Forgotten masters, Alkan and Thalberg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgotten masters, Alkan and Thalberg?

After reading some Liszt biographies, I saw these two names mentioned often and didn't really think much of them: Charles-Valentin Alkan and Sigismond Thalberg. Recently, though, I've given Beethoven, Mozart, Handel and Schubert a break to explore and taste the romantic virtuoso piano music of the 19th century. I pretty much got my fill of Liszt (having bought all of the Hyperion Liszt at the Opera series and familiarized myself with each piece). I took a gamble, and a very rewarding one when I bought three CD's from amazon.

The first CD was a Naxos label disc with Alkan's Op. 35 etudes and two Op. 39 etudes (Le festin d'Esope and Scherzo diabolico). And boy was I stunned... When I heard the 25 variations of Le festin d'Esope, and especially the third Etude in G, fifth Etude in F, and the seventh Etude in E flat, titled "L'incendie au village voisin" I felt like I had found works from some kind of great Liszt-Chopin hybrid. It's wonderful virtuoso music. I mean, this stuff sounds harder to play than anything Liszt wrote, and what's more is the musicality. The seventh Etude rivals Chopin's Revolutionary etude, in my opinion.

Then my next CD was of the Hyperion label with Marc-Andre Hamelin playing the Symphony for Solo Piano Op. 39 and other works. Again, I was astounded to find such quality music that has only whetted my appetite for more of this kind of stuff. Why has Alkan's music been so unavailable and unpopular? For those who have a taste for the violent and romantic piano music, Alkan is a thirst quencher.

My last CD was from Thalberg, who seems a little more restrained. I bought a Naxos CD of his Fantasies on Bellini operas and was pleasantly surprised. Although I think Liszt surpasses him in detailing melodies and weaving themes together, Thalberg still composed some great variations and reminiscences, particularly, the Norma, Beatrice di Tenda, and La Sonnambula fantasies. I can understand now, after hearing these how he could rival Liszt. But there is something so unlike Liszt in his music and it's like a cross between Hummel and Chopin.

Maybe I've just been reincarnated from the Romantic period and love this kind of music of virtuoso and bombastic piano. But I'm just curious if anyone else here is familiar with these guys, or even likes them? And if so, are there any other works you could recommend? At this point, I'll even take recommendations of other composers worth checking out if I like this kind of music, because right now I feel like I still haven't heard everything after discovering these obscure composers.

Very interesting ! Have you heard any keyboard works of Nikolai Medtner (1880-1951) ?
    http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

Alkan was extraordinary in many ways but he (perhaps like Scriabin) seem to have believed simplicity and originality came only through first mastering complexity. That was to turn things on their head (as I see it) and it reflects the limitations of musical virtuosity for its own sake as a way of approaching composition. To me, Alkan and Scriabin were fraustatedly looking for a new music - a North West Passage that, frankly, does not exist and cannot exist because of their approach, no matter how introvert or intellectually justifiable their ideas were.

On the other hand Medtner seems to have been far more relaxed about his art. He knew the limitations of the piano and was still highly original. I really recommend his piano music.

Rgds

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:

The first CD was a Naxos label disc with Alkan's Op. 35 etudes and two Op. 39 etudes (Le festin d'Esope and Scherzo diabolico). And boy was I stunned... When I heard the 25 variations of Le festin d'Esope, and especially the third Etude in G, fifth Etude in F, and the seventh Etude in E flat, titled "L'incendie au village voisin" I felt like I had found works from some kind of great Liszt-Chopin hybrid. It's wonderful virtuoso music. I mean, this stuff sounds harder to play than anything Liszt wrote, and what's more is the musicality. The seventh Etude rivals Chopin's Revolutionary etude, in my opinion.

Then my next CD was of the Hyperion label with Marc-Andre Hamelin playing the Symphony for Solo Piano Op. 39 and other works. Again, I was astounded to find such quality music that has only whetted my appetite for more of this kind of stuff. Why has Alkan's music been so unavailable and unpopular? For those who have a taste for the violent and romantic piano music, Alkan is a thirst quencher.

Yes Alkan was quite remarkable - for those interested in finding out more http://www.alkansociety.org/

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sergei Rachmaninov to Nikolai Medtner in 1921-

'I repeat what I said to you back in Russia: you are, in my opinion, the greatest composer of our time'

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Robert. I've never heard of Medtner but I'm intrigued. Such praise from the Rach is reminiscent of Haydn's famous quote about Mozart being the greatest composer known to him.

Who would you say has a playing style that closely or semi resembles Medtner's? Is it like Prokofiev or Shostakovich, or is it Romantic-sounding like the Rach? Well, regardless, I'll certainly check him out, but what about Marc-Andre Hamelin playing the complete Medtner piano sonatas in this link? http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/67221.asp

Do you have this CD or can you say the sonatas are a good place to start?

I think, though, I'll run my course with Alkan and Thalberg (I'm even familiarizing a lot of Hummel right now) before I give Medtner the proper attention, but I appreciate the recommendation. Classical music is an endless journey and it's good to have another place to venture.

Comment

After reading some Liszt biographies, I saw these two names mentioned often and didn't really think much of them: Charles-Valentin Alkan and Sigismond Thalberg. Recently, though, I've given Beethoven, Mozart, Handel and Schubert a break to explore and taste the romantic virtuoso piano music of the 19th century. I pretty much got my fill of Liszt (having bought all of the Hyperion Liszt at the Opera series and familiarized myself with each piece). I took a gamble, and a very rewarding one when I bought three CD's from amazon.

My last CD was from Thalberg, who seems a little more restrained. I bought a Naxos CD of his Fantasies on Bellini operas and was pleasantly surprised. Although I think Liszt surpasses him in detailing melodies and weaving themes together, Thalberg still composed some great variations and reminiscences, particularly, the Norma, Beatrice di Tenda, and La Sonnambula fantasies. I can understand now, after hearing these how he could rival Liszt. But there is something so unlike Liszt in his music and it's like a cross between Hummel and Chopin.

Maybe I've just been reincarnated from the Romantic period and love this kind of music of virtuoso and bombastic piano. But I'm just curious if anyone else here is familiar with these guys, or even likes them? And if so, are there any other works you could recommend? At this point, I'll even take recommendations of other composers worth checking out if I like this kind of music, because right now I feel like I still haven't heard everything after discovering these obscure composers.
            ------------

The English pianist, Ronald Smith who died
            in May 2004 at the age of 82 was a great champion of Alkan's music. His recordings
            of Alkan's piano works are very beautiful
            and are available on Amazon.

Agnes Selby.

---------------------

Agnes Selby

Comment

... but what about Marc-Andre Hamelin playing the complete Medtner piano sonatas in this link? http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/67221.asp

Do you have this CD or can you say the sonatas are a good place to start?
              I'm not familiar with Mendtner, but I'm far more than pleased with his recordings of Godowski and Liszt and from your post this composer may well march his sensitivity.

In case you haven't seen it, in Hamelin's page on hyperion website (http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/artist_page.asp?name=hamelin) you can find +-40 real audio & mp3 files, some of them from his alkan & mendtner recordings.

Comment

Just forgot to mention, thanks for sharing those "destinations" to travel to.

Comment

Working...
                X