National Recording Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Recording Registry

The Librarian of Congress selects fifty musical recordings of note to add to subject registry each year. Here's an interesting article about it:
    http://www.wgms.com/index.php?sid=339718&nid=54

He is currently soliciting recommendations for the 2006 selections. I think it would be great if we could all recommend a Beethoven recording to him. Perhaps some member(s) more knowledgeable about current releases than I could suggest a recording or two. Then we could discuss it and choose one for our blockvote, and then whoever wants to do so could vote for the same piece.

Discuss?

------------------
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

I would suggest for the great Library of Congress special editions of the following Beethoven works -

1. 'Eroica Symphony' (a digital image of its title page showing how the composer righteously scratched out its original dedication in protest against tyrants)

2. 'Fidelio' - A recording of Beethoven's great freedom opera made by musicians at an empty Guantanamo Bay and dedicated to the good people of the USA and UK - celebrating the end of the bogus Patriot Act in the USA, and of invasions and threatened occupations of other lands by men falsely acting in our name.

In musical goodwill. Proceeds to the men, women and children of Fallujah in Iraq.

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 04-19-2006).]

Comment

A strong contender would have to be the the very precious live recording by Carlos Kleiber of the 7th symphony just released by Orfeo. All his far too few recordings are performances of record - but this one would make an interesting comparison with his stellar studio recording of this - now on Deutches Grammophon Originals with his unsurpassable 5th

------------------
      Beethoven the Man!
      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

There is a recommended CD page at the main site to get you started. But the problem with a project such as this is that what is gold to one person can be brass to another.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

As I understand it, they're looking for new releases of note. The Kleiber would qualify!

- Susan

------------------
          susanwenger@yahoo.com

susanwenger@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
            As I understand it, they're looking for new releases of note. The Kleiber would qualify!

- Susan

Maybe so, but I've heard it but prefer the three other recordings I have of the 5th to Kleiber's, which perhaps proves my point. I mentioned elsewhere the universally ragarded best recording of Fidelio be Klemperer on EMI is in actuallity the very worst recording.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
            X