Piano concerto movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano concerto movement

The piano concerto movement in D-major from 1815 (Hess 15) that was realized by Professor Nicholas Cook is now available at the Inedita Website: www.ineditanet.it

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Originally posted by Hofrat:
    The piano concerto movement in D-major from 1815 (Hess 15) that was realized by Professor Nicholas Cook is now available at the Inedita Website: www.ineditanet.it

Hofrat

Dear Forum;

I just received the above mentioned CD. It is great to finally hear the piano concerto movement with a real orchestra and not the MIDI file on the Unheard Beethoven site. In form, it is similiar to Brahms' 2nd piano concerto with that early cadenza just after the orchestra's opening statement. Lots of great thematic ideas. I like it!

The music from Beethoven's Ritterballet is remarkable, especially the orchestral effects that Beethoven produced at the age of 20.

Hofrat

Comment

Dear Forum;

I just received the above mentioned CD. It is great to finally hear the piano concerto movement with a real orchestra and not the MIDI file on the Unheard Beethoven site. In form, it is similiar to Brahms' 2nd piano concerto with that early cadenza just after the orchestra's opening statement. Lots of great thematic ideas. I like it!

The music from Beethoven's Ritterballet is remarkable, especially the orchestral effects that Beethoven produced at the age of 20.

Hofrat
      I agree with you about his Ritterballet. It's marvelous!

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I received the Unfinished Piano Concerto in D today from Inedita, and it's wonderful! My thanks to this group for recommending it and letting us know of its availability!

------------------
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
          I received the Unfinished Piano Concerto in D today from Inedita, and it's wonderful! My thanks to this group for recommending it and letting us know of its availability!

Dear Susan;

Do try the other three Beethoven Rarities CD's by Inedita.

Hofrat

Comment

Dear Forum members;

I attach a critique on the piano concerto movement that I found on another forum that I participate on:

"After hearing it four times, it is evident for me that this music has an authentic late Beethoven flavor, a flavor that the so called "Symphony No. 10" absolutely lacked. The piano part is very convincing.

"It is a 16 minutes "First Movement" stylistically related to the "Emperor". I miss some of the counterpoint of the secondary voices, typically from Beethoven, in the orchestral tuttis. Again, the
            orchestral tuttis of the "Emperor" are a good example of what I mean.

"But curiously, I found the orchestral textures of the tuttis more complete in the second half of the movement, which are supposedly "reconstructed" than the orchestral textures of the first half, which are supposedly "authentic Beethoven". Maybe the Composer left some "fill-up" of the tuttis of the first half to be completed later.

"The recording and the performance are good but somewhat primitive. It reminds me of the very first version of Cooke's completion of Mahler's Tenth Symphony, from 30 or more years ago. Yes, that was Mahler but the orchestral textures were too thin to be a finished Mahler Symphony. Today, the latest version of Cooke's work, as co-done by Cooke and his friends (Goldschmidt, the Matthews brothers and others) has this problem corrected, and it sounds authentic Mahler, as it was recorded by Rattle and the BPO.

"The actual Performing Version of this Beethoven Concerto has all the hard work done, I mean the archeological work to get a performable and coherent work from the different manuscripts is, apparently, well
            done. Maybe a "retouching" of the orchestration, specially of the
            orchestral tuttis, with the help of an experienced Orchestral Conductor specialized in Beethoven, will be of the greatest help. They have the "practical ear" for that matters.

"Summing up: interesting, revelatory and enjoyable. I assume that repeated hearing will increase it interest."

Found and submitted by Hofrat.

Comment

Do you know some about vioin concero op. 61? About style?

Comment

Hofrat, Thanks a lot for sharing that information. I've looked at the catalogue and there are some very interesting records besides the mentioned cd containing the piano concerto movement.

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
                  Hofrat, Thanks a lot for sharing that information. I've looked at the catalogue and there are some very interesting records besides the mentioned cd containing the piano concerto movement.

By all means, take a look at their other stuff. They are doing lots of great things at Inedito.

Hofrat

Comment

Dear Hofrat,

what I would like to know: Do you know of any reactions of any Beethoven experts like R. Winter, B. Cooper or from the Beethoven Haus regarding this awesome composition/completion? Shouldn't this CD hit the musical world like a bomb?

Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel:
                      Dear Hofrat,

what I would like to know: Do you know of any reactions of any Beethoven experts like R. Winter, B. Cooper or from the Beethoven Haus regarding this awesome composition/completion? Shouldn't this CD hit the musical world like a bomb?

Gerd

Dear Gerd;

I am sorry to say that I have not heard any comment from the Beethoven experts or the Beethoven House.

Hofrat

Comment

Dear Gerd;

I am sorry to say that I have not heard any comment from the Beethoven experts or the Beethoven House.

Hofrat
                        Probably because they are not interested in yet another 'reconstruction'. If so I'd agree with them, and nobody likes Beethoven more then me.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                        X