Clear All

Authentic Instrument mp3s - Symphony no.9 Op.125

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

I really like this track. I like in this movement how Beethoven can create moments of tense electricity using the very sparcest of textures. This is superbly economical writing to my mind, Beethoven never wrote a better sonata form piece than this.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

I really like this track. I like in this movement how Beethoven can create moments of tense electricity using the very sparcest of textures. This is superbly economical writing to my mind, Beethoven never wrote a better sonata form piece than this.

And I think it is too often neglected and passed over for what is to come. Indeed, this is very fine writing!

Comment

Very fine indeed! If there were three 'thumbs up' on this page I would have used them. Very exciting music and well done. My Professor on his lecture calls the first notes 'hollow chords' and takes the student through quite a wonderful explaination of this incredible movement. Perfect timing I might add as I will be in the Symphony Hall this Thursday night hearing this powerful (my favourite)Symphony! Thanks for getting me primed for it!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Thanks, Rod. I have heard this recording before and I remember not thinking much of it. But it is definately better than I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Very fine indeed! If there were three 'thumbs up' on this page I would have used them. Very exciting music and well done. My Professor on his lecture calls the first notes 'hollow chords' and takes the student through quite a wonderful explaination of this incredible movement. Perfect timing I might add as I will be in the Symphony Hall this Thursday night hearing this powerful (my favourite)Symphony! Thanks for getting me primed for it!

The "hollow chords" are there to obscure the major/minor tonality of the work and the tonal journey that one takes in this movement is a great one!

Comment

If you'd like to hear more from the Hanover Band, radio station WGMS at http://www.wgms.com will play their Beethoven's Seventh tonight at 8 pm Eastern Daylight Time. (I'm posting this at 3:30 pm Eastern Daylight Time, so the play will be in 4 1/2 hours from this posting). There's a "listen live" click at that website. Allow an extra few minutes to get through their boilerplating and an ad, so try to get in around 7:55 pm. ENJOY!

------------------
              To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
              susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
              To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
              susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

The "hollow chords" are there to obscure the major/minor tonality of the work and the tonal journey that one takes in this movement is a great one!
                That is correct and what an effect it creates, awesome!

------------------

Comment

I just listened to Beethoven's Seventh Symphony performed by the Hanover Band, and it was awesome. I wasn't familiar with this orchestra until Rod posted the mp3, but I hurried myself to amazon.com, where I was able to pick up the nine symphony boxed set (NEW) for under $25! (by clicking "more choices - new and used). Thanks to Rod for introducing us to the Hanover Band.

------------------
                  susanwenger@yahoo.com

susanwenger@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
                    I just listened to Beethoven's Seventh Symphony performed by the Hanover Band, and it was awesome. I wasn't familiar with this orchestra until Rod posted the mp3, but I hurried myself to amazon.com, where I was able to pick up the nine symphony boxed set (NEW) for under $25! (by clicking "more choices - new and used). Thanks to Rod for introducing us to the Hanover Band.

It's a pity you hadn't discovered the Hanover Band earlier, because there was a boxed edition of the symphonies and also two other disks with the Missa Solemnis and the overtures for the same price. I have presented quite a few pieces from this set at the mp3 page, including the 7th Symphony.

Listen to the rasping horns and rattling drums especially in the current track, you just don't get these effects in a modern orchestra. When I heard the 9th recently at the Barbican Hall with Haitink and the LSO the brass were totally swamped by the huge string section, the soloists too as they were placed behind the orchestra next to the choir.

------------------

Comment

A good reading. By coincidence I recently listened to Furtwangler's 1942 performance, which I can't help thinking is deeper and more profound, although of course less crisp sonically.
                      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                        A good reading. By coincidence I recently listened to Furtwangler's 1942 performance, which I can't help thinking is deeper and more profound, although of course less crisp sonically.
                        What do you mean by deeper and more profound in the context of this movement?

------------------

Comment

What do you mean by deeper and more profound in the context of this movement?

More moving, impassioned, tragic, monumental. This movement has always been my favorite of this symphony and Furtwangler performs it better than any other I have heard, in my opinion. The slight variations in tempo for emotion are exactly right, and the rhythmic forward impetus is always powerful in spite of these occasional retards.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 05-19-2006).]
                          See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

It's a pity you hadn't discovered the Hanover Band earlier, because there was a boxed edition of the symphonies and also two other disks with the Missa Solemnis and the overtures for the same price. I have presented quite a few pieces from this set at the mp3 page, including the 7th Symphony.

Listen to the rasping horns and rattling drums especially in the current track, you just don't get these effects in a modern orchestra. When I heard the 9th recently at the Barbican Hall with Haitink and the LSO the brass were totally swamped by the huge string section, the soloists too as they were placed behind the orchestra next to the choir.

I do have this set as well and will have to listen again to the 9th. Earlier I heard a couple of Beethoven Dances performed on period instruments and was impressed very favorably with the timbre of the brass and percussion instruments! Unfortunately I do not know which orchestra or conductor.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                              More moving, impassioned, tragic, monumental. This movement has always been my favorite of this symphony and Furtwangler performs it better than any other I have heard, in my opinion. The slight variations in tempo for emotion are exactly right, and the rhythmic forward impetus is always powerful in spite of these occasional retards.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 05-19-2006).]
                              Fair enough, however I suspect I would regard this same performance by F in a wholely different light to yourself if I'd heard it.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X