response to the topic of this thread and in contradiction of its claims, I attended an excellent recital at the weekend given by a friend of mine - Yuri Paterson-Olenich. For those of you who might happen to be in the Steyning (west sussex) area in August, there will be another chance to hear this exciting performer along with his delightful wife, Evgenia Startseva. More about these fine artists can be found at my other website www.kbam.co.uk

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

PS Peter and Robert in particular (considering you both requested it) - did you manage to download the overture? If not I'll post it again using the more reliable server.

No Rod, so the more reliable server would be appreciated!

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

No Rod, so the more reliable server would be appreciated!

Ok I'll post the track again at the relevant chain, keep a look out for it.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X