BEETHOVEN A HOOLIGAN ?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEETHOVEN A HOOLIGAN ?!?!

Has anyone read this choice tidbit from THE GUARDIAN?

"Beethoven was a narcissistic hooligan,"

"The composer was certainly a genius, but he diverted music from elegant universality into tortured self-obsession."

Dylan Evans
    Tuesday June 7, 2005
    The Guardian
    "It's Beethoven week on the BBC. By midnight on Friday Radio 3 will have filled six days of airtime with every single note the composer wrote - every symphony, every quartet, every sonata and lots more besides. This coincides with a series of three films on BBC2 in which the conductor Charles Hazlewood tells us about the composer's life, and three programmes of musical analysis on BBC4.
    It's good to see classical music getting some coverage on primetime TV, but the relentless focus on Beethoven is dire. Not all fans of classical music are members of the Beethoven cult. Some of us even think he did more harm than good to classical music.
    Beethoven certainly changed the way that people thought about music, but this change was a change for the worse. From the speculations of Pythagoras about the "music of the spheres" in ancient Greece onwards, most western musicians had agreed that musical beauty was based on a mysterious connection between sound and mathematics, and that this provided music with an objective goal, something that transcended the individual composer's idiosyncrasies and aspired to the universal. Beethoven managed to put an end to this noble tradition by inaugurating a barbaric U-turn away from an other-directed music to an inward-directed, narcissistic focus on the composer himself and his own tortured soul.
    This was a ghastly inversion that led slowly but inevitably to the awful atonal music of Schoenberg and Webern. In other words, almost everything that went wrong with music in the 19th and 20th centuries is ultimately Beethoven's fault. Poor old Schoenberg was simply taking Beethoven's original mistake to its ultimate, monstrous logical conclusion.
    This is not to deny Beethoven's genius, but simply to claim that he employed his genius in the service of a fundamentally flawed idea. If Beethoven had dedicated his obvious talents to serving the noble Pythagorean view of music, he might well have gone on to compose music even greater than that of Mozart. You can hear this potential in his early string quartets, where the movements often have neat conclusions and there is a playfulness reminiscent of Mozart or Haydn. If only Beethoven had nourished these tender shoots instead of the darker elements that one can also hear. For the darkness is already evident in the early quartets too, in their sombre harmonies and sudden key changes. As it was, however, his darker side won out; compare, for example, the late string quartets. Here the youthful humour has completely vanished; the occasional signs of optimism quickly die out moments after they appear and the movements sometimes end in uncomfortably inconclusive cadences.
    It's instructive to compare Beethoven's morbid self-obsession with the unselfconscious vivacity of Mozart. Like Bach's perfectly formed fugues and Vivaldi's sparkling concertos, Mozart's music epitomises the baroque and classical ideals of formal elegance and functional harmony; his compositions "unfold with every harmonic turn placed at the right moment, to leave, at the end, a sense of perfect finish and unity", as the music critic Paul Griffiths puts it. Above all, Mozart's music shares with that of Bach an exuberant commitment to the Enlightenment values of clarity, reason, optimism and wit.
    With Beethoven, however, we leave behind the lofty aspirations of the Enlightenment and begin the descent into the narcissistic inwardness of Romanticism. Mozart gives you music that asks to be appreciated for its own sake, and you don't need to know anything about the composer's life to enjoy it. Beethoven's music, on the other hand, is all about himself - it is simply a vehicle for a self-indulgent display of bizarre mood swings and personal difficulties.
    Hazlewood claims, in his BBC2 series, that music "grew up" with Beethoven; but it would be more accurate to say that it regressed back into a state of sullen adolescence. Even when he uses older forms, such as the fugue, Beethoven twists them into cruel and angry parodies. The result is often fiercely dissonant, with abrupt changes in style occurring from one movement to another, or even in the same movement. Hazlewood is right to describe Beethoven as a "hooligan", but this is hardly a virtue. In A Clockwork Orange it is the fourth movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony that echoes in the mind of Alex whenever he indulges in one of his orgies of violence. Alex's reaction may be rather extreme, but he is responding to something that is already there in this dark and frenzied setting of Schiller's Ode to Joy; the joy it invites one to feel is the joy of madness, bloodlust and megalomania. It is glorious music, and seductive, but the passions it stirs up are dark and menacing.
    I won't be able to resist tuning in to Beethoven at times this week, but I'll need to cheer myself up with something more optimistic and life-affirming afterwards."

Dylan Evans is a senior lecturer in intelligent autonomous systems at the University of the West of England www.dylan.org.uk
    Cocchini

I found out in a recent table quiz that the origin of the word "Hooligan" is Irish, so I would be very pleased to call Beethoven a fellow countryman.
    The article is a load of crap. What planet does the writer live on? I don't know of any more "optimistic and life-affirming music" than Beethoven's. I agree with the central idea that he pushed classical movement out of shape, but if he hadn't done that, I shudder to think in what direction music would have gone. (Progressively watered-down Mozart?)
    Come to think of it, I am shuddering when I listen to today's music. Maybe I'd better read the article again ...............

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 05-01-2006).]

Comment

The genius always takes us beyond the academic world. The article is really, really silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
        I found out in a recent table quiz that the origin of the word "Hooligan" is Irish, so I would be very pleased to call Beethoven a fellow countryman.
        The article is a load of crap. What planet does the writer live on? I don't know of any more "optimistic and life-affirming music" than Beethoven's. I agree with the central idea that he pushed classical movement out of shape, but if he hadn't done that, I shudder to think in what direction music would have gone. (Progressively watered-down Mozart?)
        Come to think of it, I am shuddering when I listen to today's music. Maybe I'd better read the article again ...............

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 05-01-2006).]
        I agree the article is crap, but the direction music would have took without Beethoven in it is, I suggest, just about precisely what it took with him. The early/proto-romantic movement was in existence during Beethoven's time, running in parallel to him, and the two never met.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

If this guy/gal feels depressed after listening to Beethoven, he must need therapy after listening to just about any Romantic composer. I mean, there are unique movements and works from Beethoven that ooze melancholy and grief, but that's only a few out of his oeuvre. Although there is a certain tinge of sadness or "darkness" that is noticeable from his key changes, most of his music never wallows in despair and pain. And I'm just shocked that this person who wrote the article needs something "life-affirming" after listening to Beethoven. He must want to kill himself after listening to Chopin, Liszt, Wagner, Rachmaninoff or Mahler.

Comment

I've read this article again and am even more angry with it than before. The man seems ignorant of the fact that Beethoven lived, worked and died at a time of tremendous upheavals, socially, politically, and even religiously. A time when the corporate forms of so many things were in transition and needed to be fought for - a time when men struggled (though often imperfectly) to point out that we are individual human beings, though part of society. This individuality was a new and precious truth when it was expressed by Thomas Paine, by Beethoven, by many others. It gave us freedom and also responsibility. The idea that Beethoven was full of his own vanity is absurd. Few composers were more benevolent and more positive with their talents than Beethoven. He plumbs the depths of human emotion, for sure, but has also brought us to raptures, and this in his very personal chamber music and in his great symphonies and concertos. He expressed the suffering that is, of course, part of our human state and more profoundly than virtually anyone else. He also expressed joy, love, exhilaration in ways that were and are still wonderful. Such a man, blessed with such a musical gift, and all of this expressed within the context of an infirmity by which he, as a composer, could not properly hear.

The article by the above writer, if widely believed, would remove the individual and influence of Beethoven from the state in the name of the state. Beethoven would be only one of the victims of such a regime. That writer and those who believe his nonsense would trample on the precious truths that men fought for. I am so glad the great Beethoven has himself more than answered all the points of the above writer and has blasted him and his attitudes far away from music lovers forever. The cult of the individual is a sort of illness. But so too is the cult of global corporatism. Beethoven has served society and he continues to be an inspiration to us all.

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 05-02-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              I agree the article is crap, but the direction music would have took without Beethoven in it is, I suggest, just about precisely what it took with him. The early/proto-romantic movement was in existence during Beethoven's time, running in parallel to him, and the two never met.

Good point. I once read somewhere that in studying the development of music in the early nineteenth century, it is useful to disregard Beethoven totally because he followed his own unique path.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                Good point. I once read somewhere that in studying the development of music in the early nineteenth century, it is useful to disregard Beethoven totally because he followed his own unique path.

Michael

I believe that Beethoven is a totaly apart chapter in the history of music. I think that had he not appeared the major differences would be in the direct influence of (mostly) Brahms and Wagner and the shadowing of his contemporaries. But if it were by the influence of his music on the course of music history, the 1900's could as well had witnessed the return of baroque music, or something totally new that combined baroque with modern (not atonal), and that would be the Grosse Fugue's fault.
                The writer is filled with crap and gets his wage by stirring the water. Alas he does it with idiotic ideas, as did another on Mozart not recently ago.
                The best to do is (to quote Mr.T) to pity the fool!

------------------
                "Wer ein holdes weib errugen..."
                "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                  But if it were by the influence of his music on the course of music history, the 1900's could as well had witnessed the return of baroque music, or something totally new that combined baroque with modern (not atonal), and that would be the Grosse Fugue's fault.

Well there was a sort of Neo-Baroque movement with composers such as Hindemith and Martinu, but I don't think this was as important as the Neo-Classical, the most brilliant example of which to my mind is Prokofiev's Classical symphony - surely the most perfect synthesis of styles 130 years or so apart.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                  X