-=MP3s INSIDE=- Bruggen and Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    Well Beethoven wasn't exactly a boy when he published his first symphonic effort. Were you expecting a more dainty rendition of this piece?

Maybe ... if by dainty you mean a lighter touch... What I felt in hearing this rendition was an interpetration which appeared to my way of hearing things as if it was attempting to be extracted from somewhere in the 9th symphony, or at the very least, the 3rd.

LVB was 30 years old at the time of this symphony's first performance. The symphony does take some rather startling steps away from the Haydn-Mozart traditions. But it is still a few steps away from the 3rd which made that very final and affirmative cut away from the musical styles of LVB's illustrious predecessors.

If in any way you have access to the Toscanini version(s) of this particular last movement, you might want to compare the subtly different approaches taken by the two conductors in their interpretations of this magnificent bit of symphonic debutantism.

------------------
    A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage
    A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic:
      Maybe ... if by dainty you mean a lighter touch... What I felt in hearing this rendition was an interpetration which appeared to my way of hearing things as if it was attempting to be extracted from somewhere in the 9th symphony, or at the very least, the 3rd.

LVB was 30 years old at the time of this symphony's first performance. The symphony does take some rather startling steps away from the Haydn-Mozart traditions. But it is still a few steps away from the 3rd which made that very final and affirmative cut away from the musical styles of LVB's illustrious predecessors.

If in any way you have access to the Toscanini version(s) of this particular last movement, you might want to compare the subtly different approaches taken by the two conductors in their interpretations of this magnificent bit of symphonic debutantism.

Well, before No.3, if you go to the 'Symphonies' page at the main site you will read of No.2 a reviewer in 1804 describing its finale as "an uncivilized monster, a wounded dragon, refusing to die while bleeding to death, raging, striking in vain around itself with its agitated tail."

But I'm all for a lighter touch where its needed, but also bolts of lightening too. Usually you get something inbetween. More stylish and sophisticated performances that combine all the emotional and dynamic elements are rare.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-19-2006).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
      X