On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

1800 -- First performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 1, in Vienna. Or I've read April 2nd to be this performance as well. Regardless the entire work reflects the growing independence use of the woodwind section as equal with the strings and it shows the basic woodwind family which Beethoven would retain throughout his works. The use of two horns is also standard, although he would use three in the Eroica and four in the Ninth.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    1800 -- First performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 1, in Vienna. Or I've read April 2nd to be this performance as well. Regardless the entire work reflects the growing independence use of the woodwind section as equal with the strings and it shows the basic woodwind family which Beethoven would retain throughout his works. The use of two horns is also standard, although he would use three in the Eroica and four in the Ninth.

I heard it live on Saturday, also the 9th, with the LSO, Haitink conducting. A rather lame first movement, the remainder was not bad. But my Mrs preferred Norrington's recording I gave her as pre-event education, it was like chalk and cheese really.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I heard it live on Saturday, also the 9th, with the LSO, Haitink conducting. A rather lame first movement, the remainder was not bad. But my Mrs preferred Norrington's recording I gave her as pre-event education, it was like chalk and cheese really.

That must have been a long concert, Beethoven's 1st and 9th together! It's always good to get a pre-event concert education, I like doing that myself. I am now listening to my 'Beethoven Symphonies' Teaching Videos particularly the 9th symphony as I am going to a concert in just two weeks to hear that great one performed live!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        That must have been a long concert, Beethoven's 1st and 9th together! It's always good to get a pre-event concert education, I like doing that myself. I am now listening to my 'Beethoven Symphonies' Teaching Videos particularly the 9th symphony as I am going to a concert in just two weeks to hear that great one performed live!

It was longer than you think Joy, because we heard two Beethoven piano sonatas before the symphonies. Good value for £22 for two people. Many people were standing up and applauding at the end for Haitink, but everyone around me was watching the drummer during the 9th and not the conductor, me too.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X