On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

May 23rd, 1814 -- After its third revision, Beethoven's opera Fidelio is staged in Vienna's Kaerntnertortheater.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Great, Joy ! You'll be really jealous to read this but I'm off to the Barbican (here in London) this Thursday evening at 7 to hear......none other than ......Herr Ludwig van Beethoven's.....'Fidelio' - my first ever chance to see a live performance of it. It's so exciting - can't wait ! A friend rang me and said, 'Guess what Robert - it's your lucky day !'. I replied. 'what's so lucky about it ?'. They said, 'think of something you really really like and would devote your whole life to doing'. And before I could say a word more was told 'It's Beethoven's Fidelio'. I thought it was a sort of cruel joke. (It's Colin Davis conducting and my friend has somehow managed to get hold of good seats for us). The only catch is that I have to buy meals before the performance but... hey...what a privilege !

Will keep you posted.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Great, Joy ! You'll be really jealous to read this but I'm off to the Barbican (here in London) this Thursday evening at 7 to hear......none other than ......Herr Ludwig van Beethoven's.....'Fidelio' - my first ever chance to see a live performance of it. It's so exciting - can't wait ! A friend rang me and said, 'Guess what Robert - it's your lucky day !'. I replied. 'what's so lucky about it ?'. They said, 'think of something you really really like and would devote your whole life to doing'. And before I could say a word more was told 'It's Beethoven's Fidelio'. I thought it was a sort of cruel joke. (It's Colin Davis conducting and my friend has somehow managed to get hold of good seats for us). The only catch is that I have to buy meals before the performance but... hey...what a privilege !

Will keep you posted.

Robert

She isn't the only one to be jealous!

Comment

Will keep you posted.

Robert
        Good for you! Let us know what you thought about the performance!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

She isn't the only one to be jealous!
          no absolutly not ;-) how was it robert?

------------------
          *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*
          *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*

Comment

Dear Anthina,

The performance is tomorrow (Thursday) evening at 7.00pm at the Barbican here in London.

I understand there are only 2 performances - one held yesterday evening (Tuesday) and the one tomorrow evening.

I can't think of any opera I've been so keen to hear live ! And suddenly it's here. (How my friend got tickets is a mystery). The great Beethoven. Florestan's aria, the prisoner's chorus, the quartet etc. etc. What dynamic and powerful music. Wow ! I'm simply so excited about it and it's still a day away. Must calm down !!

Robert

Comment

Dear Anthina,

The performance is tomorrow (Thursday) evening at 7.00pm at the Barbican here in London.

I understand there are only 2 performances - one held yesterday evening (Tuesday) and the one tomorrow evening.

I can't think of any opera I've been so keen to hear live ! And suddenly it's here. (How my friend got tickets is a mystery). The great Beethoven. Florestan's aria, the prisoner's chorus, the quartet etc. etc. What dynamic and powerful music. Wow ! I'm simply so excited about it and it's still a day away. Must calm down !!

Robert

I know the feeling, I was just as excited upon hearing Beethoven's 9th Symphony last Thursday night at the Phoenix Hall. It's a great experience when you can see and hear it live! I love it! Nothing like it! I'm still thinking about the experience this week as a matter of fact.

------------------

Comment

I returned some hours ago from a performance of 'Fidelio' at the Barbican in London - my first ever chance to hear this masterpiece performed live. It was the second of only two performances (both concert performances).

London Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
                Sir Colin Davis (Conductor)
                Daniel Borowski - Don Fernando
                Juha Uusitalo - Don Pizzaro
                John McMaster - Florestan
                Christine Brewer - Leonore/Fidelio
                Sally Matthews - Marzelline
                Andrew Kennedy - Jacquino
                Andrew Tortise - First Prisoner
                Darren Jeffrey - Second Prisoner

It was astounding. I noticed the BBC recording people were there (it seems they are about to release 'Fidelio' in their ongoing series of Barbican opera CD's - one beautiful one already on sale being Davis conducting a live performance of the Berlioz 'Beatrice and Benedict').

The place was packed. My seat was in the circle slightly to the left of Davis and some two rows back.

It's impossible to describe the sheer excellence of this performance and it would be churlish to list a few rare weaknesses (all from voices of minor parts). The principal voices were astounding. The orchestra were brilliant. The choral work was phenomenal. Davis was a revelation - his conducting so on fire and he using such tremendous energy in Beethoven's passionate music that several times he brought audible gasps from the audience. I had tears in my eyes long before the end. And I wasn't the only one !

Can't list all the credits - just too many. Of the instrumental soloists ravishing playing by the LSO's French horns and by its oboes. Strings heavenly. Timpanist genius. Everything immaculately performed. And with tremendous power and sensitivity.

Huge applause, all at the very end of the performance. Astounding ! Unforgettable ! Brilliant ! Virtually the musical equivalent of actually meeting Beethoven. Will I ever recover from this ??? (Who would want to ?).

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 05-26-2006).]

Comment

I returned some hours ago from a performance of 'Fidelio' at the Barbican in London - my first ever chance to hear this masterpiece performed live. It was the second of only two performances (both concert performances).

London Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
                  Sir Colin Davis (Conductor)
                  Daniel Borowski - Don Fernando
                  Juha Uusitalo - Don Pizzaro
                  John McMaster - Florestan
                  Christine Brewer - Leonore/Fidelio
                  Sally Matthews - Marzelline
                  Andrew Kennedy - Jacquino
                  Andrew Tortise - First Prisoner
                  Darren Jeffrey - Second Prisoner

It was astounding. I noticed the BBC recording people were there (it seems they are about to release 'Fidelio' in their ongoing series of Barbican opera CD's - one beautiful one already on sale being Davis conducting a live performance of the Berlioz 'Beatrice and Benedict').

The place was packed. My seat was in the circle slightly to the left of Davis and some two rows back.

It's impossible to describe the sheer excellence of this performance and it would be churlish to list a few rare weaknesses (all from voices of minor parts). The principal voices were astounding. The orchestra were brilliant. The choral work was phenomenal. Davis was a revelation - his conducting so on fire and he using such tremendous energy in Beethoven's passionate music that several times he brought audible gasps from the audience. I had tears in my eyes long before the end. And I wasn't the only one !

Can't list all the credits - just too many. Of the instrumental soloists ravishing playing by the LSO's French horns and by its oboes. Strings heavenly. Timpanist genius. Everything immaculately performed. And with tremendous power and sensitivity.

Huge applause, all at the very end of the performance. Astounding ! Unforgettable ! Brilliant ! Virtually the musical equivalent of actually meeting Beethoven. Will I ever recover from this ??? (Who would want to ?).

Thanks for that positive critique on Fidelio. Sounds like it was great! Last Thursday at the performance of Beethoven's 9th I sat just about where you did in the audience just to the left of the conductor and two rows back. Very close and I loved it. I think I'll sit close to all the concerts I attend from now on.

------------------

Comment

I had tears in my eyes long before the end.
                    Proof to your critics that you are a true human!

I would be grateful if you could elaborate on the staging and costumes etc, ie the production side of the performance.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Yes Joy. I don't know how many people have seen Sir Colin Davis recently but as he conducted I was riveted by the sheer ferocity of his attack in loud/passionate passages. He LOOKS like Beethoven - his hair gray and long. He was not so much conducting tempo but phrases. The very smallest nuances were flawlessly performed. That orchestra is just incredible. It was clear from the very opening bars of the overture they all loved 'Fidelio'. Even the opening bars of the overture were amazing. So lush, powerful, expectant etc. It was stunning.

Three women in front of me were ecstatic and jumped to their feet at the end - still clapping 10 minutes later with many others.
                      What a 'tour de force performance' ! I do hope they release this live CD. Am sure they shall.

Comment

Hello Rod,

Had I not been with friends I would have cried openly. The sheer artistry of this astounding music being performed as it was. It was awesome.

It was a concert performance. But a performance of the entire work. It lent itself to this very well. The chorus were arranged around the back of the stage in a horseshoe, the orchestra in the middle, and the soloists (who came and went) were seated directly to the left and to the right of the conductor. Davis was on a podium.

If I could just single out two specially miraculous things - the playing of the timpanist was one and the French horns. (Not mentioning the fabulous oboes and the beautifully deep and gorgeous cellos and basses). Well, an ordinary timpanist hardly ever lives up to expectations with Beethoven's great passages for them. But not here - he played as you might hope to hear him play. It was phenomenal. It tore you to bits ! The French horns were a solid unit. Not just great - it was like 4 Dennis Brain's all simultaneously convincing.

I have never seen or heard such conducting. Davis almost physically threw himself in to later loud, exciting passages. He was like a fencer with a rapier and he was cutting out the heart of darkness that threatened Fidelio. It was stunning. Just one of those near miracles that I happen to have been privileged to see and hear and which will always be unforgettable to me.

Rgds

Comment

Yes Joy. I don't know how many people have seen Sir Colin Davis recently but as he conducted I was riveted by the sheer ferocity of his attack in loud/passionate passages. He LOOKS like Beethoven - his hair gray and long. He was not so much conducting tempo but phrases. The very smallest nuances were flawlessly performed. That orchestra is just incredible. It was clear from the very opening bars of the overture they all loved 'Fidelio'. Even the opening bars of the overture were amazing. So lush, powerful, expectant etc. It was stunning.

Three women in front of me were ecstatic and jumped to their feet at the end - still clapping 10 minutes later with many others.
                          What a 'tour de force performance' ! I do hope they release this live CD. Am sure they shall.

I am glad to hear that Davis is still good as gold. His Berlioz cycle is among my favorite non-Beethoven works; his Messiah is my favorite (sorry, Rod!), and his recordings of Haydn and Mozart are among my favorites of those composers. Thanks for the moving review!

Comment

Dear Sorrano,

So you have some of the LSO Barbican live series on CD ? They are truly wonderful for sure. I have the 'Beatrice and Benedict' though it's out on long loan - must get it back !!
                            The duet there is exquisite, yes ?

One of my friends said it best, 'The thing is - since I got back from London that 'Fidelio' has really hit me in a very special way'.

Regards

Comment

Hello Rod,

Had I not been with friends I would have cried openly. The sheer artistry of this astounding music being performed as it was. It was awesome.

It was a concert performance. But a performance of the entire work. It lent itself to this very well. The chorus were arranged around the back of the stage in a horseshoe, the orchestra in the middle, and the soloists (who came and went) were seated directly to the left and to the right of the conductor. Davis was on a podium.

If I could just single out two specially miraculous things - the playing of the timpanist was one and the French horns. (Not mentioning the fabulous oboes and the beautifully deep and gorgeous cellos and basses). Well, an ordinary timpanist hardly ever lives up to expectations with Beethoven's great passages for them. But not here - he played as you might hope to hear him play. It was phenomenal. It tore you to bits ! The French horns were a solid unit. Not just great - it was like 4 Dennis Brain's all simultaneously convincing.

I have never seen or heard such conducting. Davis almost physically threw himself in to later loud, exciting passages. He was like a fencer with a rapier and he was cutting out the heart of darkness that threatened Fidelio. It was stunning. Just one of those near miracles that I happen to have been privileged to see and hear and which will always be unforgettable to me.

Rgds

I am not surprised it was a concert performance, the Barbican Hall does not seem ideal for a staged production, to put it mildly, which was the main reason I asked the question. So you experienced an oratorio rather than an opera, but at least is was conducted with a rapier and not a cotton bud! Glad you could hear the horns, you cannot underestimate how important they are with Beethoven's orchestral music. The LSO drummer stole the show at the 9th I heard there a few weeks ago, Haitink conducting.

------------------
                              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                              X