Most creative manipulations of an instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    Schindler said it made the direction of Fidelio look easy by comparison.

And when was he ever wrong!

Michael

Comment

> If you'd heard the orchestrated version on period instruments you'd change your mind too. And not only hear but see, because this is not just music but a staged performance piece, the complexities of which were considerable. Schindler said it made the direction of Fidelio look easy by comparison.

Can you recommend a particular recording on period instruments?

------------------
      To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
      susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
      To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
      susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
        And when was he ever wrong!

Michael

I have no reason to doubt Schindler may have witnessed a performance of WV of knew of its background. Even if his comment displays some exaggeration it indicates that there was more to the original production than we appreciate today. Remember there were two armies slogging it out on stage. It's difficult enough just to reproduce a convincing operatic duel!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:

Can you recommend a particular recording on period instruments?

There aren't any!

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
          X