Listening to Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    Nothing of course beats a live performance, no matter the recording technology something of the personal communication is always lost.

I understand what you mean absolutely, but I give a top mark to the experience of sitting at home, turn down the light, let down the blind, have a glass of port, and listen to Rachmaninoff play the WoO 80 variations (as has been my case minutes ago).
    I can't go to a concert every day, and (sadly) I can't listen that way, as I would, to my records every day, so both experiences in my case are quite comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Just a short series of questions -

1. If you hear one of your favourite musical works being played somewhere does it stop you doing what you are doing ?

2. If you are listening to a piece of music with a friend who talks during its performance do you get mad ?

3. Are there some recordings you have of works which are relatively poor in sound quality (perhaps damaged vinyl recordings) which you think can never be bettered by the latest digital releases ?

4. If you are away from music for a few weeks (say on a camping holiday, for example) and then listen to some of your favourite music, do you hear it differently ?

5. Do you think the recommendations of friends have been influential in you deciding which musical works (and which composers) you love ?

Thanks

1). It does stop me from doing what I am doing especially with Beethoven. I have to just stop and listen to him almost out of respect!

2). That's a good question. I don't like getting angry at my friends or family so, no, I try not too and I act like it doesn't matter but deep inside of course it does and I'm shouting "be quiet already!"

3). I have some vinyl recordings which I still do listen to and love and also CD's which are great too. Maybe it's what you get used too.

4). I'm really never away from music much. When I'm on vacation I always take my favourites with me or when I'm in the car or relaxing outside by the pool, whatever.

5). Surely I've gotten some pretty good advice to listening to some 'new' and different (for me) music right from this very forum. I have to say though that I'm like Michael in the way when Beethoven's music is on TV or radio or in a store I have to say 'there's Beethoven' and my friends and family say 'Beethoven follows you around!' Just like in Michael's case. I was just watching a travel show last night where they were playing Beethoven's 4th Concerto! Many times it seems that, indeed, Beethoven is 'following' me around! He does seem to pop up at the oddest places!

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy,

Thank you for this. It's so interesting to have these answers from different lovers of great music. Here are my own answers to these questions (though I reserve the right to learn better, of course).

Q1. If you hear one of your favourite musical works being played somewhere does it stop you doing what you are doing ?

A. Yes, it certainly does. I'm hopeless. If I was carrying a suitcase in a departure lounge certain bits of music would make me delay the entire flight on some pretext ! I'm hopeless, for sure. Fortunately, it's improving. The other day I actually managed (under extreme time pressure) to switch off a Bach concerto - something highly unusual for me. I had no real choice - it was that or else the person on the other end of a phone line would have rung off.

2. If you are listening to a piece of music with a friend who talks during its performance do you get mad ?

A. If the music means so much to me they know sooner or later I will be asking them to listen to it with me. But if they are listening already with me and start talking about something completely different I confess I bite my lip, discuss whatever it is, and then start the entire movement again as soon as possible - or else I will sulk.

3. Are there some recordings you have of works which are relatively poor in sound quality (perhaps damaged vinyl recordings) which you think can never be bettered by the latest digital releases ?

Yes, since I think the great vinyl recordings are not only the product of great musicians but sometimes also of great sound engineers. It isn't so much a 'vinyl fetish' - more the knowledge that amongst the mass of records I have are some real treasures - though I admit others see it quite differently. I'm often asked if I would care to donate several tons of shellac and vinyl to some charity. (My reply is to ask whether they want them by the kilo or by the imperial pound weight - seeing that masterpieces are often treated very poorly these days).

4. If you are away from music for a few weeks (say on a camping holiday, for example) and then listen to some of your favourite music, do you hear it differently ?

A. Yes, certainly. I remember a few years ago spending some weeks away from all music (in Devon). On hearing some music (it was a Mozart symphony) I thought it was so immature, so giggly, that it took a while for me to realise this music speaks to me on its own terms - that it's really a very sophisticated form of entertainment but not, I think, a constant musical companion. This was a profound realisation for me, who, till then positively idolised Mozart and the very mention of his name. I still love the body of music attributed to him. But not in the way that I love Bach or even that of much of Beethoven. The period when I did not hear music was itself very helpful to me, musically.

5. Do you think the recommendations of friends have been influential in you deciding which musical works (and which composers) you love ?

A. Yes, most definitely. I know (or I think I know) certain things about music in my soul. If someone is really keen that I should hear something different I make a point of listening to it, often more than once. And as soon as possible. Many times it ends up being loved by me. I then try to assimilate it in to what I know - to find its place within what I know. I figure that one must always and forever be open to the musical advice and opinions of friends. If that advice runs against my personal self I reject it outright. But inside myself (and in ways that really no-one can discuss) music must move me greatly, or else I will listen to it only to please my friends.

Music must meet certain criteria and if it doesn't I don't ask more about it, no matter how keen my friends are to advise me about it or how highly it may be rated by others.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 05-01-2006).]

Comment

Working...
        X