Beethoven at your funeral!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven at your funeral!

Well, which piece of his would you choose?

I would be sorely tempted to pick the slow movt of his last string quartet Op 135 as it never ceases to warm the heart, seems to be shaped in the form of a prayer, is simplicity itself and, at the end, there is an unmistakable "drawing of the curtains"...

Hi Bernard - what a cheerful thought for the day! Treacherous as though it may sound for an administrator of a Beethoven forum, I might not plump for Beethoven at all -possibly one of the four last Richard Strauss songs. However if I were going for Beethoven, probably the slow movement of Op.127 - hard to choose out of so many sublimely moving pieces, but that is one that really 'gets' me.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by bernardc:

I would be sorely tempted to pick the slow movt of his last string quartet Op 135 as it never ceases to warm the heart, seems to be shaped in the form of a prayer, is simplicity itself and, at the end, there is an unmistakable "drawing of the curtains"...

Bernard;

My choice would be Tobias Haslinger's choice for Beethoven's own funeral. Namely, the three Equali for four trombones.

Hofrat
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

The Adagio sostenuto from the Hammerklavier. People better mourn and cry at my funeral and this will definitely set that mood. In my opinion, it's the saddest movement in Beethoven's oeuvre.

Comment

I am a happy person.
          I would choose the 9th

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig:
            I am a happy person.
            I would choose the 9th
            Long funeral!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

ehm, well I don't think I want Beethoven's music at my funeral, I wouldn't want people to associate my death with Beethoven because that's terrible (if it is a popular piece)as you'll be reminded everywhere.
              But given the saddest piece and probably the most fitting for a funeral would be Trio in Op. 70, No. 1 "Ghost", the Largo assai ed espressivo

------------------
              *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                Long funeral!

I hope you are not going to die in winter.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bernardc:
                  Opus 121b

or

Opus 109 Andante molto cantabile & following six variations

Either of those should provide sufficient time to bury me if they work quickly.

Comment

Working...
                  X