Authentic Instrument mp3s - String Quartet Op.135

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    I was hoping that at least this site would be a haven from football, alas!

Opps, you must not be a fan of the World Cup! I'll restrain myself then!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Not that you'd approve of Rod, but I think the Quartetto Italiano do a fantastic job with these late quartets.

I am pragmatic when it comes to the late quartets when I have so little to offer you as an alternative. Remember I mention the Lindsays above.

As to an original 3 movement conception, I've not come across this idea before. After all, most of the work on Op.135 was done a few months prior to Beethoven's final confinement and just before the new finale for op.130, so one wonders when there was time for such a rethink?
      I agree absolutely, which is why I asked here about the evidence for the notion. But I have read about this idea a few times over the years, and it was always written as though it were fact rather than hypothesis.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

As this is the last of the recordings that Rod has so generously offered over the past few years I express my thanks. Although I have not had many opportunities to listen to these and comment I will eventually get these to a machine where I will be able to listen to them and enjoy them. While I think that period instruments are preferable I am quite willing to sacrifice that for otherwise good performances and I feel that there are numerous out there where period instruments are not involved. But thanks again, Rod, for all the fine music that you have shared with us!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
          As this is the last of the recordings that Rod has so generously offered over the past few years I express my thanks. Although I have not had many opportunities to listen to these and comment I will eventually get these to a machine where I will be able to listen to them and enjoy them. While I think that period instruments are preferable I am quite willing to sacrifice that for otherwise good performances and I feel that there are numerous out there where period instruments are not involved. But thanks again, Rod, for all the fine music that you have shared with us!

Thanks Sorrano. Now and again I may yet give you a 'Brucie Bonus', but I was primarily interested in offering something new to most people because we all know the usual stuff, ie in the first instance rare Beethoven pieces we seldom hear, followed by the better known music but performed on period instruments.

I agree you can on occasion have a better performance on a modern piano for example, even the best Graf will not hide a miserable performance, which is why on my mp3 player I have Bernard Robert's pf version of the Diabelli Variations and not my CD of the same by Paul Komen using an original Graf, which is a second rate interpretation.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
          X