Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vienna trip

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me with some things to do and see when I finely get to visit Vienna this summer. It will be a short visit, 3 days. My 12 year old daughter sings in a choir and they will be traveling to Austria this June to be part of the ongonig Mozart 250th birthday festival. She will sing in Salzburg and Vienna. I am going too and while in Vienna, I want to see as much as can of Beethoven. The choir will be off visiting all the Mozart sites. I will probalbly be on my own and just would like any advice or ideas on what to see. I'm thinking about hiring a priviate guide although they look to be very pricey. There use to be a women named Andrea that wrote into this forum quite a bit a few years back and I know she said she would love to show us around if we ever came to Vienna. Does anyone know what happened to her. I would love to get in contact with her. Any suggetions will be helpful. Thanks.

Heidi

Yes Andrea was very kind (and invaluable!)in showing Bernard and myself round Vienna -you can get a list of Beethoven's many Vienna addresses on this site (most unfortuantely are not the original building) www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/addresses.html

You might also get some ideas from my visit which you can read about here:
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/viennatrip.html
    ------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 03-01-2006).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
      Hello everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me with some things to do and see when I finely get to visit Vienna this summer. It will be a short visit, 3 days. My 12 year old daughter sings in a choir and they will be traveling to Austria this June to be part of the ongonig Mozart 250th birthday festival. She will sing in Salzburg and Vienna. I am going too and while in Vienna, I want to see as much as can of Beethoven. The choir will be off visiting all the Mozart sites. I will probalbly be on my own and just would like any advice or ideas on what to see. I'm thinking about hiring a priviate guide although they look to be very pricey. There use to be a women named Andrea that wrote into this forum quite a bit a few years back and I know she said she would love to show us around if we ever came to Vienna. Does anyone know what happened to her. I would love to get in contact with her. Any suggetions will be helpful. Thanks.

Heidi
      Dear Heidi;

If you use the Yahoo search engine and search for +beethoven +vienna, you will find three sites:

1. The Beethoven grave (Central Cemetary).
      2. The Eroica House.
      3. The Pasqualati House.

The listings included opening times, locations, and directions by public transportation.

Hofrat
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Hello everyone,

Heidi
        Heidi, I sent you an e-mail to the address in your profile about meeting up here in Vienna. I would be happy to do so and I mentioned more about this in the e-mail. Hope to talk to you more about this in an e-mail.
        - Andrea (Hollywood)

------------------
        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly."
        - Beethoven 1804.
        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Wow that sounds wonderful. I am thinking about going to Vienna for a couple of days aswell. But I don't know when yet. It would be so nice if some members would meet up in Vienna and do their own Beethoven/music/composer tour.
          I am definitely going this year, preferably before september. I am quite flexible because I can take both car and train to Vienna (both around 6 hours).
          Oh and I speak german, english and french if that matters.
          anthina

------------------
          *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*

Comment

Originally posted by Anthina:
            Wow that sounds wonderful. I am thinking about going to Vienna for a couple of days aswell. But I don't know when yet. It would be so nice if some members would meet up in Vienna and do their own Beethoven/music/composer tour.
            I am definitely going this year, preferably before september. I am quite flexible because I can take both car and train to Vienna (both around 6 hours).
            Oh and I speak german, english and french if that matters.
            anthina

Anthina, feel free to contact me when you know for sure when you'll be here in Vienna. It'll be nice to meet some more forum members. Have you ever been here before? If not I would be more than happy to show you around my and Beethoven's Vienna if you'd like.
            - Andrea

------------------
            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly."
            - Beethoven 1804.
            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood:
              Anthina, feel free to contact me when you know for sure when you'll be here in Vienna. It'll be nice to meet some more forum members. Have you ever been here before? If not I would be more than happy to show you around my and Beethoven's Vienna if you'd like.
              - Andrea

Thanks very much Andrea, I'll come back to your offer! It would be fantastic to have someone who knows a bit more than the tourist guides.
              Yes I've been to vienna for 12 days back in 2001 but it was our graduation year at school and somehow I've missed out on all the important beethoven sites (although we did a beethoven tour but we had 5 tours a day so I can't remember a thing). But funny enough we stayed at Gumpendorferstraße where Beethoven lived for 2 years aswell. A bit a dodgy area though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Anthina (edited 03-03-2006).]

Comment

Hi Heidi,

Vienna is indeed one of the greatest cities in the world, especially for those who love Beethoven, Mozart and Schubert. But I must say that I personally was most moved by the most beautiful village Baden (about 30 km south of Vienna). Here Mozart composed his Ave Verum and Beethoven his Ninth. This Beethoven house the best I have seen. At http://www.gerdprengel.de/vienna.html
                you can see the pictures which I took there last year.

Regards
                Gerd

Comment

Gerd, how did you get to Baden? via bus or train?

------------------

Comment

by train, the go about every 30 minutes...

Comment

Hello again,

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the ideas and suggestions. I think I am set. Thanks to Andrea ( she has kindly offered to take me around) I am looking forward to this more than ever now. I will write back after my trip and let you know how it went. Thanks again.

Heidi

Hello everyone,

Heidi

Comment

Hello again,

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the ideas and suggestions. I think I am set. Thanks to Andrea ( she has kindly offered to take me around) I am looking forward to this more than ever now. I will write back after my trip and let you know how it went. Thanks again.

Heidi

You are in excellent hands with Andrea - you'll have a fabulous time!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

have fun heidi!!!

------------------

Comment

Heidi, say "hello" to Andrea for me. She took me and Peter around Vienna back in 2003 and what an expert guide she proved to be.

And if you're fortunate enough to visit her flat the collection of Beethoven memorabilia is second to none too!

Yes, try and visit Baden and Modling (Missa Solemnis composed there) and if you're adventurous take the fast train across Austria to the quaint little village of Gneixendorf. The house where Beethoven and Karl stayed just months before his death (belonged to his brother) still stands and the lady owner is the most charming hostess you can imagine. She'll show you the rooms where they stayed and the Rhine mural is still there. For me, gazing upon this artwork proved the most intimate moment of my week of following in the footsteps of the composer. Don't forget to purchase a bottle of the local wine as a gesture of gratitude!

Regards,

Bernard

PS: sorry, just realised you only have 3 days...ah well, postpone some pleasures for later!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                              You are in excellent hands with Andrea - you'll have a fabulous time!
                              Danke Peter for that glowing praise! I only hope we have beautiful weather the few days that Heidi will be here especially if we go to visit Beethoven's grave. Our Central Cemetery is quite lovely in spring and summer when the weather is perfect.

------------------
                              - Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Working...
                              X