The Piano Quartets WoO36 Nos.1-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Piano Quartets WoO36 Nos.1-3

Further to recent exchanges on the above works, I've tried to find out the first publication date of the 'Mozart' violin sonatas alluded to in the piano quartets WoO36.

1. It seems the newly established Vienna publisher Artaria published a series of 6 'Mozart' violin sonatas in November 1781 - i.e. some 8 months after Mozart's own arrival in Vienna including the very works which are quoted from/alluded to in WoO36 quartets. Assuming the Artaria publication date of November 1781 is right these violin sonatas with keyboard are the first musical works published by Mozart in Vienna. (To me this makes them specially significant and I want to see if this question of WoO36 can be solved one way or the other).

Again, if correct, Beethoven (the alleged composer of the WoO36 quartets) would have been about 11 years old when these 'Mozart' violin sonatas were first published. A copy of this Artaria first edition has survived and it certainly includes the ones alluded to in WoO36 - I've prefixed these with a star as follows -

K376 (374d), *K296, K377, (374e), K378 (317d), *K379 (373a), *K380 (374f) in that order. (The piano parts of this Artaria first edition consists of 85 pages and the violin part is 28 pages. Artaria made very fine engraved title frames for this edition).

So far, so good. Nothing here that might seem to solve any problem. This is therefore a group of 6 violin sonatas with keyboard by Mozart being published in Vienna during a time when Beethoven was still 11 years old and which he, Beethoven, alludes to in WoO36 at some later date when he was a student at Bonn.

But there are two other bits of information that may be relevant here. Firstly, the WoO36 set is of course a set of 3 piano quartets. Not violin sonatas. Furthermore, Mozart himself is credited with writing the first of his two piano quartets in the very year when he and Beethoven first supposedly met - i.e. in 1787. (By that date, of course, Beethoven is 17). And therefore, shortly after Beethoven's arrival in Vienna there are these 6 sonatas by 'Mozart' but also 6 piano quartets - 3 of them being WoO36 and the other 3 being the two always attributed to Mozart plus one other, that until 1910 was also always attributed to Mozart, but now said to be by Beethoven himself. Mozart supposedly starts writing piano quartets at the very time that Beethoven supposedly meets him - at which time, supposedly, there are already in Bonn 3 piano quartets, these very quartets that are WoO36.

If a third party had written these piano quartets for Mozart in a series of 6 (3 of them being WoO36) it may be asked why Mozart would not have received all 6 of them. I don't know the answer to this. But it seems to me quite logical to suggest the person who wrote these piano quartets is the same person who wrote the 6 'Mozart' violin sonatas that Artaria published in 1781.

All of this seems to me consistent with the view that a third person composed these piano quartets of WoO36, but composed them first as a group of 6 - three of these retained at Bonn and the others becoming works attributed to Mozart during his lifetime up until 1910, at which time one of these three was then attributed to Beethoven. Attributed to Beethoven because, by that date, he had been assumed to be the composer of the three that are WoO36.

What's new about all this (?) you might ask. Well, there's another interesting fact. In 1801 (so I learned today) the Bonn publisher and member of the Bonn chapel Niklaus Simrock (the same Simrock who in later years tells us the original score of the 'Magic Flute' came to Bonn even before it was first performed in Vienna) published some works of Mozart. What works are these ? They are 3 duos for violin and piano. Here, once again, is a Bonn connection with 'Mozart' violin sonatas.

(I don't know the actual 'Mozart' violin sonatas that Simrock published that year. But 1801 happens to be a special year in the history of Bonn chapel. It's the year of Andrea Luchesi's death).

Progress on this issue is slow but I think it's wise not to automatically attribute the piano quartets of WoO36 to Beethoven. Just as the true composer of Mozart's chamber works in Vienna must also be given serious criticism.

Robert

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 04-30-2006).]

Your chronology is a little suspect -Myslivecek died in 1781, Mozart's piano quartets date from 1785 and 1786, NOT 1787.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 05-01-2006).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Progress on this issue is slow but I think it's wise not to automatically attribute the piano quartets of WoO36 to Beethoven. Just as the true composer of Mozart's chamber works in Vienna must also be given serious criticism.

Robert
      Please give up on this Robert, you're wasting good research time!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-01-2006).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Rod is correct Robert - I keep asking you to wait until you publish your findings, please let's leave these issues for now as I am sure the whole forum is weary of this debate.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes Peter, Myvslevicek died in 1781. I'm aware of this. And Mozart claims to have written symphonies 39,40, and 41 in 1788 - 4 years after they were in the archives in Bonn. In fact those 3 symphonies were written around 1783, some 5 years before they were claimed by Mozart in his works catalogue. (We see this over and over).

I appreciate you may be weary of this issue and will not post of this more. But for me this issue is of real importance and I'll continue to look at this myself.

Regards

Comment

Thanks Rod,

Every person must make such decisions for themselves, of course.

One last remark, if Beethoven is the true composer of these piano quartets (WoO36) he not only writes like Mozart, talks like Mozart and sounds like Mozart, but he does so at around the age of 17 - an achievement so astonishing (and never once claimed by him despite actually meeting Mozart) that we must classify this as being the 'edge of realistic possibility'.

The evidence suggests that Bonn was involved in the supply to Mozart of works that he, Mozart, used, though the question of who wrote these 3 works (whether one composer or several) remains to be settled. The 17 year old Beethoven knew these works. But he does not claim them and nor are they atrributed to him during his entire lifetime.

Regards

Robert

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 05-01-2006).]

Comment

Thanks Rod,

One last remark, if Beethoven is the true composer of these piano quartets (WoO36) he not only writes like Mozart, talks like Mozart and sounds like Mozart, but he does so at around the age of 17 - an achievement so astonishing (and never once claimed by him despite actually meeting Mozart) that we must classify this as being the 'edge of realistic possibility'.

The evidence suggests that Bonn was involved in the supply to Mozart of works that he, Mozart, used, though the question of who wrote these 3 works (whether one composer or several) remains to be settled. The 17 year old Beethoven knew these works. But he does not claim them and nor are they atrributed to him during his entire lifetime.

Regards

Robert

And my last remark, this music is far too robust for Mozart or Luchesi, and this robustness is one of Beethoven's most defining characteristics. I have been listening to Beethoven almost every day for twenty years and to my batered ears WoO36, all three of them, sound as Beethovenian as you can get. I appreciate the honourable gentleman giving me the last word.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thanks Rod,

Regards

Robert

Dear Robert;

Just because Beethoven's piano quartets sound Mozartian does not mean Beethoven did not write them. I have a wonderful CD of unknown compositions of youg Beethoven and his teacher Neefe. So alike are the two stylistically that when listening to it, I must keep the CD liner notes in front of me
                so that I not confuse who wrote what.

So, Robert, is Beethoven suspected of supplying Neefe, or is Neefe suspected of supplying Beethoven??

Hofrat
                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Dear Hofrat,

I agree with Rod that we could talk of this issue for a long time without really resolving its problems. They really exist.

If Beethoven or any other composer could have written no less than 3 piano quartets in a Mozartean style (4, according to Mozart scholars, since one more has been credited to Beethoven since 1910) then it's a phenomenal achievement in itself. Stylistically, I agree that we hear Beethoven in at least one of these works (you may think all of them). But this does not alter and cannot alter the fact that Beethoven is not ever recorded as claiming these same works as his own. Nor is there any record of this act of homage to Mozart ever resulting in Mozart receiving these works from Beethoven.

So, in fairness, these works are (to me at least) ones that Beethoven was aware of, even familiar with, at Bonn, though they bear all the hallmarks of being works that came to Bonn as part of a larger set (perhaps of 6) that were written by a third composer - this as part of a much larger picture - the supply to Mozart, not only of these works (or some of them) but of the supply of the very 'Mozart' works which they allude to in the 3 quartets of WoO36.

I entirely respect the views of Beethoven lovers who insist that these are works by him. The fact that Simrock in Bonn is known to have published duos by 'Mozart' in 1801 (the year of Luchesi's death in Bonn) adds further to my own conviction that things are not quite as they seem.

To my knowledge, these quartets have not been discussed in detail on any Mozart website despite their real and obvious significance. I think they are fascinating and somewhat mysterious works whose full story has never really been told. Again, that's simply my own view based on studies of a whole series of other works attributed to or in other ways related to Mozart. And again I entirely respect and honour the views of those who may disagree. They have their good reasons and perhaps others have reasons equally as good. At least we've discussed this in as much detail as the known facts allow - and that's really good.

Best wishes

Comment

Working...
                  X