Clockwork orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clockwork orange

Have you seen this movie?What do you think about author point of view on Beethoven music.Alex,the main figure in this film,is inspired by Beethoven music to act violently.One of the best science fiction movies ever made.

I believe the movie is more about a government/country in particular than Beethoven's music. Obviously Beethoven's music has a part in the movie, but it is not the main point at all.

Comment

I saw this movie many moons ago and found the LVB to have no particular connection to whatever what being depicted. The LVB probably was chosen because the film's poobah liked the sound of it. The music itself, to reiterate the point, made no artistic connection to the film.

------------------
      Must it be? It must be!
      Must it be? It must be!

Comment

Yes,but it is interesting that Stanley Cubrick uses Beethovens music.Why not Mozart?Personaly,I do not think it is accidentally.Beethovens music has temper,strong emotions that can lead one to extreme behaviour.

Comment

I have seen this movie, it has dated horribly but I think the piece of cinematic art is definitely designed to fit its contemporary era.

Please correct me on this, but the idea is that the protagonist associates the music of Beethoven as a metaphor for sexual violence. Yikes! I've not read the book so I can't tell you how or why Alex thinks this.

I know I will be laughed off the board here but I sometimes find some of Beethoven's music slightly erotic. Sometimes it's violent too but I do not understand Alex's connection. Maybe I should read the book!

I do agree that this movie tries to use the music to its own ends, which undermines the film I think because the music transcends what is trying to be said.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Kubrick was a master of movie music. He's the one that gave us 2001 & Richard Strauss Thus Spake the Big Guy & all that.

Clockwork Orange is also notable for its use of one of Purcell's funeral odes, which I thought more striking than the Beethoven he used. Clockwork Orange was my introduction to Purcell.

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 02-21-2006).]

Comment

The Beethoven aspect was part of the book, so it's hard to give Kubrick too much credit for that.

Comment

Originally posted by nexla:
                Beethovens music has temper,strong emotions that can lead one to extreme behaviour.
                Only if one is so inclined in the first place! Reminds me of Karajan's excuse when stopped for speeding - "You try listening to this Beethoven scherzo without going fast!"

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Alynzia,you should read the book.

Comment

Originally posted by nexla:
                    [b]Yes,but it is interesting that Stanley Cubrick uses Beethovens music.Why not Mozart? [B]
                    because that's the shallow opinion of many people when they hear beethoven. Lot of People associate b's music with violence and power.
                    so..yeah it's part of the movie and book but it's nothing else.

------------------
                    *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*

[This message has been edited by Anthina (edited 02-22-2006).]
                    *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      Only if one is so inclined in the first place! Reminds me of Karajan's excuse when stopped for speeding - "You try listening to this Beethoven scherzo without going fast!"

Thunder & Lightning Polka. I challenge anyone!

Comment

I think that Bs music has given this film extra charm.It would not have been so interesting with music of someone else.

Comment

Working...
                        X