No announcement yet.

Berlioz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Rod. I've often wondered why these things are said. The Mozart concerto for Flute and Harp has much greater problems.

Yes, I'll watch for the posts.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Frank H:
      On my question in another post as to whether Berlioz was influenced by any of the Romantic poets, I should of course have already realised about his great love of, among others, Byron.
      Frank, have you read Jacques Barzun's "Berlioz & the Romantic Century"? Barzun himself abridged the two-volume tome & it was republished in 1982 as "Berlioz & His Century."

Here's a little writeup on the Berlioz Web Site comparing Barzun's & Cairn's books:
      www.hberlioz.com/others/cairns_and_barzun.htm

If you aren't in the mood for reading another entire biography, I recommend Barzun's essay "Music for Europe: A Travers Chants" reprinted in "A Jacques Barzun Reader" (Harper Collins, 2002).

Oops, forgot: Barzun also translated & published Berlioz's "Evenings With the Orchestra."

[This message has been edited by DavidO (edited 04-21-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by DavidO:
        Frank, have you read Jacques Barzun's "Berlioz & the Romantic Century"? Barzun himself abridged the two-volume tome & it was republished in 1982 as "Berlioz & His Century."

Here's a little writeup on the Berlioz Web Site comparing Barzun's & Cairn's books:
        www.hberlioz.com/others/cairns_and_barzun.htm

If you aren't in the mood for reading another entire biography, I recommend Barzun's essay "Music for Europe: A Travers Chants" reprinted in "A Jacques Barzun Reader" (Harper Collins, 2002).

Oops, forgot: Barzun also translated & published Berlioz's "Evenings With the Orchestra."

[This message has been edited by DavidO (edited 04-21-2006).]
        Hi David,

Many thanks for your recommendations.

I'm afraid that I have so many different interests on the go at once, that I haven't yet managed to get deep into Cairns' biography, although I'm going to try that as soon as I can. I did finish Berlioz' own "autobiography" - a fascinating book.

I then got sidetracked on to Alma Mahler's diaries - very interesting. Extraordinarily, it is clear that she had anti-Semitic views, and yet two of her three husbands, and at least one of her lovers, were Jews!

Regards to all,

Frank

Comment

Working...
        X