So what are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HaydnFan:
    Yes, I love Chopin as well...who doesn't?, lol.
    Well I suppose it's ok for background music whilst you're doing something else.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Yes, I love Chopin as well...who doesn't?, lol.
      Dear HaydnFan;

I do not have a single Chopin CD!

Hofrat
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Neither do I Hofrat, but I still like Chopin!

Ok, ok, not everyone likes Chopin. I can see that I guess. Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          Well I suppose it's ok for background music whilst you're doing something else.

I might say the same about Handel...

Comment

Furtwängler conducting the 9th Symphony at the 1951 Bayreuth Festival. This is the best performance of this great work that I have yet heard.
            "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

What else on this momentous occasion other than the divine Mozart! The first two 'Haydn' Quartets, in G and D minor, both in the more than capable hands of the Quartetto Italiano. Simply sublime!

I'm in two minds about how to further honour the great man afterwards. I'm thinking maybe the 'Jupiter' Symphony or a 'Figaro' highlights disc with the ASMF. Maybe both!

Happy 250th Birthday, Wolfgang...you'll live forever!

------------------
              Seizing fate by the throat...
              Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

I might say the same about Handel...
                Yes I bet you could sleep through the Fireworks Music or Zadok the Priest or the Halellujah chorus...

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

The lark ascending - Vaughan Williams on Classic FM Great way to wake up in the morning!

------------------
                  Beethoven the Man!
                  Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                    The lark ascending - Vaughan Williams on Classic FM Great way to wake up in the morning!

I love this - I have a CD with several of his more well-known works but this piece is my favorite.

I'm currently listening to a CD of all Beethoven adagios. Wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa:

I'm currently listening to a CD of all Beethoven adagios. Wonderful.

Hi Teresa, I have a CD of Beethoven's adagios also which my cousin so kindly recorded for me. It includes The Pathetique, Tempest, and Sonata #10. Nice listening!

This morning via classicl radio was Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 22 in F Op 54
                      Richard Goode, piano. All I can say is WOW (love that 3rd movement)!

------------------
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                        Hi Teresa, I have a CD of Beethoven's adagios also which my cousin so kindly recorded for me. It includes The Pathetique, Tempest, and Sonata #10. Nice listening!

Good morning Joy, Yes! That's the one and I just love it.

Comment

My husband likes Debussy; some of his pieces are ok, but he's really too contemporary for me.

This morning I listened to Chopin's nocturnes. So soothing and so lovely.

Teresa
                          Who was playing them? I have Maria Joao Pires and really like her playing. With Chopin, I find the performance can quite often make or break the music's affectiveness. I bought the Etudes (Ashkenazy, then Pollini) and the Pollini's were far more to my liking. The Ashkenazy were flat sounding, and he sounds as if he's missing some of the notes or cheating to make it through. The Pollini sounds breathtaking AND effortless. An altogether amazing recording.
                          I'm listening to two Palestrina masses. The Missa Papae Marcelli and the Missa Aeterna Christi Munera. They're beautiful and the vocal layering is magnificent. He shapes the music perfectly between the number of voices and the dynamics throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by Brithooven:
                            Who was playing them? I have Maria Joao Pires and really like her playing. With Chopin, I find the performance can quite often make or break the music's affectiveness. I bought the Etudes (Ashkenazy, then Pollini) and the Pollini's were far more to my liking. The Ashkenazy were flat sounding, and he sounds as if he's missing some of the notes or cheating to make it through. The Pollini sounds breathtaking AND effortless. An altogether amazing recording.
                            I'm listening to two Palestrina masses. The Missa Papae Marcelli and the Missa Aeterna Christi Munera. They're beautiful and the vocal layering is magnificent. He shapes the music perfectly between the number of voices and the dynamics throughout.

Hi --

The performers on my nocturnes are Dubravka Tomsic and Peter Schmalfuss. Absolutely gorgeous, and I got the CD for an extremely cheap price on Amazon.

I'll have to try the one you mentioned. I have never thought much about trying different versions of composers works, but of course it only stands to reason that different performers or conductors will interpret pieces differently. For instance, I love Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music doing Handel's Water Music and Royal Fireworks, but I don't care for their version of the Messiah. I also like Murray Perahia as a pianist, but some don't care for him. I have a CD of him doing the Etudes, and I just ordered the two piano concertos with him as the performer. Obviously it opens up so many more musical experiences when you try different versions of the same piece. It's something I need to do more of!

Regards,
                            Teresa

Comment

Tomsic is wonderful. He brings such feeling to the piano. For all the many recordings I have of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, I recently heard Tomsic's and had to buy it.

------------------
                              To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
                              susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
                              To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
                              susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

I'll have to try the one you mentioned. I have never thought much about trying different versions of composers works, but of course it only stands to reason that different performers or conductors will interpret pieces differently. For instance, I love Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music doing Handel's Water Music and Royal Fireworks, but I don't care for their version of the Messiah. I also like Murray Perahia as a pianist, but some don't care for him. I have a CD of him doing the Etudes, and I just ordered the two piano concertos with him as the performer. Obviously it opens up so many more musical experiences when you try different versions of the same piece. It's something I need to do more of!

Hi Teresa,

It is quite interesting to have different versions of different composers and orchestras performing the same music. You can really tell the difference in some of them. In my opinion, some go too fast or some too slow, of course this depends on your tastes. I really like Murray Perahia too and I have his Etudes as well. One of my favourite CD's to listen too. Let me know how well you like the piano concerto CD!

Joy

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X