Authentic Instrument mp3s - Symphony no.9 Op.125

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano:
    I do have this set as well and will have to listen again to the 9th. Earlier I heard a couple of Beethoven Dances performed on period instruments and was impressed very favorably with the timbre of the brass and percussion instruments! Unfortunately I do not know which orchestra or conductor.
    Yes the advantages the more 'primitive' instruments offer are quite clear upon hearing, even if they require more work/maintenance from the performers, this is why you hardly get any Baroque recordings using modern instruments any more. You are lucky to have heard the dances, I have only a few tracks of those on period instruments.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Fair enough, however I suspect I would regard this same performance by F in a wholely different light to yourself if I'd heard it.

That goes without saying!
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

I've just listened to this track for the 3rd time, and must remark that it seems devoid of the deeper meanings which Furtwangler discovers. It seems surface-oriented and somewhat mechanical to me. When it reaches its conclusion, I feel strangely unsatisfied, as if the great ocean I am used to bathing in has shrunk to the size of a large swimming pool. I feel the younger members of this forum should not remain completely unaware of the great achievements of the conductors of the pre-original-instruments era, which are currently out of favor here and elsewhere. I think to some extent the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
          I've just listened to this track for the 3rd time, and must remark that it seems devoid of the deeper meanings which Furtwangler discovers. It seems surface-oriented and somewhat mechanical to me. When it reaches its conclusion, I feel strangely unsatisfied, as if the great ocean I am used to bathing in has shrunk to the size of a large swimming pool. I feel the younger members of this forum should not remain completely unaware of the great achievements of the conductors of the pre-original-instruments era, which are currently out of favor here and elsewhere. I think to some extent the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.
          Perhaps you would feel different if you heard the CD on your hifi and not this lo-res music file on your computer, I don't know. My first experiences of the 9th were all tired Mahleresque efforts, I've had enough of that by now. If I want Beethoven I want Beethoven, not some late-Romantic arrangement.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
          X