Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weekend in Vienna

Hi,
    My wife and i are going to visit Vienna next month (weekend of 5-7/May). I am a Beethoven fan, my wife is a general classical music fan. Can anyone recommend the top Beethoven site in Vienna we should visit? (I can not drag her to more than 1 or 2 sites...). BTW - I myself visited the Beethoven house in Bonn 3 times by now...
    thanks
    Shamai

I have not been to Vienna but if I did, I would obviously go to the Vienna Central Cemetery to visit Beethoven's grave...you can also visit Herr. Schubert while you are there (and a number of other composers)

Comment

Hi Shamai. Have you ever been to Vienna before? If not, if you would like, I could meet up with you and your wife and show you some of the must-see Beethoven sights. As HaydenFan has mentioned our Central Cemetery is a must as well as the Beethoven museum at the Pasqualati Haus where he composed his symphonies #4, 5, 7 and 8, "Fidelio", and his piano concerto #4. I myself live in Heiligenstadt not far from 3 Beethoven addresses.

If you are interested in meeting up let me know. I have shown other Beethoven Forum members around Beethoven's Vienna and I enjoyed doing it. I love showing visitors to my lovely city around to some of the Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, etc. must-see sights.

------------------
      "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly."
      - Beethoven 1804.
      "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood:
        as well as the Beethoven museum at the Pasqualati Haus where he composed his symphonies #4, 5, 7 and 8, "Fidelio", and his piano concerto #4.
        But be aware that the apartment they show there is not really Beethoven's. It's the adjacent one. They couldn't get rid of the tenants of the original apartment.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff:
          But be aware that the apartment they show there is not really Beethoven's. It's the adjacent one. They couldn't get rid of the tenants of the original apartment.

This is quite correct and they are keen to mislead you! Still it is nice to be so close and there are plenty of interesting things to see.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            This is quite correct and they are keen to mislead you! Still it is nice to be so close and there are plenty of interesting things to see.

Either way, there is a very nice fortepiano by Streicher to be found there. I couldn't pull myself away when I visited.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood:
              Hi Shamai. Have you ever been to Vienna before? If not, if you would like, I could meet up with you and your wife and show you some of the must-see Beethoven sights. As HaydenFan has mentioned our Central Cemetery is a must as well as the Beethoven museum at the Pasqualati Haus where he composed his symphonies #4, 5, 7 and 8, "Fidelio", and his piano concerto #4. I myself live in Heiligenstadt not far from 3 Beethoven addresses.

If you are interested in meeting up let me know. I have shown other Beethoven Forum members around Beethoven's Vienna and I enjoyed doing it. I love showing visitors to my lovely city around to some of the Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, etc. must-see sights.

Hi Hollywood,

Thanks for your kind invitation. I don't yet know our plans in Vienna, but could you please email me your email address or other contact info, so we can talk/chat later on about it before our trip?
              By the way, I am watching now a new DVD I got of Leonard Bernstein in Vienna at Beethoven 200th anniversary, and saw some Vienna places, like the Theater An Der Wien etc...
              warm regards,
              Shamai

Comment

Originally posted by Shamai:
                Hi Hollywood,

Thanks for your kind invitation. I don't yet know our plans in Vienna, but could you please email me your email address or other contact info, so we can talk/chat later on about it before our trip?
                By the way, I am watching now a new DVD I got of Leonard Bernstein in Vienna at Beethoven 200th anniversary, and saw some Vienna places, like the Theater An Der Wien etc...
                warm regards,
                Shamai

Hi Shamai. I just sent you an e-mail and then got your notice that you'll be back on Sun. 23 April. Looking forward to hearing from you and also hopefully to showing you around Vienna when you come here. Take care.

------------------
                "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly."
                - Beethoven 1804.
                "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Hey, I'm going to be visiting Europe, and quite possibly Vienna in May too... though a little later. I was planning on checking out the stuff on this site as my tour guide. So is it true that you can actually go visit an actual piano that Beethoven owned/played? I don't know if that's just a rumour or not. And... would it be better to visit Bonn?

Comment

Originally posted by cosplusisin:
                    Hey, I'm going to be visiting Europe, and quite possibly Vienna in May too... though a little later. I was planning on checking out the stuff on this site as my tour guide. So is it true that you can actually go visit an actual piano that Beethoven owned/played? I don't know if that's just a rumour or not. And... would it be better to visit Bonn?
                    Hi,
                    I think that Beethoven house in Bonn and near by library are must to see. THe library require pre-registering (go to their internet site first). I have not been to Vienna yet, so i don't know which is better... There are genuine Beethoven's pianos in Bonn, but they won't let you touch them... There also many other historical exhibits - music instruments, paintings, notes, notebooks, etc etc. I have no idea yet what i will find in Vienna... :-)
                    Shamai

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply. I looked at the Beethoven-Haus website, and I really want to go there! But I'm staying in Belgrade, so it'll be harder (about twice as hard if you go by distance) to get to Bonn, so I don't know if I can go. I'm going to investigate, though, and see what kind of cool stuff there is in Vienna.

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply. I looked at the Beethoven-Haus website, and I really want to go there! But I'm staying in Belgrade, so it'll be harder (about twice as hard if you go by distance) to get to Bonn, so I don't know if I can go. I'm going to investigate, though, and see what kind of cool stuff there is in Vienna.
                        Hey cosplusisin, have you tried any of the cheap airlines like easyjet? There's a route to Cologne-Bonn airport and it's really cheap.

------------------
                        *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*
                        *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*

Comment

hey thanks for the suggestion about cheap flights, but i've decided to settle for vienna... poor me, right? i hear it's pretty easy to see the sights in vienna. is that true? just find some brochures and buses? should i do some preparing before i go? the plan for now is only to go up from belgrade by train to vienna, spend a day there, and then go back to belgrade. i have not really looked into what happens when we (my sister and i) get to vienna. wow it's very soon. just over a week before i fly out to copenhagen (staying there for about 4 days to go to a concert on may 7 before i go down to belgrade)!!

Comment

hey thanks for the suggestion about cheap flights, but i've decided to settle for vienna... poor me, right? i hear it's pretty easy to see the sights in vienna. is that true? just find some brochures and buses? should i do some preparing before i go? the plan for now is only to go up from belgrade by train to vienna, spend a day there, and then go back to belgrade. i have not really looked into what happens when we (my sister and i) get to vienna. wow it's very soon. just over a week before i fly out to copenhagen (staying there for about 4 days to go to a concert on may 7 before i go down to belgrade)!!
                            Yes it is true it is easy to get around Vienna from my experience, the city is not that big, certainly compared to London, and the underground and trams will take you wherever quite quicky. I recomend, if you have time, take a train from Vienna to Budapest too, for there are a few places there of Beethovenian interest and its a nice city to visit in general.

------------------
                            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Well, Rod, I will be coming from Belgrade. I don't know how the trains go, but judging from the map, Budapest could be right on the way to Vienna!

Comment

Working...
                              X