Ligeti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ligeti

Boy, am I out of touch with current musical events. I just read of the passing of Gyorgy Ligeti. Bu I don't suppose there are too many here that are very interested.....?

Hi, Sorrano, they had this news on KBAQ. Here's a summary of what they said:

"Gyorgy Ligeti has died. Ligeti won widespread acclaim when excerpts from his "Atmospheres" and "Lux Aeterna" were used in the film "2001—a Space odyssey", but he had been a influential and innovative composer for the last 60 years. Born in Romania, he was raised there and in Hungary and studied at Budapest's Franz Liszt Academy, where he later became an instructor. He moved to Austria in 1956 and became an Austrian citizen in 1967. some of Ligeti's music was also used in the films "The Shining" and "Eyes Wide Shut". Ligeti Died in Vienna on Monday. He was 83. He is survived by His wife Vera and his son Lucas, a percussionist who lives in New York."

Also in the news:

"Conductor Hiroyuki Iwaki has died. The Japanese conductor who led the Melbourne Symphony for over 30 years and even led the orchestra from a wheelchair as his health declined. Iwaki had fought a long battle with Lung and Pharynx cancer; he died Tuesday of heart Failure. He was 73."

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Hi, Sorrano, they had this news on KBAQ. Here's a summary of what they said:

"Gyorgy Ligeti has died. Ligeti won widespread acclaim when excerpts from his "Atmospheres" and "Lux Aeterna" were used in the film "2001—a Space odyssey", but he had been a influential and innovative composer for the last 60 years. Born in Romania, he was raised there and in Hungary and studied at Budapest's Franz Liszt Academy, where he later became an instructor. He moved to Austria in 1956 and became an Austrian citizen in 1967. some of Ligeti's music was also used in the films "The Shining" and "Eyes Wide Shut". Ligeti Died in Vienna on Monday. He was 83. He is survived by His wife Vera and his son Lucas, a percussionist who lives in New York."

Also in the news:

"Conductor Hiroyuki Iwaki has died. The Japanese conductor who led the Melbourne Symphony for over 30 years and even led the orchestra from a wheelchair as his health declined. Iwaki had fought a long battle with Lung and Pharynx cancer; he died Tuesday of heart Failure. He was 73."

Thanks, I appreciate that! Ligeti was among my favorite contemporary composers, more for his orchestral piece, Lontano and his Requiem.

Comment

I like Ligeti's music, but don't listen to it. It is the same with me for a number of modern composers. I've gotten to the point where I understand and enjoy their music, but find I am not compelled to put it on the way I am with the 18th and 19th C. composers...
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
          I like Ligeti's music, but don't listen to it. It is the same with me for a number of modern composers. I've gotten to the point where I understand and enjoy their music, but find I am not compelled to put it on the way I am with the 18th and 19th C. composers...
          I don't suppose you've listened to his Aventours [Adventures] (sorry for the spelling)?

Comment

Working...
          X