• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Concerto No. O

First of all, the following news item:

May 31, 2006. 01:00 AM
    JOHN TERAUDS
    CLASSICAL MUSIC CRITIC

Like an unwanted gift, a work by one of music's great masters got shuffled from shelf to piano bench to closet for more than two centuries.
    Until a Toronto pianist brought it back to life.
    Monday night at Pollack Hall in downtown Montreal, that pianist — the much-admired Anton Kuerti — sat down to perform the world premiere of a piano concerto by Ludwig van Beethoven that only a few people knew existed.
    The performance itself wasn't perfect, but backed up by the McGill Chamber Orchestra and its conductor Boris Brott, it did introduce us to a new and very pretty landscape in the luminous world of the great Viennese composer.

From its brisk, hunting-themed opening movement, to a slow, introspective middle, to a closing rondo fuelled by a nursery-tune theme, it was 30 minutes of aural pleasure.
    The road from long-neglected manuscript to a standing ovation from the crowd at Pollack Hall was not straight or easy.
    Wars, revolutions, natural disaster and plain-old human forgetfulness have cost us hundreds of compositions from the old masters. Often, the experts have to fill in blanks when tattered manuscripts are discovered.

What we heard Monday night was equal parts Beethoven and Kuerti, a frequent performer of the Viennese composer's 32 piano sonatas and five previously known piano concertos.
    In an interview at his Toronto home last week, Kuerti explained that he had known about this neglected concerto for a long time.

Composed when Beethoven was 14, in 1784, it pre-dates Beethoven's other works for piano and orchestra. Kuerti has named it Concerto No. 0.
    It is in the key of E-flat major, and the original manuscript is useless, because it only contains a piano part.
    When the orchestra is playing, that's what the piano part shows. But when a piano solo comes in, the orchestra portion disappears.
    German musicologist Willy Hess reconstructed the work in 1940, and it was performed by Edwin Fischer soon afterward. But few people liked the result.

Kuerti tried Hess's score 20 years ago. "I thought it was very poor," he said. So he vowed to create his own version one day.
    During the interview, Kuerti laid out his computer-printed manuscript alongside the Beethoven original (published by the German firm Schott) on his coffee table.

"I found myself with some free time in December, so I decided to sit down and write the piece," the pianist said. He figured he spent about 100 hours on the orchestration.

"Most musicologists regard it as a curiosity, but I think there is a lot of value in the piece," he said.
    "The slow movement is so beautiful, and the piano part is so much more ornamental than we are accustomed to in Beethoven."
    Kuerti created parts for violin, viola, cello, double bass, oboe, bassoon, horn — and flute. Despite being an instrument Beethoven didn't like, he mentions a flute in the manuscript. And it is central to the new score.

Kuerti thought it would make a nice companion for all the "florid passages."

The phone rang and Kuerti excused himself. One couldn't help overhearing the conversation, which was about Concerto No. 0.

"Some of what you criticized is by Beethoven himself," said Kuerti.

The caller turned out to be to his son Julian, a promising young orchestra conductor.

The half-overheard exchange exposed the landmine all musical archeologists must face.

As in the visual arts, authenticity is everything. And while the concerto's original outline is true Beethoven, the final product is also Kuerti's.

Some of it is all Kuerti, like the three cadenzas (solo passages that show off the performer's technique) and the final measures that smooth out Beethoven's abrupt ending.

But for the listener, it may be less about authenticity than about the final sound. And here, Kuerti has done magnificently, leading the audience effortlessly into the limpid sounds of the late 18th century. After all, the piece was written just three years after Mozart died.

For Kuerti, this was a labour of love. Surprisingly, for a subject as renowned as Beethoven, the pianist has made no arrangements to record the work or to have it published.

Fortunately, people in southern Ontario will be able to hear a live performance soon.

On July 7 and 8, Kuerti and Brott will team up on all six of Beethoven's piano concertos as part of the Brott Summer Festival lineup at the Dofasco Centre for the Arts in Hamilton.

End of news item.
    I am still confused by this work. I have two different versions of the Willy Hess reconstruction and I have always been under the impression that, in the original manuscript, as well as the piano solo part, the orchestral tuttis were written down as well - for piano. If that is so, then the "reconstruction" is mostly an arrangement - or "disarrangement" of the piano reductions back into orchestral passages. I hope this makes sense and if so, does anybody know actually how much of the Concerto survives?
    And where is it stated that Beethoven disliked the flute? Is Kuerti thinking of Mozart?

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 05-31-2006).]

Sorry, but I can't help noting that in one place it's said this work dates from 1784 and in another that it was composed '3 years after Mozart's death'. But the latter is of course 1794. Which of the two was it ? (I think Mr Kuerti or the journalist should really sort this out soon). But of the piece itself, I look forward to hearing it very much.

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Sorry, but I can't help noting that in one place it's said this work dates from 1784 and in another that it was composed '3 years after Mozart's death'. But the latter is of course 1794. Which of the two was it ? (I think Mr Kuerti or the journalist should really sort this out soon). But of the piece itself, I look forward to hearing it very much.
      1784 of course, though of course you may think differently Robert. I have two recordings of 'Concerto Nr0' with the Hess orchestration and although it is acceptable I agree it cold be improved on, so perhaps this new edition is worth looking at. There is a little confusion as to what Beethoven wrote in this score RE the orchestration, if you read some sources it just says the piano part only, elsewhere that the tutti is indicated in the piano part. Considering all the original versions of the 5 opus concertos contained written piano accompaniment during the tuttis I suspect the same may be the case with 'Nr0' (WoO4).

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-31-2006).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Considering all the original versions of the 5 opus concertos contained written piano accompaniment during the tuttis I suspect the same may be the case with 'Nr0' (WoO4).

That would seem to make sense, Rod. In that case, what Kuerti seems to have done is mostly a partial orchestration rather than a reconstruction - except for the cadenzas, of course.
        As the article stated, this new version has not been recorded but hopefully it will be. I like the piece very much and, without wishing to lower the nice academic tone of this thread, I wish to state here and now my conviction that the theme of the last movement was used in the 1950's film musical, "Calamity Jane".

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
          ...I wish to state here and now my conviction that the theme of the last movement was used in the 1950's film musical, "Calamity Jane".

Michael

Heck I wished I watched that movie now. 'Old campaigners' of this forum may already have the last movement on their computers as I presented it here at the mp3 page a long time ago.

------------------

Comment

In my recording of WoO4 the by David Montgomery and the Jena Philharmonic Orchestra (Arte Nova label) the pianist questions Beethoven's ownership of the piece on the grounds that basically it's not good enough (he outlines in particular a flaw in the opening of the Larghetto). Despite a note in what appears to be Beethoven's young handwriting on the script he also suggests alternatively it could have been a copy or reworking by B of someone else's concerto. The latter is more plausible than the former, there are enough Beethovenian features in the piano writing to convince me of his connection with it, the finale expecially. Certainly two phrases within the piece are to be found replicated in later Beethoven works.
            Robert need not resurrect the alledged Luchesi connection!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-01-2006).]

Comment

¿David Montgomery thinks that is not good enough? Well, it is a matter of taste. I find this concerto more enjoyable than the Concerto in B flat Op. 19. If we take into account that the young Beethoven was almost fourteen when he wrote it, and that it is very likely that this was his first orchestal effort, I think that the result is remarkable.

I find a lot of similarities between the third movement of this "juvenilia" concerto and the third one of the Concerto in C. Mainly the "hungarian" character of the melodies.

I would like to see the manuscript to develop my own theories, but all I know is that the 32 surviving pages written by a copyist includes orchestal cues for 2 flutes (i would expect 2 oboes, which was the most common practice), 2 horns and strings. Some scholars think that the corrections in the manuscript were made by the young Beethoven.

Comment

Dear Rod,

Ha ! I've no idea of any Luchesi connection with this piece other than to note that the date of 1784 is specially interesting - the date when Max Franz becomes Elector of Cologne and takes control of Bonn chapel. It's true that there is a still unidentified piano concerto of Luchesi that we know was being played by Mozart up until 1783 - having been given to him in Italy when the two men first met. But I have not heard this early Beethoven concerto and would not dare to speculate on its origin. That Beethoven at least worked on it seems quite well established.

(Completely irrelevant to this post but I am still thrilled by that 'Fidelio' I saw in London a full week ago).

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

...But I have not heard this early Beethoven concerto and would not dare to speculate on its origin. That Beethoven at least worked on it seems quite well established.

Regards
                  Well if you're good I may put together a copy for you if and when we next meet up.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Luis Mariano:
                    ¿David Montgomery thinks that is not good enough? Well, it is a matter of taste. I find this concerto more enjoyable than the Concerto in B flat Op. 19. If we take into account that the young Beethoven was almost fourteen when he wrote it, and that it is very likely that this was his first orchestal effort, I think that the result is remarkable.

I find a lot of similarities between the third movement of this "juvenilia" concerto and the third one of the Concerto in C. Mainly the "hungarian" character of the melodies.

I would like to see the manuscript to develop my own theories, but all I know is that the 32 surviving pages written by a copyist includes orchestal cues for 2 flutes (i would expect 2 oboes, which was the most common practice), 2 horns and strings. Some scholars think that the corrections in the manuscript were made by the young Beethoven.

Well Op19 is usually performed in such a lack-lustre manner your position is understandable, but the later concerto is light years better than WoO4. More positively about WoO4 I note in the article above praise in particular for the slow movement, which is in some respects more adventurous than his more mature efforts. I make much the same point in the piece's entry in the 'concertos' page of the main site here. I would like to read a definitive assessment of the score myself.

None other than Barry Cooper describes this work as written with great care to details, amazingly virtuosic and with bravura-figurations that already exceeded Mozart's standard and reiterates that this work is a "far from unsuccessful attempt at coming to grips with one of the most important musical genres"

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-02-2006).]

Comment

Dear Luis;

You obviously have not heard the opus 19 piano concerto with Beethoven's very corrections that were never sent to the publisher! I have a wonderful recording of Mikhail Kazakevich performing it with the corrections. It is a far better work with these corrections.

Hofrat
                      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
                        Dear Luis;

You obviously have not heard the opus 19 piano concerto with Beethoven's very corrections that were never sent to the publisher! I have a wonderful recording of Mikhail Kazakevich performing it with the corrections. It is a far better work with these corrections.

Hofrat

The only problem really with op19 as is stands is that the first movement, for which Beethoven asks 'con brio', is typically performed 'menuetto'. But how often do we hear this with Beethoven performances!

------------------

Comment

Dear Hofrat:

Which Beethoven’s corrections are you referring to? The Piano Concerto Op. 19 is among one of the most reworked compositions in his entire career. The most recent scrutiny of all the sources available allows us to establish four different versions over a period of more than ten years from 1790 (probably earlier) until 1801. In April 1801 Beethoven wrote down a separate piano part which served not only as a definitive autograph of the solo part but also as an engraver’s copy for the piano part included in the set of printed parts (Franz Anton Hoffmeister’s Edition, Dec. 1801).

But let’s return to the main subject of this thread, the Piano Concerto WoO4. Of course I am aware of Mr. Barry Cooper’s comments on this work. He also mentions that probably this concerto was stimulated by Neefe’s klavier concerto in G published in 1782. On the other hand, Maynard Solomon it is not very enthusiastic about this composition. I think that besides the undeniable beauty of this concerto (of course light years far from the mature works), it contains a fair reproduction of what was possible for the young composer and pianist on the instruments of his time, as well as his skill as a performer. I believe that I am not being idealistic when I consider that there is no lack of merit in this work since its performance is even challenging for actual pianists and the Larghetto is at the same time an elegant and beautiful piece.

I would like to listen to this concerto on a period instrument recording, maybe on a Stein pianoforte.

regards

[This message has been edited by Luis Mariano (edited 06-02-2006).]

Comment

Dear Hofrat:

Which Beethoven’s corrections are you referring to? The Piano Concerto Op. 19 is among one of the most reworked compositions in his entire career. The most recent scrutiny of all the sources available allows us to establish four different versions over a period of more than ten years from 1790 (probably earlier) until 1801. In April 1801 Beethoven wrote down a separate piano part which served not only as a definitive autograph of the solo part but also as an engraver’s copy for the piano part included in the set of printed parts (Franz Anton Hoffmeister’s Edition, Dec. 1801).
                            Luis;

After the 1801 publication, Beethoven once again returned to the opus 19 concerto and made some 17 alterations. These were never sent to the publisher and they exist on the manuscript score itself.

Dr. Barry Cooper integraded these corrections and the "revised opus 19" was recorded by Kazakevich and Mackerras with the English Chamber Orchestra. These changes really tighten up the work.

Hofrat
                            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Hofrat:

I must confess that I was not aware of the extra 17 corrections that you mention, so probably I will have to reconsider my appreciation of Op. 19 after listening to the recording that you recommend.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X