Beethoven String Quartets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven String Quartets

The topics about Beethoven/Mozart and about the period instrument recordings of B symphonies have made me think (once again) in Beethoven string quartets.
    I've got the Quatour Talich set and I haven't listened to it for a long time, now I'll have to do a long travel and I want it to be my "companion" and test it.
    Question is that I was not really satisfied with that set. I don't know how to put it clear (even more, as I told you, it's not fresh in my memory) but I found the recording too "warm" (hope you know what I mean), without being able to criticise the interpretation of the quartet.
    Which would be your preferences? In your opinion the talich deserves the good critics he receives?
    Thanks in advance.

This is a good topic for me. I'm on the search of not a good, but of THE-BEST-OMG!! recordings of the whole quartets. After that, I'll gather money again to go for THE-BEST- recording of the whole piano sonatas.

------------------
    "Wer ein holdes weib errugen..."
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

I've always been partial to the Yale Quartet's recordings of the late quartets from the late 1960's - early 1970's. Not period at all, just very fine playing of very difficult music.

Comment

Here are some suggestions for your trip!

Complete - Hungarian Quartet EMI CZS7

Nos. 1-6 Quartetto Italiano Philips 426 046-2PM3

Nos.8 & 9 Vegh Quartet Auvidis Valois V4404

Nos.7-11 Quartetto Italiano PHILIPS 420 797-2PM3

Nos 12-16 (+Grosse Fugue) Quartetto Italiano Philips 426 050-2PM4

Op.59 1-3 /Op.74 Hungarian Quartet (EMI/HMV)

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

The Talisch Quartet does an adequate, but far less than satisfying, rendition of the Qts. The Julliard Quartet does an ok rendition but the recording of their live performance at the White is marred by the audience applause and coughings and other miscellaneous sounds. The now defunct Orford String Quartet did an excellent job on a number of the qts but because of the works' sequence, and the rather high price, of their last recording of the 16 qts, I never did buy the box, and only heard some of these over the public air waves.

------------------
          Must it be? It must be!
          Must it be? It must be!

Comment

The Takacs Quartet have just been awarded "Disc of the Year" in BBC Music Magazine's first ever awards. All the late quartets plus Opus 95 are available on two discs. Reviewer Stephen Johnson says: "It doesn't feel at all risky to say that this is probably the finest modern set of these quartets."
            I have four complete sets of all the quartets but I keep going back to the Italianos.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
              The Takacs Quartet have just been awarded "Disc of the Year" in BBC Music Magazine's first ever awards. All the late quartets plus Opus 95 are available on two discs. Reviewer Stephen Johnson says: "It doesn't feel at all risky to say that this is probably the finest modern set of these quartets."
              I have four complete sets of all the quartets but I keep going back to the Italianos.

Michael
              Yes the Quartetto Italiano seem to be the standard by which all other performances are measured in reviews etc. and they are definitely omigod quality- though at times I think they are perhaps a little over-polished. I also love the Lindsays who are a bit more edgy in their earlier recordings. The Takacs late quartets (their sets of the earlier ones are also available) seem very much in the mode of the QI and, being newer and not yet sold as a complete set are more expensive than either of the other two. The Lindsays have done a newer round of recordings also, which I've not yet heard, but their earlier set sells for around £20- 25 - an astounding bargain IMHO . I also hear good things about the Emerson's set - but again I've not heard it.

------------------
              Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 03-31-2006).]
              Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Well, as my lovely colleague and friend Judith knows, I bought the Lindsay’s recently and am far from dissatisfied, particularly with the Opus 95 (PS is this "serio" or "serioso"? I always thought the latter but my CD shows the former) which has all the attack that I would expect from this piece in particular. However I was born and raised on the Guarneri version and still think that their rendition of "Grosse Fugue" is incomparable

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

Thank you very much for your suggestions and analysis; I understand there is some consensus on the virtues of Guarneri, Lindsay & Italiano.
                  Thanks in particular Peter for your more particular reccomendations.
                  Does anyone has an opinion about the Prazak Quartet?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    Here are some suggestions for your trip!

Complete - Hungarian Quartet EMI CZS7

Nos. 1-6 Quartetto Italiano Philips 426 046-2PM3

Nos.8 & 9 Vegh Quartet Auvidis Valois V4404

Nos.7-11 Quartetto Italiano PHILIPS 420 797-2PM3

Nos 12-16 (+Grosse Fugue) Quartetto Italiano Philips 426 050-2PM4

Op.59 1-3 /Op.74 Hungarian Quartet (EMI/HMV)

My first purchase was the Quartetto Italiano bought off amazon.com Looks like I got it right the first time.

It is my most played CD set

Comment

Working...
                    X