Gaps in the Mozart Correspondence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaps in the Mozart Correspondence

The study of Mozart is a truly international affair and it sometimes yields great surprises. Some 2 years ago I began friendly correspondence with a Japanese enthusiast (Mr Fujisawa) who began a remarkable analysis of Mozart family letters (the texts of which had only recently been translated in to Japanese for the first time). He decided to focus on a neglected area – that of Mozart letters known to have existed but now missing (either destroyed or somehow lost).

Gaps in correspondence are of course common in biographical study but definite trends started to emerge as Fujisawa slowly filled in the picture – trends that beg an explanation and which are entirely consistent with the view that many letters between the Mozart’s and with others have been systematically destroyed. I would like to focus on this subject briefly here since it has a real bearing on the more controversial areas of Mozart’s life and career.

Firstly, here are some remarkable (and little known) facts –

1.The number of surviving letters addressed to Mozart himself in his entire Vienna period (i.e. during the period when he lived there, from 1781 till 1791) is precisely nil - zero. In fact, with the exception of a single letter from a theatre impresario in London (Robert May O’Reilly from 1790) not a single letter survives from his father Leopold (who died in 1787), from Constanze (during her various absences in Baden, for example), from friends such as Michael Puchberg, or indeed from any other person.

2.Every letter written by Mozart to his father in Salzburg between July 1784 and the time of Leopold’s death in May of 1787 are also (remarkably) missing (with the single exception of one dated 4th April 1787).

3.The Mozart family in Vienna changed their home address no less than 11 times (the last time in 1790) though, again, lost letters are as great a problem between 1790 and the time of Mozart’s death as for all other periods of his life in that city.

4.In a letter to Benedict Schack written 34 years after Mozart’s death (16th February 1825) Constanze (now busy with her second husband in writing a biography of Mozart) says she and her second husband (Nissen) had received around 400 old letters from Mozart’s sister Nannerl but none of them dated after the year 1781.

5.Despite claims that Constanze had no access to now missing letters it is quite clear that the truth was the opposite. For example, in the Nissen biography (made with full approval and oversight by Constanze) letters by Mozart dated 4th April 1787, 16th June 1787 and 2nd August 1788 are all quoted.

Many other lines of evidence strongly suggest a great deal of correspondence existed but was destroyed by Constanze Mozart at the time when she and her second husband were preparing a biography of the composer. In letters which have survived we also find many examples where names have been altered, deletions made and other ‘edits’ made of the text. There is, in short, undeniable evidence that the surviving Mozart correspondence has been tampered with and, in many cases, either been destroyed or altered. These activities strongly indicate that certain chapters in Mozart’s life and career were to be suppressed, hidden or otherwise fabricated. And she, Constanze Mozart, was in charge of his image.

So a statistical analysis of gaps in the correspondence is extremely valuable. It provides at least a chance to see where this ‘censorship’ seems to have been focused.

Another remarkable fact is that certain correspondence from a time prior to arrival in Vienna has also been singled out for special attention by such ‘censorship’. This is specifically the time when Mozart visited Paris from Mannheim, and the same time when he was forced to leave the city at short notice. It's also the time when, it seems, his entire career was in danger of being discredited. We also see a sudden decrease in surviving letters between Leopold in Salzburg and Wolfgang from around April 1778.

But of course, in October 1778 Mozart quits Paris in circumstances that are highly suggestive of irregularity in his ‘Paris’ symphony. It’s at this same time that Mozart’s father writes (having received a now lost letter from his son) saying –

‘I still do not know why Baron Grimm has COMPELLED you to leave (Paris) in such a shameful way – it would have been a good thing for you to stay some days longer...’

Now, from Paris Mozart gets to Strasbourg. He is not yet married. He is courting one of the Weber daughters. And at this very time we have details of a letter from Fridolin to Mozart with information that has a bearing on this strange silence in correspondence. She wrote to him (in a letter dated only ‘October 1778’) that a strange rumour has swept the city of Mannheim that he, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was ‘a dead person’. That letter has not survived but a letter to his father on this point has. He writes -

‘The people in Mannheim prayed for my soul – the pitiable daughter (Aloisia) even went to the Capchin church every day to pray for me. A laughing stock ? Not at all. I cannot help being deeply impressed to know of it’
    (Mozart to Leopold from Strasbourg, 15th October 1778. quoting a letter received from Fridolin Weber).

Surely, the evidence indicates that at this time in Mannheim Mozart’s name had been discredited. News had travelled fast to Mannheim of his explusion from Paris. That is why a rumour began that Mozart was ‘dead’. And this ties in exactly with what we know of the fiasco in Paris.

The suppression and even destruction of correspondence between Mozart's sister and himself, and between his father and himself during his whole Vienna period strongly indicates (to me at least) that Nannerl Mozart and Leopold Mozart were now channels for supply of new music on which Mozart’s Vienna reputation could be preserved – that music beginning with the remarkable string of piano concertos on which his Vienna career was really created.

And, of course, Nannerl (marginalised by history but recoreded as being a formidable keyboard player herself) seems to have been involved in furnishing these new piano concertos TO Mozart from Salzburg, having received them herself from elsewhere. From a source known to Leopold but one that would always remain unknown.

Such correspondence could hardly be allowed to survive and it explains how such correspondence disappeared.

Salzburg was now a vital conduit for Mozart receiving new works. The details must of course be ‘censored’. We see this most clearly from 1784, the very time when Mozart’s thematic catalogue begins in Vienna – the same time when surviving letters to Leopold and to Nannerl drop to virtually nothing. And, sure enough, when we start to examine the earliest versions of the piano concertos it's to Salzburg that we must turn
    and to manuscripts written (often) in the hand of none other than Nannerl and Leopold Mozart themselves.

RN

Hello Robert,

Re: correspondence, I think you might be over-doing it. That some incriminating letters are destroyed is one thing. That all letters from a given period are missing sounds like the result of petty spite. Moreover, the idea that Mozart "lives for the ages" & must have all unpleasant details expunged, strikes me as a thought unlikely to occur to his heirs. Not all letters would have incriminating details in them. That all letters have disappeared suggests some other factor(s) may have been at work.

So Constanza remarried. I am wondering. Are there any portraits of her second husband?

Comment

Droell, there are portraits of her second husband. Try this from the Mozart Forum:
      http://mozartforum.com/images/Georg_...issen_1809.jpg

It is sad that Constanze has tampered with history. It angers me as much as Clara Schumann's destroying her husband's last few works because she felt they were either not up to standard or tainted by his insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan:
        Droell, there are portraits of her second husband. Try this from the Mozart Forum:
        http://mozartforum.com/images/Georg_...issen_1809.jpg

It is sad that Constanze has tampered with history. It angers me as much as Clara Schumann's destroying her husband's last few works because she felt they were either not up to standard or tainted by his insanity.
        --------------

Constanze did not tamper with history.
        The letters, all of them, handed to her by
        Mozart's sister, Nannerl are published by Bauer & Deutsch. You will find 6 volumes
        of letters plus commentary.

Mozart did not keep any letters either from family, friends or business associates.
        It was for this reason that his father, Leopold copied many of his own letters with the idea of writing a biography of his son and ordered Mozart to bring back all his letters home from his journey to Paris.

I would recommend Nissen's Mozart Biography
        which would solve many of your suspicions regarding the letters. Yes, some names were crossed out to prevent living people and descendants of those mentioned in the letters to be either hurt or insulted.
        You will read all this in Nissen's Mozart biography. There is also a very good introduction by Dr. Angermuller, the director of the Mozarteum in Salzburg.

Not only did Constanze save all the letters
        given to her, she also purchased letters gifted by Nannerl to the adventurer, Dr. Feuerstein when his estate was auctioned. (See Offenbacher, A Linkage to Mozart; Mozart Jahrbuch 1993-94).

Agnes Selby.

Comment

Dear Agnes Selby,

It is so nice to hear from you again.

(For the benefit of others on this forum Agnes Selby is the writer of a famous biography on Constanze Mozart. We have had remarkable exchanges in the past and I'm truly grateful to hear from her here. I trust you are well and have by now come to terms with the old 'Ashes' debacle ??)

Well, Agnes, I cannot think of anyone more worthy of representing the contrary view on these issues than your goodself.

You mention Nissen's biography. May I first ask if you agree with Mr Fujisawa of Japan, who points out that many letters from very specific times in Mozart's life and career have mysteriously disappeared ? In fact, in the preface to Nissen's biography (which I do not have to hand) it is specifically said that no letters exist for certain periods - and yet the book itself quotes from 3 of them ?

You may also agree that edits/deletions and changes were made to various texts in the surviving letters (this with the approval of Constanze herself).

You may further agree that several times she, Constanze, is the only person who can reasonably have altered texts in the letters. Take for example the famous insertion in the letter regarding the 16 part harmoniemusik which is not in the original held at Salzburg - this undoubtedly added in Denmark. By whom ? Other than Constanze Mozart ? For, that insertion can only have been added by someone who was present at the wedding of Constanze and Wolfgang. And she alone was in Denmark - unless of course Nissen is one and the same person as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. (Since I prefer to work on other assumptions I must say that in this 'wedding letter' there is a clear case of Constanze manipulating the text and adding things which Mozart never wrote.

Finally, perhaps it was amnesia, after all, that caused Constanze Mozart to deny in writing that Eybler was ever involved in the Requiem when, as you know, that statement is contradicted by her earlier claim that he was one of those employed to do precisely that.

You will perhaps forgive me for limiting these examples (instead of adding hundreds of others).

May I just add one more. In the Mozart letters from the last 2 years or so of his life one comes across references to 'N.N'. Is it your view that this 'N.N.' refers to real people or a real person or is it instead your view that this 'N.N.' was added to Mozart's letters during the time that Constanze and Nissen were working on the biography together ?

Very best regards

Robert Newman

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Dear Agnes Selby,

It is so nice to hear from you again.

(For the benefit of others on this forum Agnes Selby is the writer of a famous biography on Constanze Mozart. We have had remarkable exchanges in the past and I'm truly grateful to hear from her here. I trust you are well and have by now come to terms with the old 'Ashes' debacle ??)

Well, Agnes, I cannot think of anyone more worthy of representing the contrary view on these issues than your goodself.

You mention Nissen's biography. May I first ask if you agree with Mr Fujisawa of Japan, who points out that many letters from very specific times in Mozart's life and career have mysteriously disappeared ? In fact, in the preface to Nissen's biography (which I do not have to hand) it is specifically said that no letters exist for certain periods - and yet the book itself quotes from 3 of them ?

You may also agree that edits/deletions and changes were made to various texts in the surviving letters (this with the approval of Constanze herself).

You may further agree that several times she, Constanze, is the only person who can reasonably have altered texts in the letters. Take for example the famous insertion in the letter regarding the 16 part harmoniemusik which is not in the original held at Salzburg - this undoubtedly added in Denmark. By whom ? Other than Constanze Mozart ? For, that insertion can only have been added by someone who was present at the wedding of Constanze and Wolfgang. And she alone was in Denmark - unless of course Nissen is one and the same person as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. (Since I prefer to work on other assumptions I must say that in this 'wedding letter' there is a clear case of Constanze manipulating the text and adding things which Mozart never wrote.

Finally, perhaps it was amnesia, after all, that caused Constanze Mozart to deny in writing that Eybler was ever involved in the Requiem when, as you know, that statement is contradicted by her earlier claim that he was one of those employed to do precisely that.

You will perhaps forgive me for limiting these examples (instead of adding hundreds of others).

May I just add one more. In the Mozart letters from the last 2 years or so of his life one comes across references to 'N.N'. Is it your view that this 'N.N.' refers to real people or a real person or is it instead your view that this 'N.N.' was added to Mozart's letters during the time that Constanze and Nissen were working on the biography together ?

Very best regards

Robert Newman
            -------------

My dear Mr. Newman, you have acquired so much false information from you Japanese
            friend, that it is not possible for me to counter all your questions. The best possible advice I can give you is to go to the Mozarteum in Salzburg and try and verify
            Mr. Fujisawa's statements. As Mr. Fujisawa is yet to study archival evidence, you will be well advised to reserve your judgement
            until you can find out for yourself.

Mr. Fijisawa, through the good offices of your good self, has not yet produced any valid evidence to support his claims. It is therefore difficult to up-turn the entire
            century of Mozart research on pure speculation.

Regards,
            Agnes Selby.

Comment

My Dear Agnes Selby,

Sorry, but you are the person who is badly misinformed.

Contrary to your statement, Mr Fujisawa of Japan has made a very detailed study of these issues and HAS published his findings (the first made in real detail on the missing Mozart correspondence) and, as it happens, I have before me as I write the full text of his findings, in English.

Thank you for your suggestion that I refer to the Mozarteum but let us not simply drop names like calling cards. Let us instead deal with the actual issues if you are so sure that the Mozarteum and your goodself are speaking correctly on these issues.

Here is a second chance for these issues to be addressed. Which of the following 4 statements do you, a person who has studied the life and works of the Mozart's, who has written on the life of Constanze Mozart and who has also studied archives at the Mozarteum disagree with ? Here they are. I think any reader can understand the ease with which they can be answered. I have made it simple. Please simply provide a TRUE or FALSE to the following questions -

STATEMENT NO. 1 - The number of surviving letters addressed to Mozart from his entire Vienna period (i.e. from 1781 till 1791) is precisely nil - zero. In fact, with the exception of a single letter from a theatre impresario in London (Robert May O’Reilly from 1790) not a single letter survives from his father Leopold (who died in 1787), from Constanze (during her various absences in Baden, for example), from friends such as Michael Puchberg, or indeed from any other person.

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

2.Every letter written by Mozart to his father in Salzburg between July 1784 and the time of Leopold’s death in May of 1787 is also (remarkably) missing (with the single exception of one dated 4th April 1787).

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

3.The Mozart family in Vienna changed their home address no less than 11 times (the last time in 1790) though, again, lost letters are as great a problem between 1790 and the time of Mozart’s death as for all other periods of his life in that city.

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

4.In a letter to Benedict Schack written 34 years after Mozart’s death (16th February 1825) Constanze (now busy with her second husband in writing a biography of Mozart) says she and her second husband (Nissen) had received around 400 old letters from Mozart’s sister Nannerl but none of these dated after the year 1781.

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

5.Despite claims that Constanze had no access to now missing letters it is quite clear that the truth was the opposite. For example, in the Nissen biography (made with full approval and oversight by Constanze) letters by Mozart dated 4th April 1787, 16th June 1787 and 2nd August 1788 are all quoted.

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

Readers of this thread will already be surprised Agnes that you manage to avoid offering any answer to my specific questions asked of you in my last post on Nissen, the biography he wrote with Constanze, and her manipulating/editing and altering the surviving correspondence. Is this avoidance of straight questions further example of the expertise that exists these days from those who appeal to the Mozarteum ?

Let us try here, in open forum, with many people interested in fair and open discussion on such issues, to see what is true and what is not true. I commit myself to answering your questions and we now wait to see if you can do the same.

You end with the words 'pure speculation' in regrard to Mr Fujisawa's findings (a work you plainly have never read. Such words may be acceptable to all sorts of things connected with the Mozart myth but are hardly acceptable when we are discussing a statistical report. In fact the findings of Mr Fujisawa are detailed and are entirely verfiable (some of them before me in table form). They can be presented in detail and confirmed by anyone.

Pardon me for repeating that you studiously avoid my first set of questions. Is this the shape of things to come ? Shall we now be deafened by the 'official' answers you provide from Salzburg in your next posting ?

Robert Newman

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 02-16-2006).]

Comment

My Dear Agnes Selby,

Contrary to your statement, Mr Fujisawa of Japan has made a very detailed study of these issues and HAS published his findings (the first made in real detail on the missing Mozart correspondence) and, as it happens, I have before me as I write the full text of his findings, in English.

Thank you for your suggestion that I refer to the Mozarteum but let us not simply drop names like calling cards. Let us instead deal with the actual issues if you are so sure that the Mozarteum and your goodself are speaking correctly on these issues.

Here is a second chance for these issues to be addressed. Which of the following 4 statements do you, a person who has studied the life and works of the Mozart's, who has written on the life of Constanze Mozart and who has also studied archives at the Mozarteum disagree with ? Here they are. I think any reader can understand the ease with which they can be answered. I have made it simple. Please simply provide a TRUE or FALSE to the following questions -

STATEMENT NO. 1 - The number of surviving letters addressed to Mozart from his entire Vienna period (i.e. from 1781 till 1791) is precisely nil - zero. In fact, with the exception of a single letter from a theatre impresario in London (Robert May O’Reilly from 1790) not a single letter survives from his father Leopold (who died in 1787), from Constanze (during her various absences in Baden, for example), from friends such as Michael Puchberg, or indeed from any other person.

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

2.Every letter written by Mozart to his father in Salzburg between July 1784 and the time of Leopold’s death in May of 1787 is also (remarkably) missing (with the single exception of one dated 4th April 1787).

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

4.In a letter to Benedict Schack written 34 years after Mozart’s death (16th February 1825) Constanze (now busy with her second husband in writing a biography of Mozart) says she and her second husband (Nissen) had received around 400 old letters from Mozart’s sister Nannerl but none of these dated after the year 1781.

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

Readers of this thread will already be surprised Agnes that you manage to avoid offering any answer to my specific questions asked of you in my last post on Nissen, the biography he wrote with Constanze, and her manipulating/editing and altering the surviving correspondence. Is this avoidance of straight questions further example of the expertise that exists these days from those who appeal to the Mozarteum ?

Let us try here, in open forum, with many people interested in fair and open discussion on such issues, to see what is true and what is not true. I commit myself to answering your questions and we now wait to see if you can do the same.

You end with the words 'pure speculation' in regrard to Mr Fujisawa's findings (a work you plainly have never read. Such words may be acceptable to all sorts of things connected with the Mozart myth but are hardly acceptable when we are discussing a statistical report. In fact the findings of Mr Fujisawa are detailed and are entirely verfiable (some of them before me in table form). They can be presented in detail and confirmed by anyone.

Pardon me for repeating that you studiously avoid my first set of questions. Is this the shape of things to come ? Shall we now be deafened by the 'official' answers you provide from Salzburg in your next posting ?

Robert Newman

--------------

Dear Robert,

I promise I will reply to your questions but at present I have my editor breathing down my neck. So I have to attend to the work I am being paid for.

However, if I remember correctly, I have discussed this with you before. Would I not be wasting my time to repeat it all again ?

I am delighted to hear that Mr.Fujisawa
                has written some English articles. Could you please tell me where can I obtain them?

However, I have one little question for you.

Somewhere on these pages you suggested that the Jesuits paid for the young Mozart's travels.

How so? Is that a documented fact?

It is true that Leopold Mozart attended
                a Jesuit high school in Augsburg. It was an expensive school but the school fees were discounted because his father bound the prayer books for the Augsburg Cathedral.

BUT! In Salzburg Leopold attended the
                BENEDICTINE University. He was to study Theology but instead registered for courses
                in Philisophy and Jurisprudence. He was an examplary scholar during the first year
                but then his love of music and the application of all his time to the study of composition, earned him a DISMISSAL from the University.

He then worked for the Count Thurn-Valsassina und Taxis as "valet with musical obligations" for three years before he joined the Archbishop's orchestra.

So how do the Jesuits fit into the picture?

Agnes Selby.

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:
                  Hello Robert,

Re: correspondence, I think you might be over-doing it. That some incriminating letters are destroyed is one thing. That all letters from a given period are missing sounds like the result of petty spite. Moreover, the idea that Mozart "lives for the ages" & must have all unpleasant details expunged, strikes me as a thought unlikely to occur to his heirs. Not all letters would have incriminating details in them. That all letters have disappeared suggests some other factor(s) may have been at work.

So Constanza remarried. I am wondering. Are there any portraits of her second husband?

-------------

Dear Droell, Yes there is a picture of the diplomat,Georg Nissen in a number of books
                  including in my book, "Constanze, Mozart's Beloved". The same picture appears in Nissen's Mozart Biography obtainable from
                  the Mozarteum bookshop and probably from Amazon.de

Nissen did not complete the biography. He died soon after he collected all the material for the book. The "Foreword" is his. It was completed by Dr. Feuerstein.

Agnes Selby.

Comment

Dear Agnes,

Thanks for your post. In reply, no we have not discussed this subject before. The subject of missing correspondence of the Mozart family has not been touched on by either of the two Mozart websites which you and I have used frequently and the statistical material has only been available since we last corresponded.

In respect of Jesuit backing and the loyalty of the Mozart family to that military Order such things are worthy of a quite separate thread, don't you agree ? You will no doubt be aware that in 1773, when Mozart was around 17 years old, the Jesuits, officially banned, continued to exist within the Holy Roman Empire despite their ban by the papacy, and also that they frequently used other religious Orders to continue their operations. Indeed, in many respects their work continued with little real change other than that of the exterior. So at least says all the histories, both Catholic and non-Catholic. But I will of course develop this when we get to such a second thread.

Regards

Robert Newman

Comment

But I will of course develop this when we get to such a second thread.

Regards

Robert Newman

Please don't open a second thread on this Robert - continue the discussion here!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Agnes,

Thanks for your post. In reply, no we have not discussed this subject before. The subject of missing correspondence of the Mozart family has not been touched on by either of the two Mozart websites which you and I have used frequently and the statistical material has only been available since we last corresponded.

In respect of Jesuit backing and the loyalty of the Mozart family to that military Order such things are worthy of a quite separate thread, don't you agree ? You will no doubt be aware that in 1773, when Mozart was around 17 years old, the Jesuits, officially banned, continued to exist within the Holy Roman Empire despite their ban by the papacy, and also that they frequently used other religious Orders to continue their operations. Indeed, in many respects their work continued with little real change other than that of the exterior. So at least says all the histories, both Catholic and non-Catholic. But I will of course develop this when we get to such a second thread.

Regards

Robert Newman

----------

Dear Robert,

Are you per chance suggesting that
                        the Benedictine University in Salzburg
                        was a cover up for Jesuits?

What proof do you have?

It is not good enough shooting from the hip.

Regards,
                        Agnes.

Comment

My Dear Agnes Selby,

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

Is this TRUE or FALSE ?

Robert Newman

-----------

Robert, when I refer you to the Mozarteum,
                          I am not dropping names but giving you good
                          advice. The Mozarteum is not a gambling institution for dropping cards, but a serious institution of learning. It has
                          the largest archival library pertaining to Mozart, it is a university for the education
                          of musicians and scholars.

If you were prepared to visit the Mozarteum you might just come across the letters you are telling me are missing. You will also find them in the Bauer & Deutch volumes of letters and commentaries. These books, however, are not translated into English.
                          Perhaps Mr. Fujisawa can read German.

You may learn that Mozart did not keep letters and it was for this reason that his father requested he bring back all his letters from his journey to Paris
                          as he wanted to include his own letters in the biography of his son. You just might come across this explanation written
                          in Nannerl Mozart's hand. Leopold also copied his own letters to his son for the
                          same purpose i. e. a biography of his son.

It might also come as a surprise to you that
                          Nissen did not write Mozart's biography.
                          The work of accumulating data was done by
                          Nissen and his assistants who are acknowledged in the biography and Nissen wrote the preface.

The work was completed by Dr. Feuerstein.

It would help you to read the articles by Offenbacher (by the way they are in English so you and Mr. Fujijama would understand them) published in Mozart Jahbuch 1993-94.

As Dr. Feuerstein did not live in Salzburg
                          Constanze never saw the work before it was published by Breitkopf & Hartel.

Robert, before you decide to tear apart Mozart's reputation and replace it with that of Luchesi, you will have to provide
                          valid references, data and solid information.

That is what scholars do. This applies to the study of Beethoven, Chopin and all other composers even those who lived during the 20th century.

When you shoot from the hip, referring only to Mr. Fujisawa who is totally unknown within the realm of Mozart scholarship,
                          who is yet to DOCUMENT his findings, you will not be taken seriously by Mozartean scholars. Perhaps students will copy you
                          from the internet, but this at their own peril.

I promise I will not bombard you with tales from the Mozarteum in Salzburg. I will rest
                          my opinion here and now.

Regards,
                          Agnes.

Comment

Dear Agnes,

Something rather better was expected. You see, I've twice posted very specific questions to you on this with the simplest possible option being to say whether they are supported by facts or not. But you choose to avoid answering in both cases. Perhaps I know less now than when I first began ?

Your supposed concern for students being rightly informed is admirable. If only it was supported by replies of the sort requested here with evidence that you claim is so readily available from the Mozarteum. The simple truth is (and everyone can now see it clearly) you will not answer these questions.

I would end the matter here except that you wish to bow out with even further errors - all the time waving the flag for 'scholarship' and with a claim that you have nothing but the education of students as your principal motivation. But just what sort of scholarship are here presenting students with here ? You read like a politician pleading the 5th Amendment.

You say the Mozarteum is not a gambling institution but a serious institution of learning. Yes, perfectly true, and I have never disputed this. The problem is of course that we must ask what we learn from it - is this not true ? For there are many centres of learning and, to date, you have not given us an example of what excellent knowledge you may have obtained from the Mozarteum. None whatsoever - and this despite repeated requests.

Is it asking too much to give the date of a single surviving letter sent to one Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart during his entire mature career in Vienna - a career that spanned fully 10 years ? Or is this the academic equivalent of the 'Last Secret of Fatima' ? I confess that I see humour in such a ridiculously easy question being beyond you to answer.

The Bauer and Deutsch commentaries focus on letters that have survived and which CAN be read. Sorry to remind you but this thread is on the many letters which have NOT survived and which cannot (therefore) be read. Has this escaped your notice ?

You now say Mozart did not keep letters. But if Mozart did not keep letters how could his father have instructed him to bring them back ? Common sense tells us that Mozart DID keep them, since he was (as you say yourself) under instruction in Paris to bring them back to his father. You have therefore proved the very opposite of what you suppose. You have proved that Mozart (in Paris) definitely DID keep his letters. And that he definitely DID bring them back to his father. Indeed, for as long as his father had a biography in mind that was what Mozart did. And Leopold Mozart died 4 years before Wolfgang. We are therefore (by your own admission) justified to believe that letters were being meticulously kept by Leopold Mozart up until 1787 - fully 9 years after he was in Paris. And Mozart (credited with being meticulous in his thematic catalogue and in his personal affairs, kept his letters). For that is precisely what abundant evidence suggests.

You say Nissen did not write Mozart's biography. Yes, of course, Constanze Mozart did. She alone had intimate knowlege of her late husband's life, did she not ? But Nissen had next to none. Such a fact is indisputable and Constanze's hand is in the creation of that biography as you know perfectly well. Indeed, she worked for years and used her second husband as an assistant - as everyone who has ever looked at this subject already knows.

Since you will not address the issue of her doctoring the surviving letters or editing out names/texts etc. you must at least admit this was done by someone famuliar with the names/personalities themselves - none other than Constanze Mozart hersef. It was Constanze Mozart who (as you must surely realise) added text to Mozart's letter on his marriage festivities - the evidence for which is now a matter of common knowledge. But, again, that simple example draws not even your acknowledgement. Such is your refusal to address these issues. She manipulated the correspondence, destroyed many letters, edited others (effectively acting as a censor), and all of this despite being responsible for the wholesale destruction of Mozart's own received correspondence during their entire married period. So says the evidence. And so says all the converging evidence.

The fact that Constanze Mozart is a notorious teller of contradictory stories on many aspects of Mozart's life need hardly be mentioned (since it can be refered to in many, many Mozart books) but you already know what I mean and we need hardly touch on it here.

That the Nissen biography was completed by Dr Feuerstein (who was not a citizen of Salzburg) is not under dispute. But the same Doctor never met Mozart and had nothing whatsoever to say on Mozart's life that had not been given by Constanze Mozart. This you know perfectly well. (I am puzzled that you mention this).

You say I wish to 'tear apart' Mozart's reputation and wish to replace it with that of Andrea Luchesi. Agnes, we have had close to 200 years of Mozart being built up in to iconic status and made in to a character whose musical status is portrayed as being virtually impregnable. Such a fact is the true context within which we are here discussing this issue. During this same time we have seen virtually no recognition of Andrea Luchesi (by authors on Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven). In such a situation (and taking on board the evidence we are now discussing) am I not being reasonable to say that Mozart's status is no more justifiable than the actual evidence supports ? I think the word 'dismantle' would be more appropriate, seeing, after all, that the wonderful music itself will survive regardless of whether it is attributed to Sammartini, Luchesi or whoever. And, as far as Luchesi is concerned, specifically, nobody has ever suggested that he wrote all of Mozart's music. That would be a gross simplication. Others did too. Including Michael Haydn and others. But of this we need not get in to detail here.

You have decided to 'rest' your opinion on this subject of the Mozart missing correspondence. Fine. Such exertions, such lucid answers, and such responses to clear questions is no doubt viewed by my critics as a great advertisement for the Mozarteum and for 'received wisdom', is it not ? I give you 7 out of 10 for artistic impression Agnes but 1 for actual content.

Perhaps you will forgive me ?

Robert

Comment

Working...
                            X