No announcement yet.

Authentic Instrument mp3s - Diabelli Variations Op.120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been listening to the variations I downloaded from the web, relistened to a Barenboim recording of his youth... and I must say that I prefer largely the fragments posted on the web than the same variations on the record (Thanks!). I have very few records by Barenmboim as pianist and I consider him overestimated.

Comment

... now available ... should unfortunately
      read ... NOT available ...
      I get a very strange page that files are
      lost and some servers are down. Too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by jhaubrich:

My server is having 'temporary issues' but should be ok soon, keep trying. I if things don't get back to normal I'll post some new links here in this chain.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-28-2006).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
          I've been listening to the variations I downloaded from the web, relistened to a Barenboim recording of his youth... and I must say that I prefer largely the fragments posted on the web than the same variations on the record (Thanks!). I have very few records by Barenmboim as pianist and I consider him overestimated.

The fortepiano is much better for the job, that's why it sounds better. I agree Barenboim is overrated as a pianist.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
            That makes me feel much better in respect to some Chopin Nocturnes that he had recorded. I could not listen to the last few on the album since I did not feel that he was playing dynamically according to the music.

Comment

Originally posted by jhaubrich:
              try again at the page and let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                try again at the page and let me know.

Still getting trouble with two of the tracks, but If you right click on the image and 'save as' they should download correctly.

------------------

Comment

Rod, I agree with you that part of the preference is caused by the instrument.
                  Sorrano, I agree with you too, I listened to some Chopin pieces played by Barenboim (some nocturnes and valses) some time ago and I just remember that I disliked them, as simple as that. My brother bought me his recent recording of the 1st book of the well-tempered clavier and I'm still wondering what he's trying to transmit, or where is he going.

Comment

I am celebrating my grandson's first birthday, so bear with me - I have had too much wine!
                    I love Beethoven in variation mode! I have every variation he wrote on CD - whether they are stand-alone variations or incorporated into sonatas, quartets, whatever! But the one single work I have trouble with is the Diabelli! I must have heard them a hundred times but I cannot get a handle on them! ( No pun intended regarding Rod's second-favourite composer!)
                    I adore the C minor variations (can't remember the opus number as I am sloshed)
                    The best advice I can recall on listening to the Diablellis is by Alfred Brendel. He said to forget that they were a set of variations and listen to them as if they were a series of bagatelles!
                    I am not completely deaf to this work - the last third of the set must be the most sublime piano music ever written - but the work as a whole must be my most problematical Beethoven composition! (Thank God for spell check!)
                    As I am in a mood of cofession, I must admit that the only other work I have trouble with is the Archduke Trio! This also contains a great variation movement but I have trouble with the whole work! I admit this but that's another story! I worship all the other piano trios! Two out of six hundred isn't bad but if Peter and Chris feel I should resign from the forum, I will accept their judgement!
                    However, as I regard Rod and Peter as the foremost experts on Beethoven's piano music, I ask them what should I do about the Diabelli's?
                    Michael
                    P.s. I have tried grand piano and pianoforte versions! I don't dislike the Diabellis - I just can't get behind them, man !
                    It is my grandson's birthday, so please excuse my ramblings ........

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                      I am celebrating my grandson's first birthday, so bear with me - I have had too much wine!
                      I love Beethoven in variation mode! I have every variation he wrote on CD - whether they are stand-alone variations or incorporated into sonatas, quartets, whatever! But the one single work I have trouble with is the Diabelli! I must have heard them a hundred times but I cannot get a handle on them! ( No pun intended regarding Rod's second-favourite composer!)
                      I adore the C minor variations (can't remember the opus number as I am sloshed)
                      The best advice I can recall on listening to the Diablellis is by Alfred Brendel. He said to forget that they were a set of variations and listen to them as if they were a series of bagatelles!
                      I am not completely deaf to this work - the last third of the set must be the most sublime piano music ever written - but the work as a whole must be my most problematical Beethoven composition! (Thank God for spell check!)
                      As I am in a mood of cofession, I must admit that the only other work I have trouble with is the Archduke Trio! This also contains a great variation movement but I have trouble with the whole work! I admit this but that's another story! I worship all the other piano trios! Two out of six hundred isn't bad but if Peter and Chris feel I should resign from the forum, I will accept their judgement!
                      However, as I regard Rod and Peter as the foremost experts on Beethoven's piano music, I ask them what should I do about the Diabelli's?
                      Michael
                      P.s. I have tried grand piano and pianoforte versions! I don't dislike the Diabellis - I just can't get behind them, man !
                      It is my grandson's birthday, so please excuse my ramblings ........
                      Happy Birthday Michael's grandson! I'm surpised at your difficulty with the Archduke trio which is such a lyrical work, my favourite amongst Beethoven piano trios. The Diabelli is more understandable as they are very demanding on player and listener and I'll admit that I prefer the late sonatas even though I recognise the supreme achievement of these variations. This could be because I don't consider myself capable of playing them and that annoys me intensely!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                        This could be because I don't consider myself capable of playing them and that annoys me intensely!

Imagine how I must feel then when I can't even read the notation! I agree with you that there are some grounds for having problems with the Diabellis - but the "Archduke", for God's sake! I don't dislike the work but it has never moved me to the same extent as B's other big works.I recorded a brilliant lecture on this piece from the BBC last year and it did open up my ears a bit more.
                        Anyway, I am going to listen to it again today (for the ninety-somethingth time) and maybe this could be the big breakthrough.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                        X