Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robert newman:

Dear Sorrano,

So you have some of the LSO Barbican live series on CD ? They are truly wonderful for sure. I have the 'Beatrice and Benedict' though it's out on long loan - must get it back !!
    The duet there is exquisite, yes ?

One of my friends said it best, 'The thing is - since I got back from London that 'Fidelio' has really hit me in a very special way'.

Regards

I don't think I have the "live" series, but rather parts of the Berlioz cycle that Davis did some years ago. Included are the symphonie fantastique, les troyens, overtures, and the te deum. I had the requiem, but unfortunately it was damaged. For me, the requiem is the high point of the entire cycle.

Comment

Yes, I also have the Berlioz 'Faust' and 'Beatrice and Benedict'. The Requiem is wonderful. And so too 'Romeo and Juliet'.

For quite a few years I thought that Davis's recording of 'Le Nozze di Figaro' (on Philips) was unsurpassable. (I now think it has been edged in to second place by Gardiner's, but only just).

Do you know 'Lelio' (H55)? I love that too although it's mostly earlier material.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Yes, I also have the Berlioz 'Faust' and 'Beatrice and Benedict'. The Requiem is wonderful. And so too 'Romeo and Juliet'.

For quite a few years I thought that Davis's recording of 'Le Nozze di Figaro' (on Philips) was unsurpassable. (I now think it has been edged in to second place by Gardiner's, but only just).

Do you know 'Lelio' (H55)? I love that too although it's mostly earlier material.

Robert

I had Lelio on record, but have since gotten rid of all my vinyls. I do have it (just checked) on CD coupled, of course, with the symphonie fantastique, and have another symphonie fantastique coupled with a work called Tristia. Are you familiar with this?

Sorry, Joy! I just realized we are hijacking your thread!!

[This message has been edited by Sorrano (edited 05-29-2006).]

Comment

Working...
        X