Authentic Instrument mp3s - Missa Solemnis 4th movt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano:
    Sound quality is an issue for some people, however for those who appreciate historical recordings and performances I do not think there are many matches to the Toscanini effort. But then, that is MY opinion.
    Well hopefully out there are enough recordings with a good performance and good sound quality...and period instruments, a factor in this series of Beethoven's extracts that alas Toscanini does not accommodate. Do you not like the track at the mp3 page?

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Well hopefully out there are enough recordings with a good performance and good sound quality...and period instruments, a factor in this series of Beethoven's extracts that alas Toscanini does not accommodate. Do you not like the track at the mp3 page?

Alas, but this machine does not have sound activated at this time. I am hoping in some future time to listen to ALL the tracks thatI've downloaded. The Gardiner version of the Mass I have and we have discussed it in the past. I liked the Messe in C perfomance than the Solemnis; Gardiner seems more at home with something more traditional. I am eager to hear this version that you have so kindly downloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
        Sound quality is an issue for some people, however for those who appreciate historical recordings and performances I do not think there are many matches to the Toscanini effort. But then, that is MY opinion.
        Sorrano is quite correct. What is being heard in this particular sound clip is a very exciting approach to the Gloria. It lunges at you and is held together very tightly. Nor does it come at you in the manner of *my-bus-is-leaving-and-i-must-catch-it*. The Toscanini excerpt, easily maintains the pace and does so forcefully. What is being heard through all of the scratchings is the raw genius which characterized so much of the Toscanini output. And it is that genius which continues to attract so much attention and fascination,even today, in spite of the well known poor quality of the original recordings.

There appears to be more than one re-release of the Toscanini Missa recordings. This one featured Jusse Bjoerling I think, but I've noticed that another appears a bit later and with different singers.

Rod, My opinion of the particular Hanover Band recording was formulated many years before the MP3 version you made available recently. So I'm very much embarassed that I inadvertantly angered you over this. Please accept my apologies for having so foolishly swallowed the keyboard over this.

------------------
        A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic:

Rod, My opinion of the particular Hanover Band recording was formulated many years before the MP3 version you made available recently. So I'm very much embarassed that I inadvertantly angered you over this. Please accept my apologies for having so foolishly swallowed the keyboard over this.

I'm not angered one iota, if everyone agreed with me then I'd begin to think that perhaps I'd gotten things wrong.

You are not accommodating the principle purpose of the files presented at this site, namely that, all other things being equal, I suggest Beethoven's music sounds better on period instruments. Even if you do not approve of the interpretation or the playing I do not seriously consider that Toscanini's orchestra is better suited to the task than any period instrument band.

I have no champions with regard to performers or conductors, I don't even need to know their names, they should be invisible. I now direct your attention to the 9th Symphony, though I suppose Mr.T is your champion of that piece too?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-16-2006).]

Comment

...[Edited]...

I have no champions with regard to performers or conductors, I don't even need to know their names, they should be invisible. I now direct your attention to the 9th Symphony, though I suppose Mr.T is your champion of that piece too?

And mine, too, ;-)

Comment

I now direct your attention to the 9th Symphony, though I suppose Mr.T is your champion of that piece too?

Rod... that is a very good romp thru the 1st movt. In fact, it seems to be working its way thru... omigosh!!! the Toscanini pace... so it is unfair to ask of me which I prefer... the only way that you could tell the difference between the H band and the T orch is by the massiveness of the sound. But if you compare the two versions closely you'll note a rather subtle refinement between the notes in the T version. This is hard to explain... it has to be heard.

One of the startling observations in this comparison is the music that comes thru at the very opening of the symphony. I really must weigh this in favour of the T version. My impression of the opening bars is that we are hearing a highly mystical interpretation of the opening verses of Genesis (Bereshit), and T does do a better job of capturing those very early mystical moments.

However, I very much like the fact that neither of the two versions wastes any time in moving through the notes. Having heard this symphony a gadzillion googleplex number of times in various guises I no longer have the patience to sit thru an interminable crawl of that music, even though some people love the slower paces.

Thanks for making the MP3 version available... it has a lovely sound quality.

Sorrano... it's really great to find a like minded Toscanini appreciator!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic:

However, I very much like the fact that neither of the two versions wastes any time in moving through the notes. Having heard this symphony a gadzillion googleplex number of times in various guises I no longer have the patience to sit thru an interminable crawl of that music, even though some people love the slower paces.

Thanks for making the MP3 version available... it has a lovely sound quality.

Well we have some common ground here for sure, for years I have complained about the lame tempi typically associated with performances of Beethoven. I agree the sound quality is first class in the WMA (no mp3s now!), Nimbus did a good job there.

------------------

Comment

I suppose Mr.T is your champion of that piece too?
                  Mr.T? Does he pities the fool?

I had to make a joke

------------------
                  "Wer ein holdes weib errugen..."
                  "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                    I suppose Mr.T is your champion of that piece too?
                    Mr.T? Does he pities the fool?

I had to make a joke

It took me a minute on that one!!

Comment

Working...
                    X