No announcement yet.

So what are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In response to the discussion above about Haydn symphonies, I love them all! They are delightful pieces; perhaps they do not have the depth of Mozart or Beethoven but they are fantastic for quiet reflection, relaxation, and really, I think put the listener in a good mood. If you even need cheering up, listen to a Haydn symphony!

Joy, I think many of the names came from the musicians who were performing the pieces, I know this is true of the Clock symphony and some of the other ones. I don't know if Haydn named any of them himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Brithooven:
      Thanks for the additional suggestion. I'm more touched by the energy and interpretation of the piece by the performers than by technical perfection, so this sounds like something i will definitely check out in time. For now i'm like a kid in a candy store - i want them ALL and i want them all right NOW.....lol

I'm a massage therapist and have been toying with the idea of playing Beethoven instead of the typical kind of relaxation music we usually play during massages, but i wasn't sure where to start. So i began with my 30% off coupon to Border's Bookstore and ended up with "Beethoven Adagios" by various artists including the Beaux Arts Trio and Itzhak Perlman. It promises to be just what i was looking for.

And of course they gave me even more coupons as i was checking out....

Marcy

For beautifully flowing works, Vivaldi's concertos, especially his many works for violin, are very consistant. His 'Dresdens', 'La Cetra', 'L'estro Arminoco', and 'La Stravaganza' to name a few are excellent. Some of his concertos for other instruments don't necessarily flow as smoothly. I don't know if that's the sound you're looking for, but if it seems interesting you might enjoy investigate Antonio V.

To the forum topic. I'm listening to Telemann's incredible 'Paris Quartets' for flute, violin, cello' and harpsicord. They're miniature masterworks, with a lot of incredible interplay of the instruments and exquisite counterpoint. They're very creative and extremely beautiful. They are certainly overlooked gems! [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall check into more of Vivaldi. His "Four Seasons" is a particular favorite, although i'm not alone in that.

Marcy

------------------
      - and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music ~Nietzsche
      - and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music ~Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan:

Joy, I think many of the names came from the musicians who were performing the pieces, I know this is true of the Clock symphony and some of the other ones. I don't know if Haydn named any of them himself.

Thanks for the info!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by mps1600:
          Thanks for the suggestion. I shall check into more of Vivaldi. His "Four Seasons" is a particular favorite, although i'm not alone in that.

Marcy

Hi Marcy, 'Four Seasons' is one of my favourites too but he did so much more. If you're interested in Vivaldi here are some of his 'greatest hits' to check out:
          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

------------------

Comment

Some of Vivaldi's lovely Violin Concertos. And a wonderful Oboe Concerto by Marcello.

Comment

Today on NPR: Mozart's Rondo, K. 511 with
              pianist Richard Goode. And

Johann Christian Bach's Symphony in G minor, Opus 6, no. 6. Here's what they had to say:
              "The youngest of Johann Sebastian Bach's sons to become a respected composer was Johann Christian. He was just 14 when his father died. He eventually settled in London and became known as the London Bach. Performed by the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra, Andrew Parrott conducting." They also go on to say this may have been the model for Mozart's own G minor Symphony,
              No. 25.

------------------

Comment

Rod dear you would be proud of me - I'm listening to a fascinating set ( on Brilliant) of Handel Organ concertos op 4 and op7 - played by Ivan Sokol and Johann Biber. Very grand and very lovely. Which is your favourite? This was an unexpected and very welcome gift from a colleague or i wouldn't otherwise have got round to it for a long while if at all, but serendipity often brings the most rewarding discoveries

------------------
                Beethoven the Man!
                Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Beethoven's Piano Concerto #2 performed by pianist Emanuel Ax with the orchestra of the Swiss Romande. Marek Janowski conducting.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                    Rod dear you would be proud of me - I'm listening to a fascinating set ( on Brilliant) of Handel Organ concertos op 4 and op7 - played by Ivan Sokol and Johann Biber. Very grand and very lovely. Which is your favourite? This was an unexpected and very welcome gift from a colleague or i wouldn't otherwise have got round to it for a long while if at all, but serendipity often brings the most rewarding discoveries

I've found that Handel is full of surprises. I have the recording op op4 and op7 by Ton Koopman that is very good. If you want me to pick some out I would say from op7 no1 which is very grand, and no4 which has an appealing gloom.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 01-11-2006).]
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      I've found that Handel is full of surprises. I have the recording op op4 and op7 by Ton Koopman that is very good. If you want me to pick some out I would say from op7 no1 which is very grand, and no4 which has an appealing gloom.

See what you mean about op 7/4 - the adagio is very Hammer House of Horrors! A completely different take on Handel from the Oratorios which is all, sadly, of his that i'm at all familiar with. I did spot the recorder sonata transcription in op 4/5 from a recording i have of Michaela Petri, but following this I think I'll want to find the violin sonatas. Shame he didn't do String Quartets as on the basis of some of these movements I think he would have made some very fine ones!

------------------
                      Beethoven the Man!
                      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

I'm listening to Chopin's Etude

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                          See what you mean about op 7/4 - the adagio is very Hammer House of Horrors! A completely different take on Handel from the Oratorios which is all, sadly, of his that i'm at all familiar with. I did spot the recorder sonata transcription in op 4/5 from a recording i have of Michaela Petri, but following this I think I'll want to find the violin sonatas. Shame he didn't do String Quartets as on the basis of some of these movements I think he would have made some very fine ones!

Join my site it you want to hear samples of all of what Handel has on offer:
                          http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

------------------
                          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                            Join my site it you want to hear samples of all of what Handel has on offer:
                            http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

Thank you - I certainly shall take up your kind invitation!

------------------
                            Beethoven the Man!
                            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

This morning it was Symphony No. 5 in c Op 67 Beethoven with conductor Kurt Masur and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra. A wonderful recording. I recommend it. Also a great way to get going in the morning!!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                                This morning it was Symphony No. 5 in c Op 67 Beethoven with conductor Kurt Masur and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra. A wonderful recording. I recommend it. Also a great way to get going in the morning!!

You know, I never get tired of hearing the 5th either, even though it's probably more overplayed than any of his works. There's nothing like the opening of the first movement, but I also love the last movement - to me very majestic sounding!

Comment

Working...
                                X