Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recordings of two sonatas: are any available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recordings of two sonatas: are any available?

Hello everyone. This is my first thread on this site, so I hope this section is the right place to ask this question.

I'd like to know if there have been any recordings (available in the U.S.)of Beethoven's Hammerklavier and Pathetique Sonatas played on one of Beethoven's own pianos: either the Broadwood or Graf pianos(though I understand no recordings have been made of the Graf for some time).

I'd love to be able to hear these sonatas (they're a couple of my favorites) played on Beethoven's piano!

Thanks!

I would have thought someone could help you here - I've only posted to stop this slipping into cyberspace obscurity!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Casey:
      Hello everyone. This is my first thread on this site, so I hope this section is the right place to ask this question.

I'd like to know if there have been any recordings (available in the U.S.)of Beethoven's Hammerklavier and Pathetique Sonatas played on one of Beethoven's own pianos: either the Broadwood or Graf pianos(though I understand no recordings have been made of the Graf for some time).

I'd love to be able to hear these sonatas (they're a couple of my favorites) played on Beethoven's piano!

Thanks!
      I have recordings of Beethoven music played on his own Broadwood and Graf. However the music here does not include the pieces you mention. However I have them performed on a different Graf and also an earlier intrument by Walter, a brand which Beethoven would certainly have played around the time of the Pathetique's composition.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 02-17-2006).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll have to settle on some recordings of other pianos of the time. I'm surprised no one has tried to record all (or most of) the sonatas on one of the Beethoven pianos. Maybe someday in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey:
          Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll have to settle on some recordings of other pianos of the time. I'm surprised no one has tried to record all (or most of) the sonatas on one of the Beethoven pianos. Maybe someday in the future.
          Well there are lots ot fortepiano recordings on instruments very similar to Beethoven's own. I have no particular attachment to the Beethoven's Graf over one the many other surviving Graf models from that period. The condition of the instrument is the most important thing.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
          X