Berlioz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berlioz

[I joined this forum to learn more about the mighty Ludwig van Beethoven – man and music. I joined the Mozartforum with a similar desire about the great Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Both forums (or should that be fora) rightly do not restrict discussion to just their eponymous composers since neither WAM nor LvB lived and worked in a vacuum. However, a high proportion of the bandwidth on this forum seems to have been taken up by an issue which is not only not about Beethoven, but is only, if you think about it, secondarily about music.
    I therefore introduce my post in a new thread with an apology that this might seem to be in a similar category.]

It is always pleasant to find oneself changing one's opinion in a positive way about anyone, whether living or dead. I had such an experience over this past weekend.

As those who have bothered to read my posts on the non-Beethoven threads in this forum will realise, I have not exactly been enthusiastic about Hector Berlioz, man or music. The music bit is of course personal taste. The man bit is because I had read extracts of his writings which made him seem to me to be a rather silly person, and, much worse, a xenophobe, and indeed a bit of a racist (as far as non-Europeans were concerned). The excessive adulation which he seemed to evoke in some people did not help his image in my eyes. As far as I could see, he certainly could not be described as a “great man”, whatever his merits as a composer.

Last Saturday, I visited a local second-hand bookshop which has a music section where in the past I have managed to find some interesting books. This last week there was a copy of “A Life of Love and Music”, the memoirs, indeed autobiography, of none other than Berlioz. This was a 1987 reprint (with corrections) of the translation by David Cairns. I hope atheists will understand when I say that I almost felt a sense of divine guidance that I should look again at this rather strange man, who, whatever my personal reaction to him and his music might be, was clearly an “interesting historical figure” in the history of music.

I haven’t had much time yet to properly read more than the first few chapters. However, I find that I am already feeling much warmer about Monsieur Berlioz (as a man) than I did before. I realise that the extracts of his writings which I had read before were unrepresentative of the man as a whole. They tended very much to represent only a few facets of his complex personality, and facets which I found rather unattractive.

I haven’t, as yet, been anywhere near converted to the “Berlioz was a great man” idea. But I do believe that he was an altogether “weightier” personality than I had thought. He still strikes me as being sometimes (quite often) rather silly. But instead of finding that irritating, I now find it rather touching – even endearing. And I am beginning to be moved by many of the circumstances of his life, and his struggle for recognition (I haven’t yet got very far in his book, but I have read about him in other books, such as “The Lives of the Great Composers” by Harold Schonberg). In particular the sadness of his lonely and isolated final years strikes me as a tragedy in the full, deep, and original Greek, meaning of this term – in that was an almost predictable outcome of his character, both in its strengths and its weaknesses.

As for his xenophobia, in this he was sadly probably expressing no more than the general views of Europeans, including the French, of his time. In this particular respect he was totally conventional, not a “revolutionary” at all. It would be good had he been more enlightened in this, but at least he wasn’t a really evil and dangerous racist of the type of Wagner.

Having rather changed my mind on Berlioz as a man, this has prompted me to see if I can change my mind on him as a composer as well. When I was younger, I didn’t like Bruckner as a composer, but changed my mind after hearing a marvellous performance of his 9th symphony a few years ago.

Just today, looking through the CDs at a local shop, I found a CD of the “Symphonie Fantastique”, together with the overtures “Le Corsaire” and “Le Carnaval Romain”. I bought it, and have just listened to it. While I wasn’t blown over by it, there were some passages which I found very enjoyable. I must persevere. I understand from Schonberg’s book that his finest music is in “Les Troyens”, some of the best passages which are, according to him, up to the standards of Wagner.

Meanwhile, to anyone who has not read it, I recommend “A Life of Love and Music” as a very good read. As has sometimes been pointed out, it “reads like a novel”. Of course, we should remember that this is Berlioz’s own account of himself and his dealings with others. In most cases we don’t have the other side of the story – this is the story as Berlioz wants us to see it. And, as the translator David Cairns points out “Like most autobiographies, Berlioz’s contains errors of fact and emphasis”.

Meanwhile I reflect that, perhaps more than other great composers, Berlioz has not been well served by his “fans”. As I’ve said, the extracts of his writings which tend to be quoted are those which stress only particular aspects of his character, usually the overblown, hyper-Romantic parts. [And I wish that that xenophobic, racist, newspaper music reviewer hadn’t chosen to concentrate with special glee on the few indications of Berlioz’s own, probably much milder, xenophobia]. Berlioz enthusiasts seem to have a tendency to be so “over the top” in their expressions of their love, that it will put off many not already converted to his cause.

It may be that Berlioz, by his very character, both real and as self-portrayed, tends to attract people of a particular emotional type – obsessive, enthusiastic, fanatical. People of this type have many strong positive features – indeed I am sure that they figure prominently among the “movers and shakers of the world”*. “Movers and shakers” both of good – and evil. Without people of this type, we might still be in the Dark Ages. But without other people of this type, we might never have had Auschwitz or the Gulags.

The end of Schonberg’s chapter on Berlioz reads: “Perhaps Berlioz will always remain the object of veneration by a strong and articulate minority. He could not speak to Everyman. But there is not one piece of his that lacks its incandescent moments. And then Berlioz is seen plain, his eagle beak defiantly thrust at the heavens, glorifying in a kind of tonal magnificence and an ideal of self-expression that make the concept of Romanticism very clear”.

Regards to all,

Frank

[* This oft-quoted phrase comes from a poem “The Music Makers” by the British poet Arthur O’Shaughnessy. The poem strikes me as almost an anthem of High Romanticism. As such, and as I have been asked to define what I mean by “Romanticism”, I will quote it in full:

We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World-losers and world-forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams:
    Yet we are the movers and shakers
    Of the world for ever, it seems.

With wonderful deathless ditties,
    We build up the world's great cities,
    And out of a fabulous story
    We fashion an empire's glory:
    One man with a dream, at pleasure,
    Shall go forth and conquer a crown;
    And three with a new song's measure
    Can trample a kingdom down.

We, in the ages lying
    In the buried past of earth,
    Built Nineveh with our sighing,
    And Babel itself with our mirth;
    And o'erthrew them with prophesying
    To the old of the new world's worth;
    For each age is a dream that is dying,
    Or one that is coming to birth.

A breath of our inspiration,
    Is the life of each generation.
    A wondrous thing of our dreaming,
    Unearthly, impossible seeming-
    The soldier, the king, and the peasant
    Are working together in one,
    Till our dream shall become their present,
    And their work in the world be done.

They had no vision amazing
    Of the goodly house they are raising.
    They had no divine foreshowing
    Of the land to which they are going:
    But on one man's soul it hath broken,
    A light that doth not depart
    And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
    Wrought flame in another man's heart.

And therefore today is thrilling,
    With a past day's late fulfilling.
    And the multitudes are enlisted
    In the faith that their fathers resisted,
    And, scorning the dream of tomorrow,
    Are bringing to pass, as they may,
    In the world, for its joy or its sorrow,
    The dream that was scorned yesterday.

But we, with our dreaming and singing,
    Ceaseless and sorrowless we!
    The glory about us clinging
    Of the glorious futures we see,
    Our souls with high music ringing;
    O men! It must ever be
    That we dwell, in our dreaming and singing,
    A little apart from ye.

For we are afar with the dawning
    And the suns that are not yet high,
    And out of the infinite morning
    Intrepid you hear us cry-
    How, spite of your human scorning,
    Once more God's future draws nigh,
    And already goes forth the warning
    That ye of the past must die.

Great hail! we cry to the comers
    From the dazzling unknown shore;
    Bring us hither your sun and your summers,
    And renew our world as of yore;
    You shall teach us your song's new numbers,
    And things that we dreamed not before;
    Yea, in spite of a dreamer who slumbers,
    And a singer who sings no more.

If you like the poem, you are far from alone. It was admired by W.B.Yeats, and set to music at least twice, by Edward Elgar and Zoltan Kodaly. I personally find it both aspirational and arrogant, both inspirational and pompous. Usually only the first three stanzas are quoted, which rather improves it, in that this section includes the finest imagery, and excludes the most obvious “better than the common herd” arrogance (of, especially, the seventh stanza). The whole encapsulates for me both the strengths and the weaknesses of the Romantic movement, in which the mighty Ludwig van Beethoven played no small part.]

[This message has been edited by Frank H (edited 02-20-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Frank H (edited 02-20-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Frank H (edited 02-21-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Frank H (edited 02-21-2006).]

Here are some quotations attributed to Berlioz. Interesting!

At least I have the modesty to admit that lack of modesty is one of my failings.

Every composer knows the anguish and despair occasioned by forgetting ideas which one had no time to write down.

Love cannot express the idea of music, while music may give an idea of love.

The luck of having talent is not enough; one must also have a talent for luck.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

------------------
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

1. Berlioz on Beethoven's Fidelio -

" Ah ... 'Fidelio' - who knows that light may not dawn sooner than one thinks, even for those whose spirits are closed at the moment to this most beautiful work of Beethoven's, as they are to his marvels of the Ninth Symphony and his last quartets and the great piano sonatas of that same inspired, incomparable being? Sometimes, when one looks at a particular part of the heaven of art, a veil seems to cover "the mind's eye" and prevent it from seeing the stars that shine there. Then, all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, the veil is rent, and one sees, and blushes to have been blind for so long."

2."If men of genius only knew what love their works inspire"

3. "Every composer knows the anguish and despair occasioned by forgetting ideas which one has not time to write down"

4. 'My father would not let me take up the piano; otherwise I should no doubt have turned into a formidable pianist in company with 40,000 others - but thus I was saved from the tyranny of keyboard habits, so dangerous to thought, and from the lure of conventional sonorities, to which all composers are prone.'

Comment

As I don't usually have that much time to post, whenever I read my posts again, I often come across inaccuracies. So I've gone back to my post and tidied it up (e.g. my long unused Latin reminded me that the plural of "forum" in Latin is actually "fora").

Especially the quoted poem needed editing. I had copied it direct from a website, but reading it through again, there were many mistakes, including one in the second line of the poem. I have corrected the mistakes I know about, but it is not always exactly clear what the right version should be.

Although I termed the poem "The Music Makers", that doesn't seem to be the title O'Shaughnessy himself called it - he may have called it simply "Ode". But Elgar and Kodaly called their musical settings "The Music Makers", and it certainly is an apt title.

In describing the poem as "almost an anthem of High Romanticism", I am certainly not suggesting that it in any way was an influence on Berlioz, Schumann, Chopin etc. It's far too late in date (1874) for that! In fact the influence must be the other way around. But O'Shaughnessy's poem seems to me to express the essence of what Romanticism is about. It is thus noteworthy that he should specifically use the term "music makers" for his Romantic heroes.

Of course, while Romanticism in the arts is especially associated with a particular movement which got going in the time of Mozart and Beethoven, its seeds had been around for a lot longer. Indeed I am sure that there have been Romantic tendencies ever since Homo sapiens first appeared on earth, and possibly before (studies of our primate relatives may reveal this).

Arthur O'Shaughnessy himself was an interesting figure. He was strongly associated with the pre-Raphaelites. He was not by profession an artist but a zoologist, as this fragment I found on a website makes clear:
        Born on March 14, 1844, in London, Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy earned his living in the Natural History Department of the British Museum, which he joined as a junior assistant in the Department of Printed Books in June 1861. He eventually became a valued expert on reptiles. O'Shaughnessy published four volumes of poetry, in 1870, 1872, 1874, and posthumously in 1881. His most enduring poem, known from its first line, "We are the music makers," was later set to music by Edward Elgar and Zoltán Kodály. O'Shaughnessy married Eleanor Marston in 1873, with whom he wrote Toy-land, a book of children's stories. Their two children died shortly after birth. She died in 1879, just two years before he did.

Another site comments: Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy (March 14, 1844–January 30, 1881) was a British poet and singer. Though relatively unknown during his own lifetime, his works gained posthumous fame in the 20th century.

There are some similarities to Berlioz here. O'Shaughnessy's life too seems to have been marked by misfortune and sadness.

I haven't got far enough in the Berlioz memoirs to see if he was much influenced by Romantic poets in the way Beethoven was by Goethe and, of course, Schiller.

Regards to all,

Frank

Comment

It helps to remember that it was Berlioz who invented the modern conducting technique, without which the music of Beethoven would be very difficult to play, and that of Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler, Verdi, Puccini, Bernstein & many others would be completely impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:
            It helps to remember that it was Berlioz who invented the modern conducting technique, without which the music of Beethoven would be very difficult to play, and that of Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler, Verdi, Puccini, Bernstein & many others would be completely impossible.
            Hi Droell

With my new found sympathy for Berlioz, I certainly wouldn’t want to dismiss off-hand your statement about Berlioz’s place in the history of conducting. He certainly played an important part in this. However the idea that he single-handed invented the modern conducting technique seems a bit of an exaggeration, from what I have read.

Harold C. Schonberg in “The Lives of the Great Composers” places the genesis of modern conducting further back. He writes: “As the orchestra grew and as music became more complicated, there evolved the necessity for a controlling force – a man who would undertake all the responsibilities of interpreting a Beethoven symphony……Around 1820 the virtuoso conductor arrived – the man who could stare down the individual egos of the orchestral players and weld them into a single unit. Ludwig (Louis) Spohr (1784-1859), Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826), and Gaspare Spontini (1774-1851) were among the pioneers of the baton, along with Francois-Antoine Habeneck (1781-1849), who founded the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra in 1828 and led it with a violin bow in lieu of a baton.”

The “Oxford Dictionary of Music” does say that Berlioz was probably among the first to conduct from full scores – perhaps that’s where his major contribution lay. The entry, on “conducting”, however goes on immediately to praise Spohr as perhaps the best of these early true conductors.

Among Berlioz’s contemporaries, Mendelssohn also gets considerable mention and praise for his contributions to the development of conducting.

It seems then that there were a group of men in the years from 1820 onwards who together developed modern conducting technique, of whom Spohr, Weber, Spontini, Habeneck, Berlioz, and Mendelssohn were among the most important.

[Unless of course there is new evidence which would support your statement].

I must confess that I hadn’t realised before reading Schonberg that Spontini was a composer of any stature. He was, like Berlioz, much influenced by Gluck, and apparently “Berlioz always thought La Vestale (by Spontini) to be the greatest opera since Gluck”.

Regards,

Frank

[On my question in another post as to whether Berlioz was influenced by any of the Romantic poets, I should of course have already realised about his great love of, among others, Byron].

Comment

How wonderful to read of your approaching Berlioz! His music is just marvellous, in particular Les Troyens!

Comment

Dear Johan,

Yes, yes ! His marvellous music is inspiring isn't it ? - anticipating four or even five great composers decades in advance and at its greatest some of the most beautiful I've heard. Not one of his works has disappointed me. The 'Trojans' is phenomenal. I love too his 'Beatrice and Benedict' his 'Faust', 'L'Enfance du Christe' and just so much else.

As if that was not enough, he hugely credited the great Beethoven, often against grossly ignorant criticism. What a tremendous composer !

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

As if that was not enough, he hugely credited the great Beethoven, often against grossly ignorant criticism. What a tremendous composer !

Robert

I have done the same for twenty years yet I can't compose or read music properly. I still read grossly ignorant material on Beethoven in the music publications, even this week.

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

From what I have read of Wagner, I don't think I would describe him as an "evil" or "dangerous" racist. I think it is important to set Wagner apart from the Nazis who so idolized him (but not for his racist views, strangely enough)

There were many during Wagner's time who were far more anti-semetic than himself and probably would have written about it if they were as talented as Wagner in the written word.

I think Wagner was more frustrated at the seemingly more successful Jewish composers like Meyerbeer and Mendelssohn. I can't say for sure because I have not done in depth analysis on the anti-semetic writings of Wagner, but I don't think we would have advocated the genocide of the Nazi era and I don't think he was particularly dangerous in this way. Especially considering that Wagner's "attack" was not to take up arms but to take up pen and paper...how is this evil and dangerous?

This is not at all to condone his opinions but I don't thnik his thoughts were far removed from others in that time.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Comment

Hello Rod,

I'd be really interested to know of the Beethoven criticisms you've recently found to be so bad. Can you share some here ?

P.S. Not reading or writing music is often a really big advantage, since you can't ever slip in to a 'letter of the law' approach to music. (Besides, you love Handel, and that in itself proves so much. I've so much to hear still. My most recent Handel was his 'Samson', which I really love).

Comment

Hello HaydnFan,

The subject of Wagner and anti-semitism crops up quite a bit and I must admit that my views on the subject have slightly changed in more recent years. To me, anti-semitism is simply stupid. A certain minority of people identified that a certain semitic minority had hugely more power and influence (to say nothing of talent) in German society than they liked. In time, this led to another minority taking control of Germany who were no more representative of Germans than those whom they first criticised.

Of course it's true that certain Jewish people (in finance, arts etc.) had massive impact. But, again, such people were in the minority even within the Jewish population.

To brand Jews as being this or that is in my view as absurd as to suggest that all Germans eventually became members of the SS. That's the danger of elitism anywhere.

As far as Wagner is concerned, I've never really been drawn to his operas as such but really love his orchestral works. He seems to have been an opportunist to have sided so strongly with the extremist anti-semitism of his time. To me, the Jewish people (and I'm not Jewish myself) have made huge contributions to music (as of course in virtually all other fields of human achievement) and I hold them in high regard as a nation (if not the sharks of Wall Street etc).

Regards

Comment

Very interesting Robert.

I was asking more about opinions on the comment that Wagner's anti-semitism was "evil" and "dangerous" to society.

I don't disagree with your comments for the most part, but I would add that I think people tend to be hateful of what they do not know. In the case of anti-semitism in Wagner's time (and even earlier), the Jewish populations of Europe tended to keep to themselves and to a certain extent, kept their business interests within their own circles. Of course there are certainly exceptions. However, to a large extent, the Christian majority population of Europe saw this as a control of a large degree of wealth by a very small population. Notice this is even common today that a small percentage of people control a large percentage of wealth (Pareto's theory). However, the fact that this small population was different from the poor majority was what caused the hatred. I think people hated (and continue to hate) because they do not know or take the time to know. However, I think the Jewish population in that time, to some extent, kept to themselves, making themselves difficult to get to know. I don't really know what my point is so I'll just stop here.

Comment

Dear HaydnFan,

Yes, all you say is true. But I think there are other things that have a bearing on this. For centuries the Jews of Europe were actually banned from many sorts of business. In areas such as money lending, for example, this was one area where they were permitted to operate.
                            The construction of ghettos is another example of how these people were further isolated.

But I also think it true that the Jews are very careful to keep their culture/tradition/religion.

The extent to which populations other than those who are natives should integrate in to society is of course a delicate question and I have no easy answers. It seems societies need scapegoats as much as they also need heroes.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Hello Rod,

I'd be really interested to know of the Beethoven criticisms you've recently found to be so bad. Can you share some here ?

P.S. Not reading or writing music is often a really big advantage, since you can't ever slip in to a 'letter of the law' approach to music. (Besides, you love Handel, and that in itself proves so much. I've so much to hear still. My most recent Handel was his 'Samson', which I really love).

Just a couple of days ago I was reading that the Trio Concerto was not worthy of being considered in the same light as the other Beethoven concertos, also saying it was untuneful, which I find bizarre. If you'd heard this piece live you could easily have the Trio Concerto as the grand finale to any musical programme!

PS I'd be putting new music at my Handel site soon so watch your email box for the notice.

------------------
                              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                              X