Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5th Symphony similar to Battle Symphony?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael:
    Beethoven's piano arrangement of the "Battle Symphony" was played last year on BBC's Beethoven Experience. I switched on in the middle of it and, for a few minutes, didn't know what the hell I was listening to. It sounded like somebody thumping the floor while a piano was playing. I'm not sure if the pianist was providing the percussion effects with his foot or some external apparatus but it was certainly the weirdest thing I have heard in a long while!
    I quite enjoy the more familiar Battle Symphony. It's great fun and some years back it was ideal for showing off stereo effects. Nowadays, I'm sure there must be a surround-sound version of it somewhere.

Michael

Well in Beethoven's time pianos were often fitted with all manner of percussion and other instruments, operated by pedals, so I presume you heard an authentic performance. If so you are lucky to have heard it, even if you don't think so. I have a most excellent fortepiano recording of one of B's marches for four hands whereby he uses these effects. I presented the track here some time ago.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Well in Beethoven's time pianos were often fitted with all manner of percussion and other instruments, operated by pedals, so I presume you heard an authentic performance. If so you are lucky to have heard it, even if you don't think so. I have a most excellent fortepiano recording of one of B's marches for four hands whereby he uses these effects. I presented the track here some time ago.

Fortunately he didn't use these effects again! There is an interesting museum of fortepianos called Finchcocks in Kent, where they allow you to play the instruments (some of them have these added features), very much a hands on experience, quite refreshing from the usual 'do not touch'!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X