Who was "Sali" the housekeeper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who was "Sali" the housekeeper?

Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster I've been doing my own independent research on trying to find information about Beethoven's housekeeper Sali. What I've found so far is this: She was there at the end of his death (maybe even deathbed, mistaken for Therese), her real name might have been Rosalie and that the von Breunings recommended her services. If anyone knows a good source for more information or has any other interesting tidbits I would be very appreciative.

Originally posted by trina:
    Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster I've been doing my own independent research on trying to find information about Beethoven's housekeeper Sali. What I've found so far is this: She was there at the end of his death (maybe even deathbed, mistaken for Therese), her real name might have been Rosalie and that the von Breunings recommended her services. If anyone knows a good source for more information or has any other interesting tidbits I would be very appreciative.
    This is easy You only have to check the census records of the Beethoven apartments in the Vienna City Archive and see if you find the right Rosaliain one of these apartments. Why nobody has ever done this? Obviously the people of the Beethovenhaus in Bonn refrained from research that involves journeys to Vienna.

Comment

Sali was Beethoven's last housekeeper and cook. In contrast to many other servants she was faithful and devoted to the Master, assisting him during the last hours of his life. Sali had come to Beethoven at the recommendation of the von Breunings. About who was with Beethoven at his time of death, I've read where the lawyer Anselm Huttenbrenner who said, "Frau van Beethoven and myself were the only ones present during the last moments of beethoven's life." and I've also read where his brother Johann and his wife Therese were in the room.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Sali was Beethoven's last housekeeper and cook. In contrast to many other servants she was faithful and devoted to the Master, assisting him during the last hours of his life. Sali had come to Beethoven at the recommendation of the von Breunings. About who was with Beethoven at his time of death, I've read where the lawyer Anselm Huttenbrenner who said, "Frau van Beethoven and myself were the only ones present during the last moments of beethoven's life." and I've also read where his brother Johann and his wife Therese were in the room.

Her portrait can be found in the following book: http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...etail.php/1764

Comment

Thanks for the information, that was all interesting.

------------------

Comment

Working...
          X