Clear All

Authentic instrument mp3s - overtures Op.113 & Op.117

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

The best performances I have heard of these overtures - much quicker than usual from my experience, and the period instruments speak for themselves. The music including the vocal numbers is unlike anything else Beethoven composed to my mind, the festive nature of which is often misunderstood. As has been mentioned here recently the Ruins and Stephen music have some excellent numbers within them.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 02-16-2006).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thanks, Rod, these are very nice. Zinman's recordings of the overtures are my favorite. Have you heard them? If so, what do you think, aside from the fact that they are on modern instruments?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        Thanks, Rod, these are very nice. Zinman's recordings of the overtures are my favorite. Have you heard them? If so, what do you think, aside from the fact that they are on modern instruments?
        No I haven't heard these, though I know Zinman has 'authentisist tendancies' despite his use of modern orchestra. In what way do you prefer Zinman's efforts?

Rod

------------------

Comment

The swift tempos and energy. I love his recordings of the symphonies for the same reason. The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra just hasn't been the same since he left, sadly.

Comment

Really enjoyed these recordings, Rod, thanks for that. Also enjoyed the information especially about 'August von Kotzebue who was assassinated in Mannheim by a theology student who suspected him of being a Russian spy'. Very interesting. These pieces along with the Overture in C were sent to the Royal Philharmonic Society in 1816 as being 'new compositions written expressly for the society.' The works were played through and then laid aside. Beethoven himself called overture to 'The Ruins of Athens' "a little recreation piece."

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 02-16-2006).]
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              The swift tempos and energy. I love his recordings of the symphonies for the same reason. The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra just hasn't been the same since he left, sadly.
              Well these are pretty swift and energetic too, but it's a pity Zinman hasn't (to my knowledge) tried to get in with the authentic movement.

------------------

Comment

Nice recordings. I have the CD of the Hanover Band playing Beethoven's overtures: my favorite recordings of the overtures.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  Well these are pretty swift and energetic too, but it's a pity Zinman hasn't (to my knowledge) tried to get in with the authentic movement.

Agreed, but I wasn't comparing these recordings to Zinman, just giving the reason why I like Zinman's efforts more than others in general. As I said, I think these are fine recordings. I'm glad Zinman hasn't gotten into the authentic movement, as it's nice to get this kind of energy and freshness from modern instrument recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey:
                    Nice recordings. I have the CD of the Hanover Band playing Beethoven's overtures: my favorite recordings of the overtures.
                    Mine too, 'Consecration of the House' is fantastic on this CD.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X