Rough Notes on the Life and Career of Mozart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Notes on the Life and Career of Mozart

It's now possible to say with some certainty that the public life and career of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-91) was as much due to intrigue and downright falsehood as the birth of a specially gifted child of a Jesuit educated musician at Salzburg.

Having finished some quite detailed studies of the background to the circumstances under which Mozart burst in to prominence as a composer I would like to sketch what I think may be a sustainable outline for future studies of his career. In doing this I realise that on some fundamental issues I will have different views with some great and helpful researchers such as Giorgio Taboga (though we still tread paths that are remarkably parallel in many ways).

Besides, since this year of 2006 is one of non-stop celebration marking the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth in Salzburg my own comments on his life and career are will be of no signficance to the vast majority of music lovers.

In Italy during the 18th century huge strides were made in almost all areas of music theory and practice, these eventually focusing (as Taboga rightly says) on mathematics, acoustics and music theory. This movement really came together at Padua and it formed the nucleus of a school - one whose achievements in many areas of music would soon have huge significance in Germany and Austria. This Padua school (which was composed of many great scholars including, eventually, Andrea Luchesi, Valotti and others) was well known to the most famous music theoretician of Europe at the time, Padre Martini of Bologna.

Mozart biographers are often surpised by the animosity shown by the composer in the early 1770's (this revealed in his private correspondence) towards certain composers. One such example is his attitude towards Abbe Georg Joseph Vogler (1749-1814) whom Mozart frequently speaks about in very disparaging ways. (In his early 20's the pianistic skills of Beethoven would be compared by more neutral observers only to those of this same Abbe Vogler - but Mozart hated the man and is several times on record as dismissing his music (much of it now lost) as virtually rubbish. This is an important point. Why ? Well, years before in Padua when Luchesi was deeply involved in the musical 'think tanks' of this Jesuit movement to create remarkable music it had been Vogler himself who had arrived there (having earlier been for a time a student of the same Padre Martini). And Vogler had gone gone to Rome to be awarded the order of the Golden Spur - an award that was confered on him some 4 years after that given to Mozart himself. The difference between Vogler and Mozart other than age (Vogler being 7 years older) is that only Vogler was given besides the order of the Golden Spur also the official office of 'Prenotary' and also as a Chamberlain to the Papacy (effectively, the post of a papal legate). Vogler was to be in touch with powerful people throughout the rest of his career. But neither he nor Mozart (at the time of them receiving their awards from the Pope in Rome) had really done much ih the way of music. (Vogler had written at the time only a ballet and a some minor works - hardly enough to justify such a huge reward in Rome). In Mozart's case the award is equally strange. For in July of 1770 Mozart had made tours with his father and had even undertaken some study with Padre Martini - but he was hardly a hugely important figure in music. The two young men were nevertheless knighted into the same Order. Vogler would return from Rome to establish a music school at the prestigious court of Mannheim. Mozart would, from this time onwards, be cultivated as a celebrity.

But the animosity shown by Mozart is surely explained by the fact that Luchesi (who was also of he same Padua school as Vogler) had given to Mozart and his father one of his own piano concertos (this in 1771) during their trip to Italy. It was this Luchesi concerto which Mozart continued to use as his own until well in to the late 1780's. Vogler was aware of this. And Mozart knew that Vogler knew. The hostility between them is matched only by that shown by a few other composers such as Peter Winter.

To date, the dislike of Mozart by other composers has been brushed aside as being due to their great jealousy of his formidable talents. In point of fact, those who were hostile to Mozart seem to have been infuriated that he, Mozart, was clearly being cultivated and helped as a musical celebrity and as a virtual circus across Europe. (In 1781 Mozart had his 'Idomeneo' performed at Munich, at the very court where Peter Winter was in charge of operatic music. Again, Winter's hostility towards Mozart is dismissed as being simple jealousy. But Winter himself had at this time already written some 30 operas and had little reason to be hostile because of 'Idomeneo').

Vogler was aware of the Mozart story. He knew that, in time, what had begun as a 'cottage industry' was destined to become a virtual factory. He was aware that works would soon be attributed to Mozart in his adulthood as they had been right througout his childhood. He knew that Mozart was a greatly gifted musician and performer. But he also knew that the manufacture of Mozart was a corporate project, a public response to the formidable musical legacy of JS Bach.

It was to be Vogler who, in 1790/1 visited Bonn. (He is recorded as having visited Beethoven there during a time when he was ill). But at Bonn too was his old fellow student from Padua, Kapellmeister Andrea Luchesi, a man whose works would soon vanish but who had been actively supplying compositions to both Haydn and Mozart.

This plus the arrival of two large publishing firms in Vienna (Artaria in 1780) and Hoffmeister in 1785 ensured that by the time Mozart began his thematic catalogue in early 1784 (the same time as Max Franz becomes Elector in Bonn) an entire network existed by which musical works from safe sources could appear and be widely distributed to further the aims of the 'Wiener Klassik' - a movement which would in due course ensure the immortality of Mozart and the 'supremacy' of German music - this even to the exclusion of others. It would therefore be wrong to regard this as a debate between Italians and Germans (though this aspect of it certainly featured) but, instead, of a Catholic movement to revive its prestige at a time when it was under great pressure from Protestant Europe and from growing secularisation.

Bonn, Luchesi, Vogler (who was later to be involved in the career of other German composers) Max Franz, and many others set in motion a movement which supplied Mozart with music. Of this I am now sure. Some of this came through Salzburg. Some through Bonn and other places. The degree to which this is true remains to be shown.

Robert Newman

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 01-27-2006).]

It seems Robert you find it hard to credit Mozart with any real achievement, all your remarks are negative. I would on behalf of the Beethoven reference site like to mark the 250th anniversary of the great man's birth by saying a massive Thank-you to Mozart for all the pleasure he has given millions.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      It seems Robert you find it hard to credit Mozart with any real achievement, all your remarks are negative. I would on behalf of the Beethoven reference site like to mark the 250th anniversary of the great man's birth by saying a massive Thank-you to Mozart for all the pleasure he has given millions.

Absolutely, Peter! I'm listening to Symphony No. 39 right now and plan to follow it up with more.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Absolutely spot on. Not to mention the impact and influence he had on B, who adored him.

------------------
        Seizing fate by the throat...
        Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

And I believe Tchaikovsky adored him as well.
          All week NPR radio has been celebrating his life and music and tonight is no exception. Tonight's program will include his Symphony #34; violin concerto #3; Cosi Fan Tutte; Serenade in D K203; and the minuet from his Serenade in D K320; piano concerto K491; symphony #29 and his violin sonata K376. If you want to tune in just go to for more information:
          http://www.kbaq.org/

We also will be going tonight to an all Mozart concert at the Arizona State University which will include three of his piano sonatas including K330. Some beautiful music awaits!

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

If music attributed to Mozart was actually composed by someone else, what difference would that make to your enjoyment of it ? It remains a body of music full of great beauty and elegance at its best. The processes by which it came in to the world are academic, are they not ? The same is true of a Shakespeare play.

Again, if Homer never existed shall we say that works which he is attributed as writing are not worthy of being read ?

I celebrate the fact that Mozart, who was selected from a very early age to lose his childhood and his natural relations with others of his age, was happy to devote his life to a career that gave him, in fact, so little in return, and that he (regardless of how it was done) is today associated with some of the greatest music written in the 18th or any other century. I do not love the tune of 'Greensleeves' any less by the fact that it is today 'anonymous'. And therefore Mozart remains for me a man whom I celebrate as the person officially named first in connection with these works. I too salute the man and see his life as one worthy of our respect.

This year of 2006 we can alao celebrate composers such as JM Kraus, Shostakovitch and others. Is this too not a good thing ? Of course it is. So what harm is done that in the end we are left with this great music ?

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              And I believe Tchaikovsky adored him as well.
              All week NPR radio has been celebrating his life and music and tonight is no exception. Tonight's program will include his Symphony #34; violin concerto #3; Cosi Fan Tutte; Serenade in D K203; and the minuet from his Serenade in D K320; piano concerto K491; symphony #29 and his violin sonata K376. If you want to tune in just go to for more information:
              http://www.kbaq.org/

We also will be going tonight to an all Mozart concert at the Arizona State University which will include three of his piano sonatas including K330. Some beautiful music awaits!

Tchaikovsky did indeed love Mozart and based his 4th orchestral suite on Mozart themes. Hope you enjoyed the concerts!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I did enjoy the concert, of course, thank you! The pianist Caio Paigano,a music professor at the university, performs there quite often and is just wonderful.

Also I heard last night that in Salzburg at 8:00pm (the time when Mozart was born) the town rang all the church bells and the people were in the streets celebrating. Must have been pandemonium!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 01-28-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 01-28-2006).]

Comment

I did enjoy the concert, of course, thank you! The pianist Caio Paigano,a music professor at the university, performs there quite often and is just wonderful.

Also I heard last night that in Salzburg at 8:00pm (the time when Mozart was born) the town rang all the church bells and the people were in the streets celebrating. Must have been pandemonium!

If you are on Mountain time, then that was at 12:00 P.M. I was able to hear that and I can say that it brought goosebumps. It was quite the experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

If you are on Mountain time, then that was at 12:00 P.M. I was able to hear that and I can say that it brought goosebumps. It was quite the experience!
                    I am on Mountain Time and did hear it. I also agree it brought some goosebumps to me as well. Quite amazing! Fred Childs, the host of NPR radio, was in Salzberg all week and reported on Friday from Mozart's apartment where he lived for 17 years. He talked with the curator and the artist who refurbished his apartment just for the celebrations. Lots of stories and historic converstions. Quite interesting! Did you hear that interview?

------------------

Comment

I am on Mountain Time and did hear it. I also agree it brought some goosebumps to me as well. Quite amazing! Fred Childs, the host of NPR radio, was in Salzberg all week and reported on Friday from Mozart's apartment where he lived for 17 years. He talked with the curator and the artist who refurbished his apartment just for the celebrations. Lots of stories and historic converstions. Quite interesting! Did you hear that interview?

Unfortunately, not. I was at work and didn't get to hear a lot; I did hear the K 503 (?) Piano Concerto in C Major (one of my favorites of his) and a couple of other works.

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

If music attributed to Mozart was actually composed by someone else, what difference would that make to your enjoyment of it ? It remains a body of music full of great beauty and elegance at its best. The processes by which it came in to the world are academic, are they not ? The same is true of a Shakespeare play.

Again, if Homer never existed shall we say that works which he is attributed as writing are not worthy of being read ?

I celebrate the fact that Mozart, who was selected from a very early age to lose his childhood and his natural relations with others of his age, was happy to devote his life to a career that gave him, in fact, so little in return, and that he (regardless of how it was done) is today associated with some of the greatest music written in the 18th or any other century. I do not love the tune of 'Greensleeves' any less by the fact that it is today 'anonymous'. And therefore Mozart remains for me a man whom I celebrate as the person officially named first in connection with these works. I too salute the man and see his life as one worthy of our respect.

This year of 2006 we can alao celebrate composers such as JM Kraus, Shostakovitch and others. Is this too not a good thing ? Of course it is. So what harm is done that in the end we are left with this great music ?

Robert
                        Robert, as I'm new to this forum, can I ask: How much of the music attributed to Mozart do you claim was not written by him?

Regards,

Frank
                        (London South Bank University)

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank H:

Robert, as I'm new to this forum, can I ask: How much of the music attributed to Mozart do you claim was not written by him?

Regards,

Frank
                          (London South Bank University)

I'm not Robert Newman, but the subject interests me. Considering Mozart's age when he died, considering his unsettled life, and then comparing him in a general sense to other prolific composers (J.S. Bach, Teleman, Vivaldi, etc.), I would guess that about one third of the 626 are actually Mozart's. I am eager to see scholarship in this area. In this anniversary year, there will probably be several surprises.

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 02-14-2006).]

Comment

Dear Frank,

Thank you for your question which is (believe it or not) the first time anyone has asked it of me.

I believe that of the 626 works that we find today in the Koechel list the vast majority are either NOT by Mozart or are arrangements made by him (and other members of his family).

I further believe that in a few years from now the seemingly impregnable status of Mozart (indeed that of Haydn also) will be revealed to have largely been built on a concerted publicity stunt begun in the mid 18th century, sustained by a Jesuit network of composers and musicians throughout Mozart's lifetime and finished around the time when the Koechel list of 'Mozart's' works was made - at around the same time as the early decades of the Mozarteum in Salzburg.

Without wishing to be facetious I could easily reverse the question and ask which composer in the entire history of music has been given such amazing credibility for having written hundreds of works based on evidence that is either lacking, unsubstantiated or flimsy as that which we almost unconsciously attribute to both Haydn and to Mozart. But in the case of Mozart we are so often like rabbits scared by the glare of headlights and unable to realise that our own standards of judgement, our own judgement, even our own criteria that we would naturally use with other composers and their music, that we know such doubts would be rubbished by others when we consider fairly his actual achievements.

We use arguments in defence of Mozart that rarely sustainable or even logical. We are aware of his poisonous attitudes to those who criticised him or who happened to stand in his way. Indeed, it is with Mozart (and with him almost exclusively) that we allow ourselves casually to accept by mere convention - spoonfed to us in a forest of books - that he 'did this or did that in two days, or six weeks' etc. or that his skill and talent justify us believing things that are, in point of fact, contradicted by a great deal of contemporary evidence.

If a contemporary critic of the 'Mozart road show' questioned the underlying assumptions of Mozart he is today said to be a man possessed only of envy, or some ulterior motive - a person whose aim is only to 'reduce the status of his achievements' or who in 'ignorance'' wishes only to rubbish that which is 'self-evident'. We therefore arrive at a crazy situation in which despite the fact that more than half of Mozart's works lack documentary support of even the most basic kind that would confirm our attribution of that music to him - and dozens of other cases where such attributions bear in actuality the hallmarks of Leopold Mozart, Michael Haydn, or other composers. It is no longer enough, in fact, to point to the appalling statistic that virtually 100 symphonies have at various times being attributed to this man when, today, there are officially 41 or, perhaps around 50. Is THAT in itself not sufficient grounds for a reappraisal of these issues ?

Now, I would call a halt to such things if I was in no position to fill the void made by questioning Mozart as being the true composer of these works. But the truth is, of course, that murky origins and unsubstantiated tradition are the most startling features of Mozart's mature career, just as they surely are for works from his childhood and his youth.

So, in answer to your question, though it's a quite 'modern' thing to review the underlying assumptions of Mozart's real achievements, I do so acknowledging that he, Mozart, was a brilliant pianist, a great arranger and a skilled man in many ways - and this despite the fact that I also increasingly regard him (and 'Papa Haydn') as products of a set of circumstances that have shrouded the truth of his career from real appreciation and which have falsely led us in circles on these issus for almost 200 years.

To love this music is not so difficult. It represents (in my view) some of the very finest of the 18th century or any other century and I for one cannot imagine a world in which this music is not ours to enjoy. But, when all is said and done, the evidence of fraud, manipulation of music by other composers, and the suppression of the unapplauded achivements of Mozart's contemporaries are reason enough for me to dissent from the 'consensus view' (one I learned myself before it became increasingly clear that it was flawed) and I feel justified for actively doing so.

I agree with Professor Giorgio Taboga (another of the modern 'heretics') that in respect of these two composers of the 'Wiener Klassik' we do a service to music in the longer term to describe Haydn and Mozart as virtual 'brand names' that were cultivated specifically by vested interests of the 18th century to bring glory to the Habsburg Empire at a time when such a strategy was deemed to be worthy of making such efforts.

I am confident that the truth about Haydn and Mozart's real achivements will, in time, emerge and be appreciated and we will not condemn them but give them a status equal to those of many other great and largely unacknowledged composers to whom they owed a debt as we do today.

I cannot answer your question specifically. I can only say that in a year or so from now the vacuum of Mozart's iconic status will be filled by the truth that he was not the composer of most of those works against which he and his early supporters claimed he was.

In 1784 (as you may know yourself) Mozart's music takes a leap in quality which amazes us when we compare it with that which preceded it. His thematic catalogue begun in Vienna that year (which we have until now trusted almost to the point of denying our own faculties of judgement) tell us that this incredible string of works beginning that year must necessarily be of his own composition. For Mozart says so. But the same has been said of Haydn and no eyebrows are raised today when we point out the glaring examples of duplicity in his career.

The best answer I can give you at this time is that I know of some 200 works in Koechel which, I strongly believe, were not by Mozart and have strong suspicions on a further 150 or so. Quite enough to suggest that these things are not entirely without some support.

Regards

Robert Newman

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

I believe that of the 626 works that we find today in the Koechel list the vast majority are either NOT by Mozart or are arrangements made by him (and other members of his family).

I cannot answer your question specifically. I can only say that in a year or so from now the vacuum of Mozart's iconic status will be filled by the truth that he was not the composer of most of those works against which he and his early supporters claimed he was.

Robert,

I don't understand how you can make these statements which sound so categorical and yet you cannopt give us any specific prooof or any textual analysis of the music to justify your argument. Surely this is just another of those conspiracy theories that plague many historical figures....and most recently can be seen in the highly non-scientific theories about the Da Vinci Code and the death of Diana Princess of Wales. Really to be convincing you would need to supply a whole lot more detail with regard to the great works of Mozart's maturity.

If you can do that then I think we would all be truly fascinated.

In 1784 (as you may know yourself) Mozart's music takes a leap in quality which amazes us when we compare it with that which preceded it. His thematic catalogue begun in Vienna that year (which we have until now trusted almost to the point of denying our own faculties of judgement) tell us that this incredible string of works beginning that year must necessarily be of his own composition. For Mozart says so. But the same has been said of Haydn and no eyebrows are raised today when we point out the glaring examples of duplicity in his career.

The best answer I can give you at this time is that I know of some 200 works in Koechel which, I strongly believe, were not by Mozart and have strong suspicions on a further 150 or so. Quite enough to suggest that these things are not entirely without some support.

Regards

Robert Newman

Comment

Working...
                              X